Hi,

Its been a while since the last time I posted on this forum and a very long time from when I last flew in FSX.

So I started a while back to upgrade my System

I got as far as

RAM

PSU Corsair HX750

SSD

Then stopped and never got round to doing the rest due to lack of time

Now I want to upgrade my

CPU

MOBO

Cooling

I have been reading a little about CPU's am I right in thinking that the more GHZ the better ?

I was looking at the AMD FX 4.7Ghz with Turbo 5Ghz

But I have noticed a lot of people are mentioning Intel i7 ?? Awhile back when I was upgrading all people use to talk about was how i5 was better than the i7 am I right this is no longer the case

Can anyone recommend a good CPU-MOBO Cooling maybe H100 ?

Would I be better with an intel 4.6 or AMD 4.7

Craig

Intel 4790k, suitable Z97 motherboard, H100 or H105.  Job done.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

What is that at standard ? 3.6 or 4  Ghz ? so wouldn't the AMD at 4.7 be a better choice or am I missing something ?

Also when it comes to the GPU would I be better off with one at 2gb or 2x 1gb running SLI what I am after is the cheapest option that would work

also I wont be doing any overclocking ( as I don't no how the hell too ) lol

Any recommendations as where to buy ?

only places I know

Scan

overclockers

Craig

i7-4790K is the way to go right now, and AMD is not competitive (for FSX).

SLI is not supported for FSX, so a fast single card is what you are after.. suggest GTX770.

Check pricing at Newegg for starters (or NCIX in Canada).

Bert

Thank you for the reply.

I have now AMD phenom 964 3.4ghz as standard and a friend has an intel not sure what one but I know its less than mine mine also has 4 cores and his as 3. I have noticed that he seems to get better game play on fsx than I do.

Now I know the reason

Oh just checked out the GTX 770 there are so many types ? would I be better with a 2gb or will fsx use 4gb ? fsx is all that will be played on this computer

Ill check them places out thanks for your advice

Craig

For the GTX770, 2 GB is fine... mine is an Asus model, but EVGA is very good too.

Not disagreeing with that at all, but if the OP can spring for the 4g, it is very handy to have when you start going to the higher Nvidia insp settings and using the BP=0 tweak. Not to mention the ton of high end addons for FSX these days.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There were a mention of a Z97 mobo however there are so many. Any pointers ? As you can tell clueless.

Appreciate all your help.

Craig

Not disagreeing with that at all, but if the OP can spring for the 4g, it is very handy to have when you start going to the higher Nvidia insp settings and using the BP=0 tweak. Not to mention the ton of high end addons for FSX these days.

Interesting.. I have yet to run into anyone using more than 1.5 GB in FSX, on a single monitor..

X-Plane, P3D, sure... but FSX... :unsure:

Bert

There were a mention of a Z97 mobo however there are so many. Any pointers ? As you can tell clueless.

Craig

Craig

Asus Z97-A will do the job.

Bert

Interesting.. I have yet to run into anyone using more than 1.5 GB in FSX, on a single monitor..

X-Plane, P3D, sure... but FSX... :unsure:

Hi Bert,

Back last year I upgraded to my 3570k and pushed it as far as I could, but still was not getting what I expected in FSX, so being a bit nervous of high vcore and the temps that come with it, I decided to drop back to my present 4.3g OC with very little if any loss in performance. This was while on a GTX 580 1.5g, not a 700 series card I grant you, but no slouch either.

Early this year I decided to splurge and got my present 4g 770 Classified, plonked it in without touching my 4.3 OC and the difference was night and day.

I can now handle high NI settings at FSDT CYVR nice and smooth with FPS in the 30s & 40s.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Bert,

Back last year I upgraded to my 3570k and pushed it as far as I could, but still was not getting what I expected in FSX, so being a bit nervous of high vcore and the temps that come with it, I decided to drop back to my present 4.3g OC with very little if any loss in performance. This was while on a GTX 580 1.5g, not a 700 series card I grant you, but no slouch either.

Early this year I decided to splurge and got my present 4g 770 Classified, plonked it in without touching my 4.3 OC and the difference was night and day.

I can now handle high NI settings at FSDT CYVR nice and smooth with FPS in the 30s & 40s.

Yes, I had a similar experience, upgrading to a 770..  My theory is that it is the sheer rendering power and bandwidth of the 770, not the additional on board memory  ^_^

Bert

Craig

I run a MSI Z97 gaming 7 mobo and I've very happy with it. I think I paid $189

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So I have another question.

my intentions are to get

H100i Corsair

Intel I7 4790k

Asus Z97 - A

MIS Geforce GTX 770 Twin Frozr 4GB

The PSU I already have is a Corsair HX 750 now will this be enough to power my computer or will I need to upgrade the PSU too ?

Craig