The Crucial website suggests that my GIGABYTE (ga-78lmt-usb3) can run ballistix 8-8-8-24 when my 8 gig stock DDR RAM was shipped to me on MOBO with timing of 11-11-11-28 with (now up-graded) AMD 8350 with hyper 212 heat-sink & fan, GTX 770, and a 750 W PSU. My current RAM runs at a speed of 1600. The MOBO manual states "support for DDR3 1333+ (o.c.) /1066 MHz memory modules". Right now everything runs lightning fast and silky smooth since I only use this rig for FSX. But once in a while, the windscreens in the PMDG NGX take about a second or two to populate scenery when panning to the left (out of the windows). Very annoying. Now using a WD 1 TB HDD drive. I installed an SSD but don't know what to do with it yet, so I'm investigating RAM at the moment. I have searched the forums for days now, but found nothing definitive about this. Question: is it wise to go from CL 11 all the way to 8 and expect it to work properly without a lot of BIOS tweaks? That would be great if it could work, but...

Thank you all. I will much appreciate any feed back on this.  

This is your QVL for that motherboard...
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-78lmt-usb3.pdf

Different RAM will run at different timings, speeds, and voltages. So if your current RAM is 11-11-11-28-2T and your new ram fits your motherboards voltages and has a timing of 8-8-8-24-2T then you should be fine. According to Gigabyte's website you need to make sure you are running 1.5V DDR3 modules, your motherboard will natively support DDR3 1600 with that FX-8350 CPU.

Ballistix Tactical: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ga-78lmt-usb3/CT3556891

Ballistix Elite: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ga-78lmt-usb3/CT3556927

Personally I prefer G.Skill RAM, I love my new Sniper Series DDR3 1866 memory, albeit I am running 9-10-9-24-2T, its pretty darn quick though. After all is said & done sometimes you have to check values in your BIOS to ensure that you are indeed running the right voltage, speed, and timings.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

You will need to boost your ram voltage a bit.  I'm running mine at 1.6 and they have been trouble free.  

jja

Perhaps I am getting confused by his question, if he is stating that he currently has that Ballistix RAM and its not running the timings right by default then yes, he will need to adjust the voltages to the MFGR specs; however if he has other RAM and is trying to "OC" the timings then he will need some good tweaking to the voltages to get those timings down.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Your RAM timings are not going to fix the problem you are having.. and individual RAM modules are meant to

be run at the speed they were spec'd for.. regardless of whether your motherboard supports tighter timings.

Bert

Yes, the RAM I am running is 1.5v. and the RAM I want to run is 1.5v. So all is good? Thank you all.

Bert, I see your name all over these forums and greatly respect your opinion. So, what do you think will solve my problem beyond the RAM issue, please, Sir.

Sorry, but that I do not know..

My guess is that it is a combination of CPU and GPU power and video memory size that keeps scenery

available at any time.

If you are flying a complex airplane, the focus is going to be on keeping the cockpit view updated, and when you switch views, the sim may struggle to provide you the changed information.  This is not unusual..

RAM speed by itself, however, is not going to change this, in my experience..

Bert

Without to dig to deep , the mems chip ar from differnt vendors Hynix Elpida Samsung.

The companys G-skill Corsair overclock the mems from the standard JEDEC specs to get better performance.

Mem chips is very similar to CPU:s some bad and some good overclockers.

The XMP is the vendors overclocksettings saved in the memory.

lock in the bios for example when you not enabled XMP you get the Jedec setting.

Its not wellknown that you can do your own XMP settings, i have a device to reprogram the standard XMP to my own values very handy when uppgrade to a new bios no need to put in your tweaked settings in bios agian.

Little offtopic , hope it help some to understand the memory secrets , its just buisness for the big boys like G-SKILL Corsair you name it.

Perhaps I am getting confused by his question, if he is stating that he currently has that Ballistix RAM and its not running the timings right by default then yes, he will need to adjust the voltages to the MFGR specs; however if he has other RAM and is trying to "OC" the timings then he will need some good tweaking to the voltages to get those timings down.

I only mention it because some rams require more than their rated voltage especially when over clocking the rest of your system.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I heard that more RAM speed can only help you overclock better at high GHZ, like form say 4.5 to 4.55 at the same power consumption

It plays to the competitive nature of serious overclockers

And has been called nothing more than a sales gimmick.

could be wrong but it would be the FIRST time in my life, well... except ...oh forget it (them)

On CPU bound apps you have benefits with fast ram:s.

The old BCLK overclocking you oc the cpu and ram the same time 45x100=4500mhz 45x101.1=4550mhz and 2426mhz on 2400mems.

On Haswell based systems its more of how good the memcontroller is, if you have a good set of 2666 cl10 mems and your memcontroller cant manage 2600mhz you downclock  to 2400 9-11-11.

To get most out of your system you can try strap 1.25 with memspeed in bios 2000mhz.

36x(100x1.25)=4500mhz on cpu and 2500mhz on mem with 9-12-11 you get a faster system than 2666 cl10.

And dont forget to lower the uncore multiplier to 33-34

As JJ say comand rate 1T instead of 2T is the first step.