Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Have you seen the Saab 340 and 2000 offer?

Interested in the Saab 340 for a long time, and never found one that was up to any real FSX standard. It even includes variants of the Saab 2000.  The deal is out there and is less than $20.  Do any of you have it?  Recommend it?  I tried ordering it but could not get the "download" version even though they say it's available.  I always seem to get into the version that they want to mail to me.   If you would comment on this, and let me know if you were able to get the download version, I would be appreciative of your advice on this.

Stan

Are you speaking of the new Virtualcol S340 and S2000? 

https://www.virtualcol.com/products/producto.php?id_prod=45

For $20 I would not expect systems modeling nor would I expect anything special in terms of virtual cockpit modeling.  Based on the screenshots they posted, it looks like a step up from the freeware Premier Aircraft Design and Brett Henderson S340's, but it looks like they use a good number of stock FSX instruments in the cockpit.  Then again, there is little to choose from right now when it comes to the S340 and S2000 in the FSX world.  Razbam is working on a S340, no idea when it will be finished.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Interested in the Saab 340 for a long time, and never found one that was up to any real FSX standard. It even includes variants of the Saab 2000.  The deal is out there and is less than $20.  Do any of you have it?  Recommend it?  I tried ordering it but could not get the "download" version even though they say it's available.  I always seem to get into the version that they want to mail to me.   If you would comment on this, and let me know if you were able to get the download version, I would be appreciative of your advice on this.

Stan

Hi Stan,

I went ahead and bought this as I too have been waiting for a 340 for FSX for a long time and the Razbam version still seems to be quite some time away. As it was cheap there seemed to be very little to lose but my expectations were not very high at the same time, particularly looking at the VC in the screenshots. I have however been somewhat surprised in that I have found myself spending quite a bit of time flying both the 340 and the 2000 and actually enjoying both of them!

With regard to the product, the external models are fairly accurate #the 340 more so than the 2000# and moderately well detailed. I haven't looked at all of the huge number of included paint schemes yet but there are some minor innacuracies with some (eg Aer Lingus 340 and SAS 2000) and the overall finish is just slightly too shiny and reflective IMO. The external sounds seem quite realistic particularly that of the Saab 2000 and the flying characteristics also seem realistic although I am saying that from a position of never having flown either in the RW, although I have flown other types. Now to what I consider the main disappointment - the cockpit. I always tend to fly from the VC and my description of that provided with both the 340 and the 2000 is that sadly they are both of pre-FSX standard in terms of finish and certainly not of the standard to which we have become accustomed with most FSX releases today. They are basically comparable, in terms of finish and realistic appearance, with the default Baron. At this stage I have not delved deeply into the systems so I can't comment on them but I have been comfortably able to make a few trips using the VOR/DME/ADF and autopilot all of which seem functional. I have not however as yet explored the functionality of the FMS that comes with both of these, but I admit that I have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy FMS simming in any aircraft, generally preferring old-fashioned radio navigation!

Despite my criticisims however, the bottom line, as I said, is that I am enjoying both of these more than I expected  and, despite their drawbacks I have found flying them a reasonably immersive experience and have actually ended up choosing to fly them a lot! Providing you do not have expectations of perfection, particularly in terms of the appearance of the VC, then I would recommend this package, at least as a stop gap until the Razbam 340 appears and the price, for what is being offered, seems fair. If however you are the type of simmer who is obsessive to the point that everything must be of a PMDG standard then this may not be for you!

Bill

Thanks for the heads up on these models.  I think I'll stay away from these because I really seem to gravitate to models with realistic, well-designed VC's.

Stan