Sign in to follow this  
Device6

Just to say Hi, from a new member!

Hi folks,

I should have gone straight to the FSX forum, but then I thought dropping by here just to say hello to everyone being a newbie to this great forum.

Bought FSX nearly 3 years ago and never really got into playing it, not having spare time being the main reason, but also my PC wasn't really great then and was very choppy when running the game, so abandoned it after a couple of times playing it.

Now my new PC is more powerful than before. It is i5 3750K@stock speed, GTX 560Ti@stock speed, only 8GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate.  It's not a top notch setup, hope it runs FSX smoothly with frame rate not lower than 60 FPS.

Coming down to this forum looking for some ideas to tweak some of the configuration files for some great graphics quality, I heard one which is fsx.CFG?  How to improve the ground texture is also on my wish list.  Forgive me but the ground texture out of the box does look rather coarse, don't you?  And also, the autopilot seems stranger to me even though I have had other experience with Falcon 4, LOCKON, DCS World, Strike Fighter Project 1, Rise of Flight, Wings of Prey and IL-2 1946.  And I also want to know what people programmed into their Saitek X52 (Non-Pro), I am particularly interested to know how you use the slider and the two knobs on the throttle, I heard some people use the knob for trimming, which one you use amongst the two.  And also how you use the Pinkie?

These really are all I wanted to know for some time now after getting back into the flight simulation since late July for I am having a 'long vacation'. 

Again, great to join you all here and hope to hear some recommendations for the above from you folks.

Thanks in advance.

I thought dropping by here just to say hello to everyone being a newbie to this great forum.

Welcome to the AVSIM Forums. We have several forums that we think will help you enjoy FSX and the many addons that were developed for it.

It's not a top notch setup, hope it runs FSX smoothly with frame rate not lower than 60 FPS.

You have a good system but you will see fps lower than 60 fps. I know of no computer system that will give you a constant fps above 60 fps unless you are running FSX with default aircraft and default scenery. You will then see fps, set to unlimited, between 200 and 300 fps. High fps does not necessarily give you the best graphics. You will see "the blurries" sometimes even with fps above 60. It all depends on how fast the textures can be loaded and rendered. If you have your settings set to high in both the fsx.cfg and display settings and in addon programs like REX4 or a commercial weather program, you are forcing fsx to find the resources to render and display the graphics and that probably will cause a lot of problems.

Coming down to this forum looking for some ideas to tweak some of the configuration files for some great graphics quality, I heard one which is fsx.CFG? How to improve the ground texture is also on my wish list.

I recommend that you check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots. It will give you good fsx.cfg settings as well as settings for NVidiaInspector or your display driver program.

the autopilot seems stranger to me

When you open up FSX to the setup screen, look for the Learning Center. It will provide you details on setting up the AP on various default aircraft. Of course, if you purchase an addon like the PMDG737NGX, then you'll be best served if you look for their tutorial and follow it. You can also "Google" for help too, either here on AVSIM or on the Internet. For instance, go to Google and search for PMDG737NGX tutorials. You'll find videos and links to several guides others in the flight sim community have put together. You can do this for any aircraft. You can also search for procedures for programming or setting up a GPS for your aircraft. Tons of info out there that you are probably aware of but wanted to bring to your attention just in case.

I also want to know what people programmed into their Saitek X52 (Non-Pro), I am particularly interested to know how you use the slider and the two knobs on the throttle, I heard some people use the knob for trimming, which one you use amongst the two. And also how you use the Pinkie?

AVSIM has a very large forum on controllers in the Hardware Forum. Go there to search for an answer or post your question and someone will probably respond as many use the Saitek X52. Again, a search on the AVSIM website (in the upper right corner) will help you find the answers to your questions much faster. Many are sometimes confused with our search engine. It just shows Google but, if you type in the search question, click on Google and it will give you several more options, like search this forum only, search all forums, etc.

If you ever have a nasty CTD, check out our CTD Forum and also take a look at the AVSIM CTD Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots. Let's hope you don't get any but there's a place to go in case you need help.

Again, welcome to AVSIM. We hope you enjoy your visits.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10