Current setup

Intel i7 3770k overclocked to 4.5

Nvidia gtx 770

Win 7 home

8 ghz ram 1600

Using dx10 with the fixer, constantly battling stutters

I wouldn't bother TBH, perhaps wait for Haswell-E

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

You've got a great system... so FSX should work just great!

1. Are you overloading the system with extreme tweaks and add-on everything?

If so, ease off a bit..

2.  Was DX9 better?

If so, go back to DX9 and forget about cockpit shadows etc..

I've found that you can overload any system (Haswell included) and that easing up on the settings

will get you back in a zone where everything is smoother than a baby's bottom..

Just as an example:  4XSGSS looks better than 2XSGSS, but in complex airports, I notice the difference

in smoothness, so I (reluctantly) went back to 2XSGSS...

Only you can decide what trade-offs work best for you.. ^_^

Bert

I just built a new computer with the 4790k and a GTX 780TI Classified edition, and while I did see a noticeable improvement from my previous system (an older intel quad core with a GTX560) it wasn't a huge improvement. However I was only home on leave for two weeks so I didn't have too much time to mess around and try which tweaks I needed for my FSX.

I will caution you about the new 4790k chip though. I (and apparently a few other people) have had overheating issues with it. Again, I was only home for two weeks so I didn't have enough time to investigate into the issue but before I left I installed an aftermarket heatsink fan and that seemed to solve the issue however I only got to test it for about four days. When I left I still had issues with my PC freezing while playing flight sim but this time I don't think it was related to the chip overheating.

I would say that you current system is more than enough for FSX and the only reason I went with such a powerful system is because I play games besides flight sim on my PC that would benefit from that hardware.

Samuel Scully

I agree.

As best I know, a 4790K @ 4.5 is identical to a 4770K @ 4.5.. so a  "CPU upgrade" would not buy you increased performance in FSX.

Bert

Guys thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Dx 9 did work great but with a lot of oom errors. Dx10 I have not had one, so I am reluctant to go back.

Bert, as far as tweaks go I just followed the avsim hardware/software guide.

I understand your conundrum... but have never dabbled in DX10.. so cannot help  :mellow:

Would still suggest cutting back on eye-candy until the stutters disappear..

Bert

I'd stay with your current system as well

For OOM's - build separate cfg files when you fly in those dense areas.  I have a few cfg's I use like when in Orbx areas with payware I only run LOD 4.5 default, and AG and other settings lower.  Outside of orbx I can run LOD 5.5 with otherwise max scenery settings (not water though).... in defaultish areas with defaultish addons I use LOD 6.5 etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Good advice. Do you use dx10 in your setup? I went back to dx9 today, great visuals and smooth, but gotta watch out for the oom errors. I use a very vanilla .cfg