Sign in to follow this  
Eikthrynir

Which PMDG aircraft to choose as beginner

For your sake to avoid stress, please begin with a Cessna 172 and fly simple flights. Practice flights with GPS and then move on the VOR navigation... Once succesfull in it, move on to a simply commuter jet such as the B1900.. If you are proficient with the 1900 or your aircraft of choice, you might want to move on to the MD11 as it's a fine automated aircraft taking a lot of your workload off. Rome wasn't built in a day, nether was an airline pilot.

As for me personally, I began flying the Cessna 172 on regional flights in Belarus, later I moved on to the An-2, later my first passenger turboprop An-24, while the An-24 was my first complex passenger aircraft, and from there, I moved on to the Yak-40, later to begin flights with the Tu-154M a year later - The most complex plane for FS9 (harder to fly than PMDG). It was tough, it was hard, but it was worth it.

All good posts above but you seem to miss the easiest plane to master is  the concorde by fsl :lol:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes,i have forgotten to mention the FSLabs excellent 2-mach airplane,a choice !

I would recommend starting with a short-haul aircraft (737,or perhaps the 172 trainer) as opposed to the long-haul 777/747. The short haul planes will allow you to learn take-offs and landings more often due to their flight times. Just my opinion.

Above all, be prepared to do a lot or studying. Whether it's reading or watching you-tube videos, there are so many websites out there to assist you. Don't be afraid to ask questions in these forums, where many knowledgeable people (read: people other than myself...lol) will be more than happy to provide answers. The learning curve can be quite steep, depending on how much you want to learn. But in the end, I find it to be a very rewarding experience.

Good luck!!!!

I fly the 777 almost all the time short haul. :)  scared of OOMs! LOL :P

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Do you mean ,you would not recommend the 777 for beginner,which one else then as jet

Hi. With PMDG I started with the 747 then on to the 737. Not got over to the 777 as yet but maby a great xmas gift lol.

PMDG also do great training packages and you cant go wrong with PMDG.

You will have many many hours fun ahead of you.

Enjoy

Craig

I would recommend starting with a short-haul aircraft (737,or perhaps the 172 trainer) as opposed to the long-haul 777/747. The short haul planes will allow you to learn take-offs and landings more often due to their flight times. Just my opinion.

You could certainly fly a 747 or a 777 on a short-haul flight if you really wanted to.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Id start with the 777. It has more automation and is easier to learn. It is also easier to land smoothly as well compared to the 737. On the other hand the 737 does come equipped with a HUD. Once you learn how to use that it is a great aid. The landing gear configuration on the 737 makes smooth touchdowns a tad more difficult than in the 777.

to start with the BAe Jetstream 4100?

it's much harder to fly than the 737 or 777.  Sticking to strict progression (whether you believe that to be realistic or not) shouldn't the OP start with the nice A2A 172 I personally prefer the 172 to the Cherokee?   OP i can tell you what i do within the sim that simulates something similar to what you appear to want.  I use a product called FSCaptain and have a self imposed rank structure limiting me to aircraft, the progression goes:

Tiny: A2A 172 / A2A Cherokee

Small: PMDG J41 / Twin Otter / Majestic Q400

Medium: PMDG 737-600/800WL perhaps the FSL A320

Large: PMDG 777

It's just make believe obviously, i haven't really based it on actual airliner operations even though i tend to fly as Speedbird in BA livery

Ian R Tyldesley

Hmmm.....for me the J41 is easier to hand fly than either of the bigger jets simply due to its sheer size and mass, but I agree maybe the A2A 172 or Cherokee would be the best place to start. I kinda like the A2A 172 better than the Cherokee too, but it's taxi characteristics are a pain sometimes compared to the Cherokee. Anyway I was just stating that among what's available from PMDG, at least here in the US, your typically going to start with a regional aircraft before a 737 unless your coming from a military aviation background (I have a friend who went from flying F/A-18's for the Marine Corp to flying 737's for United)

it's much harder to fly than the 737 or 777.  Sticking to strict progression (whether you believe that to be realistic or not) shouldn't the OP start with the nice A2A 172 I personally prefer the 172 to the Cherokee?   OP i can tell you what i do within the sim that simulates something similar to what you appear to want.  I use a product called FSCaptain and have a self imposed rank structure limiting me to aircraft, the progression goes:

Tiny: A2A 172 / A2A Cherokee

Small: PMDG J41 / Twin Otter / Majestic Q400

Medium: PMDG 737-600/800WL perhaps the FSL A320

Large: PMDG 777

It's just make believe obviously, i haven't really based it on actual airliner operations even though i tend to fly as Speedbird in BA livery

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

for me the J41 is easier to hand fly than either of the bigger jets simply due to its sheer size and mass

It is a nice aircraft to hand fly, it's the engine management that's a pig.  I still blow them up on landing occasionally and i have had the plane since it came out.

Ian R Tyldesley

It is a nice aircraft to hand fly, it's the engine management that's a pig.  I still blow them up on landing occasionally and i have had the plane since it came out.

Ohh yeah the fire :blink: , forgot about that, lol :lol: , been a while since I flew the Jetsream.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Started out with the 737NGX and after that learning how to operate any other aircraft isn't a problem :)

Started out with the 737NGX and after that learning how to operate any other aircraft isn't a problem :)

Yeah the NGX probably makes the most sense. You also have all the training stuff available for it, and the FS2Crew stuff including Emergency NGX. Plus a ton of Youtube stuff on the NGX, plus my custom custom glareshield texture which gets rid of the stock blurry glareshield :) So to the OP, get the NGX I'd say and go from there, you wont be disappointed

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg