Sign in to follow this  
eemer

10.30b8 is out

I just visited the areas for which the pictures were posted on the developer site and it appears that those areas are the same as my view.  Something must have downloaded correctly and everything seems to be running ok. I did find the peak near NAS New Orleans that someone had mentioned.  That must be a problem with the program as I'm not the only one seeing it.  Don't remember seeing any mountains when there!

John

Nooo ... it is NOT .... Please read my little comment on this on Ben Supniks Blog! That peak only(!!!) appears with HD Mesh Scenery v2 enabled (as it is a data error in the elevation data, which was present at that time ... and has sincethen fixed in the raw database!). If you disable HD Mesh Scenery v2 - and only look at default Global Scenery - then the spike disappears (I have tested it!):

And I still stay to what I said previously. if you only got 28 MBytes, then something might have gone haywire. For example, how did you install HD Mesh Scenery v2? The way I - highly - recommend,  by putting it in "Custom Scenery", or did you overwrite (which is OK and works, but NOT recommended) data in Global Scenery? If you did the latter, that might be the reason, why you didn't get the updates ... its just a possibility, and I can't tell for sure.

And I still stay to what I said previously. if you only got 28 MBytes, then something might have gone haywire. For example, how did you install HD Mesh Scenery v2? The way I - highly - recommend,  by putting it in "Custom Scenery", or did you overwrite (which is OK and works, but NOT recommended) data in Global Scenery? If you did the latter, that might be the reason, why you didn't get the updates ... its just a possibility, and I can't tell for sure.

Thanks Andras,

This is what I have done since reading that 28MB is not correct.

First, I did install HD Mesh Scenery v2 in the "Custom Scenery" folder.  I did not overwrite Global Scenery.

I removed the HD Mesh Scenery v2 from the "Custom Scenery" folder and placed it onto my desktop which completely removed it from the equation. 

I then tried the updater and it said I only had 13kb that needed changing.  (This would have been my lights folder to increase light intensity)  I let it change that.

I then removed the beta check which took it back to 10.25 and required a 256MB download.

I then (after a start-up) re-checked the beta block and it required a 256MB download to put it back to beta 8.

Don't know what else to do...  It seems to be running fine... just didn't update Global Data - or maybe it did as everything in that folder (earth nav data)is and has been since I started reading 5-31-14... ??

Anyway, I can't think of anything else to do.

John

John Wingold

Hmm, a simple way (I just realized my self) to see if you got the update is: look in the Global Scenery folder. Do you have a sub-folder called Recuts1030? It should contain 46 files in 25 folders and be 526 Mbytes big (at least thats how it looks for me). If you have that, then no need to worry ^_^ ... if not, then ... hmm ... you might need to contact Laminar (via bug report).

And I repeat, as long as you have HD Mesh Scenery v2 in Custom Scenery, thats fine, and you can completely "forget" about it as it will no be part of this "updating equation" ... But also remember, that when you get the 1030 re-cuts and have HD Mesh Scenery v2 in Custom Scenery, then usually the latter will take precedence (and what ever you see in the area of its coverage, will not let you see anything from the 1030 recuts ... but which should be OK most of the time anyways).

Nope - no Recuts 1030...

Just to make sure there was no problem with that installation, I went to an installation of 10.25 which I had been keeping as a "crash proof" copy.  I updated it and guess what?  The about reads 10.30b, but there are no Global Scenery updates.  Took 15 seconds to update.  I even moved the Global Scenery folder out of the file, and the update didn't notice it.

John

John Wingold

My last idea - I don't think I have more - might be, that for some reason the installer thinks you have a demo version. Do you have the DVD (first disk) inserted while letting the updater run? If not, that might be the reason whx it "thinks" you are in demo mode. Maybe try updating with the DVD inserted!

This idea came from Ben Supniks Blog lines:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/08/some-recut-dsfs-for-x-plane-10-30/

The X-Plane updater will download scenery updates if (and only if) you have the base scenery installed. So if you have the entire world installed, you’ll get the entire set of updates (the DSFs themselves are about 500 MB); if you only have the US, for example, you’ll get some tiles but not others, and if you just have a demo, you’ll just a core file update.

I have the USB stick.  I'll try that this evening - just in case.   Otherwise, I'll just wait for the next update and see what happens.

Thanks Andras,

John

John Wingold

My last idea - I don't think I have more - might be, that for some reason the installer thinks you have a demo version. Do you have the DVD (first disk) inserted while letting the updater run? If not, that might be the reason whx it "thinks" you are in demo mode. Maybe try updating with the DVD inserted!

Andras,

This seems to be the trick.  I have never, as far as I know, had any problem updating before with the USB stick in place.  I just now inserted the Disk #1 and it is downloading 538MB. 

Thank you for sticking with me during this confusing time.  Maybe someone else may be helped by it as well, but I know that you have helped me and for that I am thankful.

John

John Wingold

I am happy it worked! I think I will give a heads-up to Ben Supnik, so he might write about it too on his Blog (which is more widely recognized than this thread for sure)!

But also - I just repeat this, to make sure you don't forget - remember: where ever you have installed HD Mesh Scenery v2 (for example in the USA), you will not see the re-cuts, as the HD Mesh Scenery v2 (when added correctly as a Custom Scenery) takes always precedence over the default Global Scenery (which the re-cuts are part of). Most (if not all) of the time, this will not be a problem, as the HD Mesh Scenery v2 has the same data as the latest re-cuts by Ben ... the only (few) real differences might be, where Ben has used newer airport boundary data (which he definitely did for KORD for example!).

That's great.  I use the HD Mesh Scenery V2 because there are still many areas where rivers are completely missing without it - ie Morgantown, WV, USA.  is surrounded by a river (Mongohelia - yeah, I know misspelled)... but it doesn't show in default scenery.

Thanks for all your help.

John

John Wingold

And to make things even better, I plan to re-cut HD Mesh Scenery too (bringing it to v2.x or 3.0 or what ever) .... around autumn (or somewhere around the end of year), which will then use updated (again) OSM data and some other fixes / improvements. So, whoever intends to fix things in OSM ... now is a good - and plenty of - time to do so (I don't expect to pull the OSM data refresh before - let say - October).

This data update will also - again - flow back to Laminar, and might be the basis of another re-cut round (whatever en whenever it will cover ... absolutely no details on this).

Great news. I'm looking forward to that. There are some things in all versions that are not exactly right like the apparent tunnel to the west of KROA which is not a tunnel at all (there is one on the east side) but overall terrain is better than I have seen in all the years I have been using flightsms (sometime in the 80s).

Thanks for all you guys do for the community

John

John Wingold