Sign in to follow this  
rwat

fsmetar sets visibility to 10 miles or less?

avsim doesn't allow posting of images unless they are from an offsite address. For the ocassional ad hoc image it makes it difficult to illustrate certain points.

So in the settings display I have

special effects- high

Terrain mesh complexity 100%

Terrain Texture size -high

Terrain detail -land only

Water effects - high

dawn/dusk texture blending- ticked

Extended terrain textures - ticked

Scenery complexity- extremely dense

Autogen density- extremely dense

Add-on dynamic scenery-ticked-extremely dense

Ground scenery casts shadows-ticked

Sun glare-ticked

lens flare-ticked

Hardware

Target frame rate-35

Render to texture-ticked

Transform & Lighting - ticked

Filtering-trilinear

Mip mapping quality-4

Hardware rendered lights-8

Global max texture size-massive

When I go on an evening flight. It's really impressive. With very long shadows on the ground not just from buildings but from trees as well.

It's a pity avsim won't allow ad hoc image uploads

Another thing you can try also is to download and save the Metars file. Find the Metar for the airport or reporting station you want and where it says 6SM for example change it to 9999 which is CAVOK or convert say 3SM into meters and then replace the 3SM with 4828 (in this example). Then load that file back into the programme. FSUIPC does come with a lot of tweaks that cover for the shortcomings of "all" weather programmes

Yes I am sure that would work, but I prefer to have the weather auto update, it is easier and more realistic (;

Ah! Those pictures are confusing aren't they. You've just discovered that what's shown in the pictures doesn't match the recommendations in the text...

Try these (screenies in photobucket):

visibility

winds

miscellaneous

clouds

Cheers,

D

edit... you could also experiment with your fs9.cfg file, somewhere in ../documents and settings/application data/microsoft/fs9/ or its equivalent. There's a parameter called TableFog. I don't recall whether it shows in the standard config file but in any case it defaults to TableFog=1. It makes the air rather murky. If you set it to TableFog=0 the air near to you is much less hazy while distant stuff looks more or less as it did before. The only drawback is that it can chop cirrus off half way through leaving them with straight edges. It's useful if you fly mid-altitudes as it makes the ground beneath you much clearer, so making eyeball navigation easier. D

I will try your settings and see if I like them more than the default recommended ones for stuff like visibility, thanks for the help!

Okay, one last problem I have run into, whenever the weather updates when I fly by another weather station, the simulator stutters for a period of time, anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. What I mean by stuttering is I get a consistent frame rate but the sim freezes every 1-2 seconds for about a half second and then the plane appears where it would have been if it didn't freeze, so basically if this happens right before I am about to land, chances are I will slam the plane into the ground because it is impossible to judge when to flair when the plane descends in 50 foot increments every few seconds lol, (my poor Carenado Bonanza found this out the hard way). Anyways, what causes this stuttering and can it be fixed with an fsuipc setting?

Yes I am sure that would work, but I prefer to have the weather auto update, it is easier and more realistic (;

I will try your settings and see if I like them more than the default recommended ones for stuff like visibility, thanks for the help!

Okay, one last problem I have run into, whenever the weather updates when I fly by another weather station, the simulator stutters for a period of time, anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. What I mean by stuttering is I get a consistent frame rate but the sim freezes every 1-2 seconds for about a half second and then the plane appears where it would have been if it didn't freeze, so basically if this happens right before I am about to land, chances are I will slam the plane into the ground because it is impossible to judge when to flair when the plane descends in 50 foot increments every few seconds lol, (my poor Carenado Bonanza found this out the hard way). Anyways, what causes this stuttering and can it be fixed with an fsuipc setting?

I had the stutter problem with ver 1.5.5 so I rolled back to ver 1.5.4 and it was cured. I can't see any real difference between the two versions.

I had the stutter problem with ver 1.5.5 so I rolled back to ver 1.5.4 and it was cured. I can't see any real difference between the two versions.

I have/I am using, version 1.5.4 

. . . what is FS dynamic weather progression?

FS9 Settings/Weather/Rate at which weather changes over time should be set to none. (Slider all the way left.)

FS9 Settings/Weather/Rate at which weather changes over time should be set to none. (Slider all the way left.)

Oh ok, thanks.