Sign in to follow this  
Maury Pratt

Cockpit sounds mostly absent

When first installing 777-200 SP1 the cockpit sounds (altitude callouts, etc.) played normally, but have disappeared (mostly) since then -- the engine sounds continue, but nothing else. By that I mean cockpit sounds occasionally play normally, but only through earphones when set to default (rather than the system speakers), so I know they're still enabled. Also cockpit sounds work fine with the 737 NGX and through the system speakers.

So evidently there's something going on with my 777 configuration (I've checked all the configuration settings) that I haven't been able to find in the documentation. Any suggestions?

- Maury Pratt

High end 8Gb system, Win 8.1 64bit, DX10 (w/Steve's mods), nvidia and realtek drivers.

Maury Pratt

Do they come back after you restart FSX???

This happened me last week and it was caused by me playing a High sound quality HD video with media player while also flying the 777.

I haven't played the video while flying since and the cockpit sounds have never gone silent.

Something to check out maybe!!! 

Jimmy Nestor

Do they come back after you restart FSX???

This happened me last week and it was caused by me playing a High sound quality HD video with media player while also flying the 777.

I haven't played the video while flying since and the cockpit sounds have never gone silent.

Something to check out maybe!!! 

No, unfortunately neither restarting FSX nor the computer brings back the cockpit sounds.

Maury Pratt

Another thing to check is that your sound options in windows aren't trying to play sound into speakers that don't exist.

If you have 2 speakers, but have setup quadraphonic or surround 5.1 sound in your windows playback settings, then some of the sounds are being routed to the other 3 speakers you don't have, therefore those sounds will come through the non-existant speakers as silence.

Stero.jpg

edit: just noticed your NGX does not suffer this problem, so this is less likely. Still worth a look.

Maybe there's a similar setting inside the 777 FMC that does this kind of thing to enable 5.1 surround on cockpit sounds?

Go to PMDG Setup/Options/Sound and in device, select a different sound device and execute then revert back to the original output device and execute.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

Go to PMDG Setup/Options/Sound and in device, select a different sound device and execute then revert back to the original output device and execute.

That was it! The problem was that when installed it selected the correct SOUND/DEVICE -- but it changed itself to another audio device somehow.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  I'm host and demonstrating PMDG's 777 sp1 to members of our San Diego SimFlite club meeting tomorrow, so all's well just in time!

Maury Pratt

Thanks King of IFR, that did it for me too, had the same problem.  Have my sweet sweet sounds back without doing a reinstall...