Sign in to follow this  
flywithjacob

Weather Alternative

Hi!  I recently made the switch to FSX and was horrified by its real-world weather.  It wasn't even accurate!  I started to poke around with Active Sky, trying to figure out which one to purchase.  I want to keep as low budget as possible.  All I really need from a weather program is real-world weather.  If anyone knows any good ones, please let me know!

Active Sky Next is in my opinion the only contender for the moment, there are others, like Opus and FSGRW, I have them both, but ASN is the best, hands down.

Cheers,

23.png

Active Sky Next is in my opinion the only contender for the moment, there are others, like Opus and FSGRW, I have them both, but ASN is the best, hands down.

Cheers,

Okay, thanks!  My only other concern is performance.  As of now, I can run the PMDG 737NGX at 1080p around 25 fps.  Is ASN a frame killer?

I'm on an old rig, using 512 textures and 5 cloud layers. With reasonable settings in FSX I have no issues. I don't get 60fps in bad weather but I get 16-24fps with no stutters, good enough for me.

As always, a balanced setup is the one and only magic trick with FSX. Start low and increase as long as you keep the smoothness you want.

23.png

I can also recommend ASN but if you're on a tight budget go for the totally free "FSRealWXLite" (google it). Excellent little freeware weather engine.

Hope this helps

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I can also recommend ASN but if you're on a tight budget go for the totally free "FSRealWXLite" (google it). Excellent little freeware weather engine.

Hope this helps

I definitely plan to eventually get ASN, but until then, you just saved my wallet and FS experience!  Thank you so much!

Asn for sure. It's just a really really easy program to use. And has no impact of fps

And use rex4 for the cloud textures

Guest JustanotherPilot

I have tried them all and agree ASN with REX textures for unsurpassed realism and textures. Both have a great forum following to tweak the settings.

I'm on an old rig, using 512 textures and 5 cloud layers. With reasonable settings in FSX I have no issues. I don't get 60fps in bad weather but I get 16-24fps with no stutters, good enough for me.

As always, a balanced setup is the one and only magic trick with FSX. Start low and increase as long as you keep the smoothness you want.

I have the exact same experience with using AS2012.  Keeping the texture size to 512 still looks nice, but has the least impact on frame rates and smoothness.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yup, I think 512 looks better, the higher res cloud textures gives me a cartoonish look with sharper edges. By the way, I'm on a GTX680 with a Dell U3011 30" screen.

23.png