Sign in to follow this  
max2770

My first time crashing the T7... (and first accident in years)

Well, I crashed.  Had a very uneventful flight (ACA832 CYUL-EBBR), but on approach to Brussels, I was greeted with intense thunderstorms that made the airspeed surge from almost stall speeds to overspeed.  It was quite joyful.

Well, the speeds went around a lot, and I disconnected the AP first, and then the AT because I was nearing stalls, had the shaker a couple of times - still, no windshear warning.  I should have called a missed approach.  I didn't.

Right over the runway, I was stuck in a massive, extreme downdraft, impacted the ground gear first at 1600fpm.  Crash detect might be off, I know what that means.  It hits me because I try to be a safe sim pilot, I'm training for my PPL in real life, and I realize I made a bad call.

Be safe, even in virtual skies!

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

sig01.png

Crashed for the first time ever. Happened in WSSS last week from Brisbane on A6-ENG. I've written the aircraft off(deleted from the pmdg 777 folder). Experienced a stall 400ft AGL trying to land on 20R and smashed into the ground at 1400fpm in an attempt to land in the stormy weather. Learnt my lessons.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

If you are using Active Sky Next, what it sounds like you had hit there was a microburst, they tend to hide in thunderstorms and they are VERY deadly at low altitudes. There is a special version of Air Crash Investigation that you can watch on youtube, I high recommend you watch it as its very informative. There is a reason why a majority of pilots do not like to fly through CB's especially on approach or landing.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

If you are using Active Sky Next, what it sounds like you had hit there was a microburst, they tend to hide in thunderstorms and they are VERY deadly at low altitudes. There is a special version of Air Crash Investigation that you can watch on youtube, I high recommend you watch it as its very informative. There is a reason why a majority of pilots do not like to fly through CB's especially on approach or landing.

Yes, I think that's what it was.  ASN really is incredible.  I will watch that episode for sure, thanks!

sig01.png

Yes, I think that's what it was.  ASN really is incredible.  I will watch that episode for sure, thanks!

Never knew ASN was capable of doing that which is why I wasn't expecting it.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

I don't know why the predictive windshear didn't go off though - I had alerts in the past and avoided those situations, but this time, it never went off.

sig01.png

Active Sky Next is pretty accurate in the simulation of microbursts, sometimes a microburst will not set off windshear warnings until its too late, and there have been situations where no windshear warning was given in a microburst. The really scary thing about mirobursts is that they are in effect undetectable, even with high gain penetrative RADAR systems. There are tell tale signs to look for but nothing that can guarantee that you are looking at a microburst, the general idea is to stay out of high density CB's when on approach.

CFIT on approach to PHNL. It was my first flight in many months. I cited lack of situational awareness, lack of currency in the aircraft, plain negligence, bad piloting, and anything else I could think of as the cause of the accident.

I don't know why the predictive windshear didn't go off though - I had alerts in the past and avoided those situations, but this time, it never went off.

sometimes a microburst will not set off windshear warnings until its too late, and there have been situations where no windshear warning was given in a microburst.

Just something to remember (T7 FCOMv2: 15.20.24 p. 1248/1249):

(quote) "In flight with the WXR switch pushed or not pushed, weather radar begins scanning for windshear below 2,300 feet radio altitude and PWS alerts are enabled below 1,200 feet radio altitude." (quote end)

The weather radar changes to a PWS capable scan mode below 2300 ft AGL,  but there will be no PWS alerts above 1200ft AGL.

Extreme example: when entering a windshear on approach there won't be a warning even after recently having passed the outer marker (LOM)...

Thanks for that explanation. I was just going over that section too. It is entirely possible that I was under 1200 AGL.

sig01.png

Thanks for that explanation. I was just going over that section too. It is entirely possible that I was under 1200 AGL.

I am not familiar with the AP systems on the 777, however, from the ACI video I do know what a MB when at 1500 AGL or lower has a very high chance to become fatal. This coupled with what was just said by vr-pilot makes for a very bad time indeed. ASN really does know how to make a pilot scared and sweat about 10lbs on approach with inclement weather.

Here is a video of my friend landing into MHTG just before me on Vatsim a month or so ago, he had ASN running and hit a microburst on very short final and it didn't end too well. I ended up going into a hold for about 20 minutes while I waited for the microburst to die down and shot the approach and landed safely.

a bit like my approach to EGCC, which is my home airport, CB's on the area, 773 was being thrown EVERYWHERE disconnected AP/AT hand flew, and I was having trouble just keeping her straight, on the flare it seems the plane was thrown on the runway, no warnings of windshear etc etc.. bang -962ft slammer on the runway, I hope it was ASN  and microbursts and not my flying... :huh:

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

ASN bugs, cool, but not realistic.

-Iain Watson-