Yes I have 3 white ports labeled DVI.   Actually I was mistakes, the white DVI ports are now being used.

So here is one more question:

My NVidia 590 cards say max resolution 2048 x 1536 max VGA and 2560 x 1600 max digital.  I am running at 1900 x 1080.  So if I buy a Ultra Sharp monitor I have a feeling my video cards won't allow me to get the super high resolution and I will really see no difference??

Correct

You cant go 4k, no

You can go WQHD which is 2560x1440 (16:9) or WQXGA 2560x1600 (16:10) with no problems.

In response to Ray Proudfoot - Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

How close would you sit to a 49" screen? And the resolution of 3840 x 2160 would seriously impact on frame rates I suspect.

-----------------------------------------

I think a 4K monitor/display with the latest hardware would be no problem.  I just built an Intel -i7-4790K PC with 16GB and a GTX-780Ti SC.  With absolutely no overclocking on either of those components I am running FSX in DX10 mode with all setting 100% maxed out on three 1080P monitors and I am getting typical frame rates between 17-30fps (I have it limited to 30) with the absolute worse I have seen was 8fps flying over Manhattan with Awesome airport packs for all the regional airports as well as a MegaEarthScenery Ultra-Res pack for NYC.  Again, this was with thousands of boats and cars and planes flying all around and all the graphics settings maxed out and still 8FPS.  I expect a single 4K monitor with the new hardware will be no problem.  It sure would be nice sometimes to see my gauges more clearly in Virtual Cockpit mode without having to zoom in so much.  When the prices come down I will consider a 30-inch or so 4k monitor sandwiched by a couple of my 24-inch 1080p monitors for controls, gauges, radios, alt views, and such.  Again, I am running all three monitors of the one GTX-780Ti SC

Arjunabug,

A frame rate of 8fps is totally unflyable. Also, many people don't fly in DX10 mode. How much of a frame rate boost does that give over DX9?

Expecting something will be fine and knowing something will be fine are two different things. Paulyg123 would want confirmation - preferably by seeing it himself - before parting with serious money. He only has a 590, not a 780Ti. There's a big difference in performance.

He also said he wanted a 32"-36" monitor so I fail to understand why people are recommending as high as 47". There are physical constraints to consider as well as cost and performance.

As I said in an earlier post I'm very happy with my Sony 32" LED TV. Its resolution of 1920*1080 viewed from around 3ft gives excellent detail and frame rates are unchanged from my previous Dell 24" 1920*1200 monitor.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather