Sign in to follow this  
Eikthrynir

Which PMDG aircraft to choose as beginner

Hello!

I am an absolute beginner regarding the MS Flight Simulator and the PMDG products. I would like to purchase one of the PMDG aircraft. I'm interested in MD-11, 747, 737 and 777 at the moment.

The problem is that I cannot decide which one to choose. Which one (from those listed above) would be more suitable to begin with? What I would like to do is to begin flying the (let's say) "easiest" to maneuver, the one with less engine power, and things like that. And then progress to the next one, bigger, more engine power etc. Something like a "career mode".

Could anyone give a few hints? (like "Hey, start with 737-600, then 737-700 etc. then 777, then 747, then MD-11", for example).

Thanks in advance!

None of these are beginner aircrafts but I'd start with the 777 since its more automated and with the service pack that just got released its much better and a joy to fly. Which ever once you decided to get just know that these are study planes so you will need to put some time in to learn the systems but it is well worth it in the end.

Good luck

Pierre W

And then progress to the next one, bigger, more engine power etc. Something like a "career mode".

Unfortunately, the industry is rather backward in this regard. The bigger jets tend to be more technically advanced and easier to fly than a lot of the small stuff.

So, do you want easy, or do you want a more realistic career mode?

If you want easy, like Pierre, I'd recommend the 777.  It's very highly automated, but gets you exposed to managing different systems, an FMS, and a more realistic autopilot.

If you want career progression, start with the JS4100 or 737 (airlines generally don't make a big deal about progression between the 600/700/800/900 - it may be implicit, though, based on available routes, and how other pilots bid, though).

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, I know there are hundreds if not thousands of pages to read before actually flying these planes. I will definitely enjoy doing that (that's why I chose PMDG).

I am very well aware of the fact that they are not "beginner aircraft". Of course, I will start with Cessna 172 :) But I wanted a few hints in order to make a better decision when I will eventually purchase my first PMDG aircraft.

Thank you for your answers!

I would recommend the 737NGX because it's not as automated as the 777. Don't get me wrong, the 777 is a lot of fun to fly with all its featurs but I think it is harder to fly the 737 after you learned the 777. 

For me learning the 777 after the 737 wasn't a big deal. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Yes, I know there are hundreds if not thousands of pages to read before actually flying these planes. I will definitely enjoy doing that (that's why I chose PMDG).

I am very well aware of the fact that they are not "beginner aircraft". Of course, I will start with Cessna 172 :) But I wanted a few hints in order to make a better decision when I will eventually purchase my first PMDG aircraft.

Thank you for your answers!

It can be easy to be overwhelmed by the exhaustive documentation that comes with these wonderful planes. I'd recommend that, initially, you read and then fly the tutorial ( or two) that comes with them. You'll learn much of what you need to fly them and can then turn to the other docs for details, background, atypical procedures, etc.

Enjoy ( and get the 777 first...)!

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I started with Airbus X, because it looked nice and the systems were not so detailed (But after a while it is a little bit boring. I was not happy with this product after some time). After that I bought the PMDG MD-11, then the 747 and now the 777-200LR/300ER. 

I think you can start with a little bit training with the T7 (Documents, Videos,....) . Enjoy it. The 777 makes a lot fun, is very detailed and looks beautiful.

P.S: When I started with this professional Airplanes, my first flight was a little bit "horrible". But after some training this kind of flying was wunderful and I am happy that I started with it.

I would start with the 737NGX.  I think you will find it easier to manage in terms of the power, speed control, hand flying, etc.   Plus it gives you so many better options in terms of types of routes to fly.  Lots of real world short, medium hauls and lots so many airlines fly it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

They're all complex but that's the fun of it. The 737 is my favorite. Only a few months into FS when I purchased it, I did the tutorial flights to get started. There are also some great (and not so great) YouTube videos out there that are of big help. The rest I filled in with the manual as needed.

Kyle Rodgers, who posted above has some very insightful, quality videos on the NGX. You need to understand basic concepts and nomenclature for these videos to make sense though.

It's not as daunting as you would think, but a good ideal to learn the basics first (if you haven't already) before you try and tackle PMDG's. Have fun.

Cheers,

Brian

Kyle Rodgers, who posted above has some very insightful, quality videos on the NGX.

Thanks for the mention!

Kyle Rodgers

Maybe another thought... Since the Boeings are indeed quite a handful if you've only just started with flightsimming and you dont want to start with GA aircrafts:

The Majestic Dash8-Q400

I see this aircraft as a very suitable step up between GA and the bigger airliners and it provides a good basis to get familiar with the more complex systems of modern airliners.

And it's a truly beautiful aircraft if you want some eye-candy, with very detailed systems, like the PMDGs.

And maybe a tip for you. For the Dash8, there's very good training video program in 10 lessons (so far. This is only the first part of 3) from Airline2sim and for the Boeings you could have a look at the Angle of Attack training videos. But Airline2sim is also working on training videos for Boeing, only far as I understand, this one is a general training for Boeing, while Angle of Attack has specific training for different Boeing models.

Cheers!

Maarten

The Dash 8 is a great sim but not ideal for beginners. Turboprops are much more tricky to handle, anyway the question was which PMDG sim. I would say definitely the NGX. It's a complex simulation but the 737 is a very simple aircraft with simple systems. It's also conventional being essentially a 1960s design. So you learn to fly, not learn to drive automated systems.

ki9cAAb.jpg

triple 7, then the 737-800, the triple 7 has to be the easiest plane i have ever flown, if you want to start with something even easier try the aerosoft a320 as your first officer does almost everything for you and you can learn as you go and then shut him off,i know you were asking about pmdg just thought i would throw in another recommendation. 

1.  A2A Simulations C-172

2.  RealAir B60 v2

3.  Majestic Q-400

4.  PMDG 737 NGX

5.  PMDG 777 300ER

Good list. Here' s my own version of "career progression", from the basics to the most advanced:

1. A2A Piper Cub

1. A2A Cessna 172

2. RealAir Lancair Legacy

3. RealAir Beechcraft Duke B60

4. RealAir (seeing a pattern yet? :smile:) Turbine Duke

5. Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

6. Majestic Q400

7. Quality Wings BAe 146/Avro RJ

8. PMDG or iFly 737

9. PMDG 777?

I don't have #8 or 9# yet as I have a very modest system. #6 and #7 could probably be swapped around in terms of complexity.