Sign in to follow this  
jeffer_1

Looking to upgrade my system for FSX, will this system work?

Great info guys!   :Applause:   Keep 'em coming please, cause I need as much as possible before I lay down the cash.

Referring to my "Ultra Realistic needs" vs FPS, is there any payware addons for scenery that may help my FPS in most settings? Reason I ask is because I watched a YouTube video about a comparison between FSX default scenery vs. ORBX FTX "Global" Scenery.  The guy said he actually got a 10 FPS increase using the FTX scenery. Just got me wondering.

On compromises, I will decease water effects (reflections, etc) for sure to help wth FPS.  Would like to keep the 3D clouds in the mix.

Oh, on the Case: It will be an Antec 302. Fans: one on top (standard set up) plus the standard rear fan, and options for two side fans.

Also, this new system comes with Windows 7 Pro.   Do I need the Pro version?  Wondering if just Win 7 Home Deluxe will suit FSX and the system just fine by itself? 

Also, this new system comes with Windows 7 Pro.   Do I need the Pro version?  Wondering if just Win 7 Home Deluxe will suit FSX and the system just fine by itself?

No you don't need the pro version.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I am waiting for price quotes for the upgraded HW from the company that is to build my system and then make the deal.  Looks like they will have to order an upgraded ASUS Mobo and the i7 4770.

I also looked at Nick Needham's FSX Bible, very informative.  I will use it when installing FSX. 

Question: When I do get the system, which Internet Security should I put on it?  I use Kaspersky on my other machines and have used it for FS9 on the old XP machine that is being replaced.

Question:  I have looked at Jetline Systems for build and price comparison reasons, but are their other firms that custom make PCs for FSX like Jetline?  Has anybody here bought one from Jetline (or know of others who did).  Just courious what the thoughts are on it.

Nick recommends ESET NOD32 as the least invasive antivirus tool, (if you set it up like he says) but MS Essentials is my choice.

I don´t know Jetline, I prefer to buy parts and build/assemble the whole PC myself.

MS Essentials is my choice.

+1

I don´t know Jetline, I prefer to buy parts and build/assemble the whole PC myself.

+1

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Make sure that 4770 is the 4770K version... The unlocked multiplier for easy OCing

As for Jetline they have decent praise from people around here - if you have money. IMHO they are far too overpriced.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Got the quote back today, was somewhat shocked at the sticker price they quoted me for the upgrades.  :Shocked:  

So I am probably going to go with the stock System 1 and see if they can put a GTX 680 in it, rather than the 660. Nick N. wrote in his "bible" that the 680 is a good match with the  i7-3770K.  I will have Windows 7 Pro put on, plus I think it has XP Mode which may be useful (maybe for FS9) perhaps.  Not sure, haven't checked the threads yet.  But I have other non-flightsim software that can only run on XP.

I just hope that I will be at least be able to run UTX and GEX ok with that system with sliders nearly full right, I seen screenshots and vids of those loaded on FSX.  Nice!  :Drooling:

Question: I have looked at Jetline Systems for build and price comparison reasons, but are their other firms that custom make PCs for FSX like Jetline? Has anybody here bought one from Jetline (or know of others who did). Just courious what the thoughts are on it.

You get a lot more choices/customization options at Cyberpowerpc and I think prices are a lot better too. I am not going to fall for this 'we build for FSX', anybody that makes custom gaming PCs can make a system for 'FSX'. My second choice would be a system from Xidax (lifetime warranty).

You get a lot more choices/customization options at Cyberpowerpc and I think prices are a lot better too. I am not going to fall for this 'we build for FSX', anybody that makes custom gaming PCs can make a system for 'FSX'. My second choice would be a system from Xidax (lifetime warranty).

Visited both sites. Wow, lots of options. I would need to be hand-guided on those selections as it pertained to the FSX needs.   I will stick with the local PC shop (plus my brother is the Certified Apple tech there),

Another question:  The SSD on the system 1 is only 180GB (that could be increased to 250GB).  What would the free space remaining roughly be after WIN 7 Pro is installed?    Just wondering if I would have to install FSX on the 1TB 'spinner', not knowing how many add-ons I will eventually install over the years to come. Plus I will be reinstalling FS9 too.

I would always install OS on my SSD.

I think Win 7 installation takes about 20 GB.

Make that about 50 GB on my system... after three months of use..

Bert

Make that about 50 GB on my system... after three months of use..

Ok Thanks Bert, I shouldn't need to worry about space for a while then.

Michael, I'll put the OS and FSX and FS9 both on the SSD  - but both flight sims away from the Program Files folder or the x86 folder. Just make seperate folders for each under C:.   Probably have the 1TB spinner partitioned 50/50 to keep back up files on one side and keep the other free if I need to install other programs that might squeeze the SSD size availability.

Make sure that 4770 is the 4770K version... The unlocked multiplier for easy OCing

They don't have the  i7-4770K, but the i7 -4770.  I plan not to overclock anything and play it safe without potential heating or other issues.  They do have the ASUS P8Z77-V LK available.  So I will get that Mobo installed and be looking to get the 4770 as well. 

Other than not being able to OC, is there any other drawbacks to that 4770 (non-K) processor?

The stock i7-3770K does have Turbo to get it up to 3.9Ghz, I am wondering it that would be better than a stock i7-4770?

Will also get a 750W PSU for possible VC upgrades in the future.  I need to ask them about what speed the 16GB RAM is.

What RAM speed should be optimal with the i7-4770, with the ASUS P8Z77-V LK? 

Might stick with the GTX 660 unless anybody here has an issue that needs to be brought up.

Insist on the 4770K!   .. or a 4790K.

Can you not get them to order one in?

Why go with a less powerful CPU?

Bert