Hello,

Wondering how a Gigabyte GTX650 GDDR5-4GB graphics card would perform on a 64-Bit Windows 7 system with FSX. I have 8GB RAM installed. Upgrading from a ATI5670 1GB GDDR5 in Crossfire. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

FDX706

A GTX650 is OK.. a 660 would be better..

The 4 GB does not do much for you.. 1 GB is actually sufficient for FSX and single monitor.

What CPU do you have?

Bert

With that CPU, the GTX 650 is probably not a bad match..

Can you overclock the CPU at all?  Say to 3.2 GHz.. that would help.

Bert

I have a 750ti and an i5 3330@3.2 GHz... a bit more powerful than your system. With most sliders to the right (except water and autogen) and 40% WOAI traffic, I get about 20 fps at JFK in the NGX. The framerate will hopefully be better when I get REX.

I'm doing research on using the Intel extreme tuning utility to see how over clocking would work

I too am looking for a new Nvidia graphics card and was looking at a competitively-priced 770GTX 2Gb.Will that cut the mustard allied to a Haswell i5-4670k which I hope to take to 4.4.GHz coupled with 16Gb/1600MHz RAM?

Having just upgraded from a GTX460 to a GTX770 with an i7-4770K, I would say yes - most definitely.

BTW.. For FSX, 8 GB RAM will also do it..

Bert

So after taking Bert's advice, I overclocked my CPU using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Its's now at 3.1 No-Turbo Boost to 3.4 with the Turbo Boost. I installed the GTX650 and afte the Nvidia Inspector tweak, I now receiving a locked 25-30 FPS..Even with PMDG 777X.  I varies between 19-23 when using Activesky Next in stormy weather. Overall, its way better than It was without the overclock and the ATI card,.

Hi Bert

Just in the middle of building my new 4th Generation-based Haswell system based on an Asus Z78-A Socket 1150 motherboard. Stock CPU speed =3.4GHz. How can I take it to 4.5GHz or higher? Using the much-advocated in this forum Noctua NH-D14 cooler, plus the Antec 900/2 case has a massive 240mm fan in the roof of the case, augmented by 3 x120mm at the front mesh + 1 x 120mm at the rear, so heat disposal will not be an issue.

Graphics card I will add when it is back in stock.

Was contemplating buying a brand new Corsair Carbide 300R today but saw not much point in making a perfectly working Antec 900/2 case redundant.

Have you got a step-by-step guide that you can PM me? If you have, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Thanks for that, Bert. Just had a quick peek at it. Do not want to go his route of de-lidding the expensive CPU ship. Any other way to OC it via the BIOS? I did it with my present Q6600 and an Asus mobo, so can I not go the same route?

Just keep reading... de-lidding is only if you want to go past 4.6 GHz..

Nick does 4.1 - 4.3 - etc just by adjusting the BIOS.

Bert