Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Unsatisfying VC views

I must admit to like flying in the VC -- and some aircraft seem more suited to it than others. For example, I can never get an eyepoint that suits me in the DC3. I have tried all sorts of different points but have basically decided that the VC in the DC3 can't really be used. I know that in most VCs you don't have a view of all the primary gauges -- but in many, a little bit of decision making between what zoom factor you use and the position of the eyepoint usually makes them useable.What are your personal preferences with VC equiped a/c -- from the point of view of useability.Barry

Guest odog

hey barry, Perspective from the VC is a strange thing. I have gone so far as to have my VC scaled perfectly... you could measure an instument and it would be right on, but the view was cruddy and 'seemed' out of scale. Then one day it dawns on me to throw scale to the wind and go with what looks right. It really bugs me on single engines when you have to look through the prop, and sometimes it looks like its 10 feet in front of you and off center. here's a solution to the prop...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110406.jpgway off line, but is perfectly centered to the pilot seat in FS. the drawback is it will be off center when viewed from other seats, but i dont care, im the pilot here!dont ask me why, but it seems like it translates to the entire VC. I can basically 'squash' the entire cockpit until it feels comfortable when flying. Lots of trial and error till it looks right.so maybe it might be a case of numberitis... trying to make it an exact copy down to the millimeter, when the eye should be trusted.joe

Only way to fly in VC mode is to use Track IR Pro with Vector Expansion addon. (click on link at top of AVSIM's pages to go to thier website)That little gizmo has completely changed the way I use FS. Still have to use 2D cockpit during takeoff and landing on compex jet aircraft, but for small GA aircraft can stay in VC 100% of the time.Matt

My standard setup is to change to 75% zoom and move the eyepoint as far back as possible... just enough I can't see through the headrest when I do a Linda Blair maneuver (I believe Oswald Boelke invented that one? *grin/LOL*). I then adjust for specific planes as needed.

I don't generally use the 'VC' view but, when I do? sometimes when taxi-ing I would like to be able to zoom away from the panel and NOT have the pilots seat obscuring my views of the guages. All the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png