Sign in to follow this  
MD83

freeware EGKK Gatwick for fs9?

Guest Charlie Hall

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there is a freeware scenery for EGKK London Gatwick that works well with FS9. I found one, or rather two similar versions, from the same author for FS2002, it works and I like the added buildings, and it would be worth making a suitable AfCad file for it, but it has a few problems with FS9, as it adds taxiway signs which also happen to be on the taxiways instead of the grass. Also the later of the 2 versions adds a fictitious taxiway between the old and new runways that is not covered properly by the runways so from that point of view the older version is better. I do not know how to remove the taxi signs from the addon scenery and I don't think I could live with the scenery as it is, certainly not to the point of bothering to make a suitable AfCad. I know of the UK2000 scenery and did purchase Heathrow Pro but I was just looking for ways to enhance the stock Gatwick scenery as I wouldn't be using it enough to justify a purchase. I suppose I could try to contact the author but would have thought that he might have updated it by now if he was intending to do so.

Guest Charlie Hall

Thank you for the links JP. I already had the first but I did not know about Heather's site. It looks very useful too. Hewever, neither of the sites contain a suitable version of EGKK for FS9. Both do have the FS2002 versions that I have already tried. If only I could learn how to remove the taxi signs! But I do not follow the instructions very well for the various disassembler programs I have seen, nor am I sure that I would know how to recompile the files into a suitable bgl. I am sure that the scenery could be entirely suitable for FS9 if the signs could be removed.

Charlie,You cannot go wrong with Gary Summons' great UK2000 sceneries.I understand you are looking for a freeware version, but you cannot argue the price of 8 quid for a highly detailed airport modified to work with FS9.Here's a link: http://www.uk2000scenery.com/main/order.htmIf you need more info drop me an email at db@propilots.netCheers,Dom

Guest BAW843

Hi,If you just wait a few more months Gary of UK2000 is currently working on a Gatwick Pro which I am sure will be magnificent!Again obvioulsy this being payware and not freeware.Might be worth monitoring the UK2000 forum for any screenshots etc.Regards

Guest Charlie Hall

Thanks Dom and Phil, Looks like I will either learn how to understand bgl files better or keep an eye on the UK2000 site. I found how to disassemble and recompile bgl files last night. Not too difficult after all, but knowing what lines to eliminate and how to set up what remains is still beyond me at this time. I ended up with more stuff than I thought I had removed! lol. I know 8 pounds is not a lot to pay but as I said I don't think it would be of good value for me especially if I could make the existing freeware work. I'll keep trying for the moment as the time spent will be worth it for knowledge gained. Thanks again.

I've been using the UK2000 Heathrow and Gatwick scenery since 2001 :D. They are very good, and well worth the money :) I'll upgrade to the latest versions when FS2006 arrives.