Sign in to follow this  

How to Update P3DV2.2 to P3DV2.3

If you run the patch you need to be at 2.2.10437  (not 2.2.10438 - that's the hot fix).

You will need lots of free space on for wherever your OS stores Temp files and/or where your package cache is located ... if you are short on disk space on C: (I believe 20GB free should be ok, but less than that might be a problem), you'll need to make room.

You need to make sure you backup 3 directories and delete 4 directories before you applying the patch.

BACKUP these three directories:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

Now delete these -- Example (your account name will differ obviously):

C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Key files are:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
                - Scenery.cfg

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

- DLL.XML
                - EXE.XML
                - SimConnect.xml
                - /Controls/*.xml  (joystick/device controller configurations)

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files

- Saved Flights (not critical)
                - SimConnect.INI (logging SimConnect)

Do NOT copy over your old v2.2 Prepar3d.cfg.

Personally, I prefer to start from a FULL install, but that isn't "required", it can be patched.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I decided it would be best to have this information pinned instead of buried in a large post. Hope you do not mine.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

"If you run the patch you need to be at 2.2.10437  (not 2.2.10438 - that's the hot fix)."

So what do those of us that are using 10438 do?

I was wondering where this post went. Great idea pinning this, Firehawk44.

Cheers, Jazz

Crap!! Didn't read this till after i applied the patch! Dang!

Will see what happens! Gulp!!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Thanks for the heads-up Rob.  I patched P3D, deleted the Modules (FSUIPC) folder to avoid the reported CTD's and used your settings... http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_V2.php

All I have to day is wow!!  The latest v2.3 has been vastly improved.  I am not experiencing any screen tearing and the sim is silky smooth.  This is going to be a winner.

Thanks again,

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

I decided it would be best to have this information pinned instead of buried in a large post. Hope you do not mine.

Thanks for doing all that Jim ... and closing my other thread.

So what do those of us that are using 10438 do?

Locate your original Setup.exe for 2.2.10437 and run it, select repair button.  After it completes (may take some time) Now go to your P3D directory and right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe ... details tab, look at the file version ... it should read 2.2.10437.  Now apply the patch (make sure you have deleted the 4 directions I mentioned above).

LM recommend you do a complete wipe and full install of V2.3.  But try the patch process first and see if it works for you.   If you do patch be aware that you will need updates from some 3rd party product like FSUIPC (Pete), Virtuali, Orbx ... but if you patch correctly you will not have any EXE.XML or DLL.XML ... you will have to re-add those back and disable entries that are not compatible with v2.3.

Here is an example of my EXE.XML - as you can see Virtuali Add-On Manager is disabled until Virtuali release and update, however GoFlight and Saitek entries work fine with 2.3 as is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<!-- Virtuali Add-On Manager -->
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <Disabled>True</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>--mode=prepar3dv2</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>

<!-- GoFlight Modules -->
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>GoFlight Hardware Interface</Name>
    <Path>V:\GoFlight\GFDevP3D.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine></CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>

<!-- Saitek Panels -->
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Saitek DirectOutput RadioStack</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\Pro Flight Panels\SaiPanels.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>-run</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

Here is an example of my DLL.XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<!-- FSUIPC -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
<Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<!-- Virtuali Add-On Manager -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Addon Manager</Name>
<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<!-- Captain Sim 777 -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Captain Sim Sound</Name>
<Path>Captain_Sim\bin\cs.sound.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<!-- ORBX Generic Object Flow Library -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_11S_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_11S\scenery\ObjectFlow_11S_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_EGPB_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGPB\scenery\ObjectFlow_EGPB_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_05S_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_05S\scenery\ObjectFlow_05S_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_PAYA_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAYA\scenery\ObjectFlow_PAYA_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_CYSE\scenery\ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_SAK_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK05_SCENERY\scenery\ObjectFlow_SAK_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>ObjectFlow_KMRY_P3D</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KMRY\scenery\ObjectFlow_KMRY_P3D.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<!-- Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Flight Recorder</Name>
<Path>Aerosoft\Flight Recorder\AS-FlightRecorder.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<!-- Carenado Piper Seneca V -->
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
<Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

I'm certain most of these 3rd party products will have updates coming out shortly (if not already).

Cheers, Rob.

renamed the modules folder and P3D works now. 

The patchy triangle textures are still there, guess i'll have to roll back my drivers or wait until nvidia updates theirs. :-\

HDR looks brighter now, and a smoother sim experience!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Thanks Rob!  Saved me hours.  I was on .10438.  I backed up the folders you recommended, and then deleted the folders you recommended, ran the patch, and I am up and running great.  I had to copy back in the DLL (and disable Objectflow as well as FSUIPC), and also the dll entry or ASN.  TrackIR is working fine.  Thanks again Rob.  We should connect sometime and fly multiplayer.  I live the Bay Area and fly Cessna's out of RHV.

Best regards.

Jim

Hey Rob,

From my other post i didn't follow the directions as saw them too late... everything seems to work fine except for the FSUIPC thing but the sim is up and running fine... interestingly my exe and dll.xml files are fine and didn't need replacing.. they are still there...

Should i just go with it and be happy or have i stuffed up somewhere and will reap dire results down the track?

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Good info, though it is a shame LM can't get their act together and do a simple procedure like a patch update without causing so many issues.it seems they don't have the ability like other companies do.

Its a bit late for me now as I just followed advice from one of LMs admins and was not told to do any of the above.

It seems LM are incapable of learning from past updates where similar issues arose.

Oh well here's hoping the whole thing aint completely screwed and I have to start from scratch.

Very poor service.

I just have to repeat that I haven't had any problems with patching (and, yes, I have had the hotfix applied)

In my opinion, the key is in peoples DLL.xml or EXE.xml.

Be sure to disable all entries and try running P3D v2.3

If it's running enable step by step.

FSUIPC is "fixed" with 4.934f

ASN crashes the sim also currently, I'm sure a solution will be provided fast (error clr.dll)

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locate your original Setup.exe for 2.2.10437 and run it, select repair button.  After it completes (may take some time) Now go to your P3D directory and right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe ... details tab, look at the file version ... it should read 2.2.10437.  Now apply the patch (make sure you have deleted the 4 directions I mentioned above).

I'm very surprised with this amateur procedure concerning the 2.3 update. It doesn't sound like a professionnal product I acquired.

- The hotfix 10438 comes from the editor of P3D isn't and we have to rollback to 10437. Where is the setup.exe I have "to locate" ? The 10437 seems not available anymore on my LM account.

- We are advised/recommanded to make again a full (re)install. It was the case with the previous updates. Will the game continues until end and users will have to re-install all their addos again and again every 3 months ?

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Locate your original Setup.exe for 2.2.10437 and run it, select repair button. After it completes (may take some time) Now go to your P3D directory and right click and select properties on the Prepar3d.exe ... details tab, look at the file version ... it should read 2.2.10437. Now apply the patch (make sure you have deleted the 4 directions I mentioned above).

Even though this brings you back to .10437, I would not recommend doing this because this might also screw up some of the installed add-ons. For example, running the repair option of P3D will replace all FTX Global textures with the default ones, so that you have to reinstall FTX Global. Or: If you have disabled the default traffic dlls in scenery/world/scenery because you have installed an AI add-on then the repair routine will put a new traffic bgl in that folder which might mess with your AI add-on. Running a repair is not advisable from my point of view. If you cannot patch 10438 then you should rather do a full install. Or wait for some solution that LM might offer...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I seem to have a successful install beginning with uninstalling, backing up a few things that were left over, and then cleaning out the P3D2 folder entirely. It costs me around $100 USD in bandwidth to download the full 10+ Gb installer so I've been patching the original v2.0 release since it's initial release. My P3D installation was a bit of a mess with all the betas and development junk all over the place so I resolved a month ago to do a fresh install when 2.3 was finally released. Here's the process I used in case anyone else is "bandwidth challenged" and going the patch route:

Run the original v2.0 Prepar3D.msi, select the uninstall option

delete the 4 recommended program-generated folders (See Rob's first post, I backed up my saved flights, haven't put any back yet, deleted everything else)

reboot the PC

run the original v2.0 Prepar3D.msi again, install into the same folder

run the sim, close

delete the 4 recommended program-generated folders again

run the v2.1 patch installer (Prepar3D_v2_Academic_2.0.9448.0_to_2.1.9936.0_Patch.msp)

run the sim, verify version 2.1.9936.0, close

run the v2.2 patch installer (Prepar3D_v2_Academic_2.1.9936.0_to_2.2.10437.0_Patch.msp)

run the sim, verify version 2.2.10437.0, close

run the v2.3 patch installer (Prepar3D_v2_Academic_2.2.10437.0_to_2.3.11345.0_Patch.msp)

run the sim, verify version 2.3.11345.0, fly

I see no problems after an initial 30 min flight in the Raptor, no crashes, very smooth at 1100 kts, no blurries, bumped up some of the settings and everything looks good. I should have all my addons restored in about a week :smile: