Hi,

Guys I'm going to buy a new monitor and I want some advices.

First of all, what I should buy for FSX, IPS or LED?

So... Let me know your thoughts about this and tell me the best monitors for FSX.

The size must be starting from ~ 24 to 27, by the way give me your thoughts.

The cost and very high resolution of 27" monitors doesn't make them very appealing to me. Do you really need 2540x1440? No, but that's the native resolution of a 27" so it's unavoidable.

I wanted a larger screen last year and decided on a Sony 32" TV. Its resolution is 1920x1080. That makes it a better monitor for me than a 27" with higher resolution. Frame rates will also be higher with fewer pixels to manage.

I spent some time making adjustments via the advanced settings and the final image is more than good enough for me.

Not sure what you mean by "best" but if it's sheer involvement you want a 32" beats a 27" for me.

This is the model I bought. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/kdl-32w653a

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

what I should buy for FSX, IPS or LED?

For a start most modern monitors are backlit using LEDs ... to save energy.

FSX is not a first person shooter so a fast refresh rate beyond 100Hz is not required  IPS panels are typically limited to 60Hz but have better colour rendition and wider angle of view than TN panels.

One can freely obtain 27" monitors having 1920 x 1080 resolution. This will appear to be sharper than the 32" Sony that Ray talked about ... immersion though, well that's another matter entirely.

Has anyone tried or considered a 48" curved screen TV as a display? Are there any notable disadvantages apart from price. Maybe resolution?

I want to upgrade my 27" monitor to a 32 or 36" monitor.  What determines the maximum resolution you can get?  The video card or the monitor?  What response rate should I be looking for?

Paul Gugliotta

What determines the maximum resolution you can get? The video card or the monitor?

Generally the monitor given the amount of memory on modern graphics cards won't make them the limiting factor.

I really wouldn't worry about response rate if it's just for flight simulation.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

How close would you sit to a 49" screen? And the resolution of 3840 x 2160 would seriously impact on frame rates I suspect.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27'' at about 80cm is fine. 49'' with that res would be OK at about a 1,5m I guess. And then you have immersion and resolution. Framerates? Another story, but a strong card like GTX980 would chew it.

I have the Benq bl3200pt

32 inch @ 2560 x 1440 which overcomes the issue with the same resolution at 27 inches.

Have to say that it's awesome. Higher resolution also mean less AA required which can overcome the performcnce issue.

Glen, on the 32" monitor, what connections do I use?  I have dual GeForce 590 cards.  They say HDMI connections, yet I don't see them in the back of the computer.  I use the typical blue pin connection on the computer ends and the same into the monitor.

I was told by the Best Buy dude I needed an HDMI connection to take advantage of 49" LG monitor - is that true? If yes, what do I do then?

Paul

Paul Gugliotta

The Benq has Display Port, Dual Link DVI and HDMI (1.3)

It came with all the cables.

I don't think above 1080p is supported until you get to HDMI 1.4

TV's dont come with much other than HDMI so this is probably what you would have to use, yes.

The 'blue' connection you are talking about is analog VGA. That wont work at all. Do you have a white connector? This is DVI. You can get DVI to HDMI cables which will work for you if so.

I run using Display Port from my GTX 770

Yes I have 3 white ports labeled DVI.   Actually I was mistakes, the white DVI ports are now being used.

So here is one more question:

My NVidia 590 cards say max resolution 2048 x 1536 max VGA and 2560 x 1600 max digital.  I am running at 1900 x 1080.  So if I buy a Ultra Sharp monitor I have a feeling my video cards won't allow me to get the super high resolution and I will really see no difference??

Correct

Paul Gugliotta