Sign in to follow this  
meccadom

FSX Backup Scheme

I would like to make a backup of my existing FSX installation,  My FSX installation and all related scenery and third party programs reside on my drive designated as "F".  

Does anyone who has made a backup of their FSX have an inventory of those files that were included in their backup scheme including those files installed on the "C" drive by default?

thanks

Dom

Far safer to take a full disk image backup using something like Acronis or similar. Otherwise most likely you will miss something.

Me too, Acronis full image, usually every night before I make any changes, and after changes are made and confirmed working ok.

23.png

Thanks for the responses.  I also use Acronis.

When you perform your backups, do you image your entire "C" drive also assuming your FSX installation is on a drive other than "C"?.

Are there particular files you specifiy?

Dom

In my case I have everything on the same drive, so yes, full image backup of C:

23.png

In my case I have everything on the same drive, so yes, full image backup of C:

Me too. I guess if I used multiple drives I would image them all.

Yes, don't think that should make a difference.

I made a blunder three years ago, when getting back into FS after few years. Should have splitted Windows and FSX on two different drives.

I now would like to roll back everything on two different SSD's but having it all on one drive makes it difficult. Heading for a totally new build and reinstall me thinks :)

23.png

Acronis is good, but some people like to do FSX backups manually. Just to answer the original question, these are all the folders you need to backup:

-Main FSX folder

-C/User/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

-C/User/AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX (just shaders here but worth backing up anyway)

-C/User/MyDocuments/FlightSimulatorXFiles

-C/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX

You can still restore single files and directories from an Acronis image.

The problem with manual backups is that the restoring after an unfortunate incident has an ugly tendency to go pearshaped pretty fast.

If you really need to restore, a full image restore is much safer.

23.png

Which Acronis product do you buy for Windows platforms? The True Image 2014 one?

Eric 

Which Acronis product do you buy for Windows platforms? The True Image 2014 one?

YES

Thanks to all but a special thank you to "BeachPapa" for precisely answering my original question.

Dom

I use Norton Ghost  for backup which is also very good.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I'll echo Acronis and a full image back up. I have my fsx drive backed up to a nas in raid 1 configuration and the nas backed up to another external drive. After having to reinstall fsx from scratch a few times, I don't want to do it again.