Sign in to follow this  
jelder

Looking for someone to try shared cockpit with

I recently ran across this video on the Pilot Edge forums:  

To me, this is the ultimate in flight simming, two people remotely/virtually sharing the cockpit duties in a 737, with essentially real world ATC.  I am a big fan of Pilot Edge, and I am surprised it does not get more play here in the forums.  This flight was flown in X-plane, but I was hoping to try something similar in P3D.  I don't currently have a 737 to try in P3D but would like to try in just a 172 to see how well it works.  

I am located in the Bay Area - CA (PST) and usually fly in the evenings.  PM me if you are interested in trying to connect and fly.  I would like to try it without connecting to Pilot Edge first, to work out the kinks, and then I would like to try it online for the full experience.  I am a VFR rated private pilot, so I am fairly comfortable with the radios, so I would be happy to be someone's copilot.

Best regards.

Jim

Jim!

You are on!

If you check over the PILOTEDGE forum, you will see that I posted and almost identical plea to accomplish the same thing! I am Chas Reed on Pilotedge.

I do have a semi-functional 737 NG in P 3-Dv2.2, but I have a pretty large stable of tube and GA FREEWARE AND PAYWARE.

… And if we could hook up with a simple aircraft we could move on from there. I no longer have an operational FSX, but if we could show show cross platform compatibility for multiplayer shared COCKPIT experiences, WOW,

I am hyped on the idea.

Chas

PILOTEDGE

IFR-11

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

The SmartCopilot plugin only works in X-plane. Not sure if P3D has anything compatible. IIRC FSX's MAddog offers shared piloting. There are a lot of shared cockpit videos on X-plane's twitch channel. The only issue ATM are the models that rely on the FMC for guidance as it's not currently possible to sync them.

Chas,

I found a couple of experienced guys here that have done multiplayer and shared cockpit in P3D.  We are supposed to connect tomorrow night and they are going to show me the ropes.  Once I get it figured out, I would be happy to connect.

Jim

I'm personally still amazed that shared cockpit is still so damned limited. I do know that the Majestic Dash 8 just got P3D compatibility and whenever they release the next tier of the product it will include a shared cockpit functionality that should be the most polished of any yet done in FSX/P3D. I'll definitely be watching for that. There was also some subforum on this site that had some program being designed for the NGX and a shared cockpit. Not very active though so don't know how good it is.

Maybe we need to commission a developer to do this for us. Something like the native shared cockpit in Fsx.

Is this possible in the Real Air Turbine Duke? I'd love to do it in that with someone.

It's for X-plane 10 http://xsmart-plane.com/smartcopilot/ there are a number of planes supported check the .org for more plugins.

Once PMDG releases their bird and/if a plugin is made I expect some of the hard-core FSX camp to give it a boost of interest. There are a number Twitch Streamers who utilize it.

Is this possible in the Real Air Turbine Duke? I'd love to do it in that with someone.

I guess it should work.

This video is with FSX but at least it show that RealAir airplanes work great in shared cockpit flights :

I would love to have a confirmation for P3D.

Haven't tried the Turbine Duke Shared Cockpit in P3D  yet but it should work , Most all of the Carenado planes will work, Jim, (Jelder) and I have shot touch and 

goes in the C-550 using shared cockpit and it worked just fine along with quite a few other Carenado/ Alabeo  Planes, it does take some work to get everything 

synce'd  up  but once you do it's the only way to fly. I have Shared cockpit in the NGX and other than my Trim wheel not working it was pretty fun. 

Here we are in a 5 ship Multi player flight we did awhile back,  Jim is flying the Amphib, We fly MP  quite a bit so PM me if you would like to give it a shot.

Marty

Multi5-2.jpg

I guess it should work.

This video is with FSX but at least it show that RealAir airplanes work great in shared cockpit flights :

I would love to have a confirmation for P3D.

Great vid!

... Just found (...slappin' am haid!) fr92Furtif's video...tres Cool!!!

My brother in Atlanta lives on a fixed income...shoot...so will I!... Very soon!...anyhow, he enjoyed my sharing my Skype screen as I flew P3dv2.5, on an FSEconomy mission. He said, using a relatively old laptop, that it was beautiful AND smooth and buffer free! But he couldn't hear the sim, only my voice.

I think I have found an answer for that, via Virtual Audio Cable(VAC) so he can enjoy the sounds in P3d including environment, cockpit, ATC and engine sounds ..I will keep y'all posted on that.

But wouldn't it be cool if he could do the PNF duties??

I wonder if there was a remote way like shared Skype screen and Teamviewer(for momentary PNF control) to let a partner who has NO installed flight sim to serve as PNF . IYP??

Then he/she could enjoy all MY machine's CPU/GPU AND add-ons(Scenery, GTN-750, TrackIR, FTXXxxx, PMDG 737, RA Turbine Duke, etc,etc) without having to purchase them.

And yes, I have P3d , x-plane and FSX SE, in order of preference and use, and yes I am willing to buy him FSX SE, but then he would have to buy all my stuff to enjoy the benefits....thus the shared Skype screen scenario.

ANY INPUT would be gratefully welcomed!

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Chas,

I'm not sure if your question is about someone watching you or someone participating as a copilot.

If it's someone watching you fly, I recommend getting Open Broadcaster (free) and a free Twitch account.  There are plenty of how-to videos so I won't cover that here.

If you're talking about Shared Cockpit, then your best option is to use Skype without Push-to-Mute (Talk) being selected, which allows for the communication to take place just as if your copilot is sitting next to you.  You can Skype video as well, or stream your webcam (only one or the other unless you have two webcams or possibly if you use something like ManyCam (maybe).

If you flying shared cockpit on VATSIM, you'll both need a program which will automatically bind the Skype Push-to-Mute function anytime either of you press the VATSIM radio transmit key / button. This way the listening pilot won't hear you twice (once over Skype and after a 1/2 second delay again over VATSIM frequency (it's very, VERY disorienting). 

I hope you find this information helpful.  Happy flying!

EDIT:  I almost forgot.... You can use Virtual Audio Cable to pipe the sound from Skype, your Sim and even VATSIM.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Chas,

I'm not sure if your question is about someone watching you or someone participating as a copilot.

If it's ...

...I hope you find this information helpful. Happy flying!

EDIT: I almost forgot.... You can use Virtual Audio Cable to pipe the sound from Skype, your Sim and even VATSIM.

Dave,

Thanks for the speedy reply...

I don't have the bandwidth for Twitch,(less than 1MB UP) and as you see I am working on the VAC over Skype shared screen solution, so that is first priority, THEN we attack the notion of HIS controlling my screen as needed as PNF/co-pilot.

Regards,

Chas

Given your available bandwidth, I can tell you that you'll both likely suffer significant lag that will make it next to impossible to fly.  I know this because we once did this to help a new member of our group... and we're very experienced with networking, screen sharing, and shared cockpit.  If you still want to give this a go, then I'd recommend TeamViewer, however he won't be able to manage the aircraft simply because of the lag.

Instead, I recommend spending just a little money to purchase the Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321.  This aircraft works very, very well in Shared cockpit and you guys will have many hours of great fun flying together.  If you don't like the Airbus, there is the Leonardo Maddog MD-80 (however it takes some experience to get the shared cockpit connected), or wait until later this year for the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional.  Sometime next year there will be a Boeing 717 (basically an MD-80 with full glass cockpit (six digital displays).

Right now.... I'd get the Aerosoft Airbus... you guys will never, ever regret it and I'll say it again, you'll both enjoy hours and hours of great fun instead of frustration.

Hope you find this helpful.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.