Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

United Airlines 777 ETOPS Cert.

Wow! How was he even rude?! If you already know the information he said then move on. There are other people that could read his post and learn from it, you know?

I can see how it could come across as rude.  It wasn't intended to be, but I know I can come across as gruff...

Kyle Rodgers

I can see how it could come across as rude.  It wasn't intended to be, but I know I can come across as gruff...

Don't sweat it Kyle, I'm not one to waste one minute of my time with forum quarrels. In retrospect you weren't rude at all. I respect your strong opinions and your way to express them; and I've learnt much from you as a matter of fact. I would have put things differently but maybe that's just a cultural thing. The last thing I want to be is a whiny forum baby. I'd like to think I have thicker skin than that. Thanks for the answers and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

A lot more complex than that.

1. Even within airlines, this can vary by tail number - different planes can be maintained to different standards. Some UAL 73s are ETOPS, others aren't. Same goes for many other operators. Maintaining planes to ETOPS standards costs a pretty chunk of change. This is why some airlines don't have ETOPS capable aircraft, even though the aircraft itself is eligible.

2. This varies. Huge simism that this is static. It varies, and varies, and varies. Simmers need to start writing that over and over on whiteboards (chalkboards?!?) as penance for perpetuating this "same CI" principle... The whole purpose of CI is to adjust for cost factors on routes. (See here.)

3. Can vary by field, though different ops have defaults. You might be able to track this down.

4. Probably going to be nearly impossible to reliably find, but like 3, you might be able to find someone to put it out there. Unlikely, though.

This is all true... Some airlines just can't afford to even start an ETOPS program. Airlines have to also prove MX reliability over a certain amount of time on the aircraft... Then crews and dispatchers need to be trained, and this is just a small piece of the pie.

Just as Kyle said here CI's change all the time... It's a variable number that takes a ton of things into account, even crew pay and rest. Some airlines run CI 100 on all short flights, and some never have the same. It's really a number that's not very trackable.

A big part of ETOPS really just comes down to $.

Paul M

Wow! How was he even rude?! If you already know the information he said then move on. There are other people that could read his post and learn from it, you know?

They are called "Bandwidth Vampires". Some people just like to say stuff, like me.  :spiteful: