Sign in to follow this  

How to Update P3DV2.2 to P3DV2.3

You know im not one to point things out negativly, or vocalize my complaints very much, but I have to say I just dont get all this childish talk about the headaches of installing p3d particularly is it prevalent in the previous thread that was locked.  Maybe reflect back on what we had, and what we thought we were stuck with forever. 

I havnt installed 2.3 just yet as was actually due for a wipe so it will be a clean full install, but heck even with a screwed up patched install, sort it out. Im just thankful we are making some leaps and bounds off the coattails of FSX which we figured would never happen.  Now this 2.3 sounds pretty fantastic and surely a far cry from where we once were with ooms and instability.  With all the work that Rob A has done here as well as the many other beta testers and the devs at LM, lets show a little more appreciation for this and what its done for our hobby.

A little patience, and all the little addons will have updated installers. Like last few times. Just relax. :)

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I figured it was time after the last several years since P3Dv1.4 to give it a full wipe.  Was already working on it... new larger 256GB SSD for the OS so that's getting a fresh install and now re-formatting my 512GB SSD just for P3D.  Already copied a backup of v2.2 in it's entirety so I can pick and choose what custom files I may want to use.  But this way I will have fresh defaults of 2.3 that I will make a back-up as well.

Looking forward to some great simming!

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I learned a lesson once the hard way; don't let your new guys make the installation sets - ever.  You don't need a train wreck where everything is supposed to be coming together.  But I don't have sympathy for anyone on this forum, since exposure to this forum may cause you to be conscripted into gamma (guinea-pig) testing.  Just keep wheeking and chattering about around here - you're asking for it.  :)    Me too, I almost peed my pants when I saw the post.

I decided to do a clean install.  I'm too bleary eyed at this hour.  I don't really have too much to replace yet.  Thanks be to Rob though for being in the trenches on this.

I just patched my 2.2.10438 to 2.3. Works absolutely fine. So there is no need to do a repair to revert back to 10437!

I deleted all the directories as advised, ran the patch and then inserted the relevant modules back into the newly built exe.xml and dll.xml one by one. This way you can make sure that you identify those modules that need updates and you can exclude them for now.

Just for information: Umberto has already uploaded the new Coutl version...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hello everyone i have been waiting for quite some time to purchase p3d . now that 2.3 is out i guess its time to do it . But first i have a couple questions . firstly , if i purchase p3d today will it give me the option to install 2.3 right away or am i gonna have to install 2.2 then upgrade to 2.3 manually . second of all I heard that p3d must be installed to your os drive and then manually sent to another drive . can someone give me a link to a topic that discusses this issue and how to do it 

cheers

I'm pretty shure that purchasing Prepar3D today you will get the v2.3 installer.

And no, you don't need to install P3D on the OS drive. I did a clean install direct to my SSD H:\.

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

Three of us chatting last night while we were installing 2.3 on our machines.  The upgrade did not work for me or MartyB, so we each ran the full install on clean SSDs and had no issues.  Runs like butter.  Our third friend ran the updater without deleting files, etc. and his patched fine from 2.2 to 2.3.  I seriously think your success at running the upgrade has a lot to do with what add-ons and other factors make your individual setup unique (i.e. hardware, drivers, etc.)

Will be working on getting all the add-ons installed tonight.  So far it's noticeably better.  Will test multi-player out as well.

Guys... need some advice.... i patched my install to 2.3 WITHOUT first deleting all those folders etc...

I fear that i cannot now do the correct procedure just by deleting the folders and re-patching... is this possible? Everything is working OK but from reading the posts i should have done this properly... that will teach me for being hasty eh!

Can i do the above of no go?

Thanks guys

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

You have to go into your P3D main folder and take a look at the P3D.exe and right click and select Properties and see if it updated to the latest version. Mine did not (after following Rob's instructions) and I ended up uninstalling everything then downloading and installing the complete version.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This seems a bit de ja vu concerning the 2.3 patch process and needing to delete those folders and having to wait for other 3rd party patch updates including waiting for Pete to return from vacation - God bless him! :-)

Amid the frustration for those having trouble I encourage you to take a step back and know that these details will be worked out. 2.3 is here and we've had great insight as to what it brings. Cheers!

I just have to repeat that I haven't had any problems with patching (and, yes, I have had the hotfix applied)

In my opinion, the key is in peoples DLL.xml or EXE.xml.

Be sure to disable all entries and try running P3D v2.3

If it's running enable step by step.

FSUIPC is "fixed" with 4.934f

ASN crashes the sim also currently, I'm sure a solution will be provided fast (error clr.dll)

Echo this - didn't have any issues with the patch going from 2.2.10438 to 2.3 either. I don't use fsuipc, so didn't have to edit the xml files. All I cleared was my shader folder. 

Running the latest Opus beta, and didn't have any crashes, though I do get the ORBX dll messages on startup (which hopefully should be fixed shortly with new libraries).

I just patched my 2.2.10438 to 2.3. Works absolutely fine. So there is no need to do a repair to revert back to 10437!

Good to know, that didn't work for me but glad it worked for you an maybe others ... but I'm also running Professional Plus.  No harm in attempting the patch first but regardless of full or patch, those 4 directories I listed should be deleted.

As I indicated in another thread, LM have NO control on how 3rd party vendors implement their DLLs/EXEs ... if 3rd party are tied/link to a version and/or need a recompile with new SDK then you will have to seek out updates from 3rd party.

This process will likely repeat itself with v2.4 and onwards.  

Can the patch process be more informative and stream lined, sure it can ... having worked with creating my own patches and updates and using InstallShield, Wise, and a host of other deployment products in my professional life, they can be very simple to very complicated especially if custom processing needs to happen (like SDK support for example) ... I've spent months (months, not weeks) creating installers and testing them (which is the most difficult part give OS variants and cyclic updates).

But if you really want a truly streamlined patch process LM would need to get 3rd party content providers involved (in making the patch, automating their new updates, coordinating) in the process and I could easily see it adding 2-3 months or more to each release cycle.  Personally, I'd just rather work thru the issues than wait additional months ... complete full re-installs have only taken me 3 hours (and I've done this many times already and I have a very large install base of 3rd party).

But I'll take 3 hours over waiting 3 months for a streamlined fully 3rd party aware patch.

Cheers, Rob.

This process will likely repeat itself with v2.4 and onwards.  

I think the lesson is to keep the P3D install relatively clean - use just a few of the best-of-breed add-ons and be cautious about those that behave "exotically."

Of course, every time I do a clean install I swear that that's how I'm going to handle things this time, and then the add-ons start accreting...

But having slept on it, and read all the early reports (thanks to all who jumped in, then reported), I've decided to go the clean install route.  Now that FSUIPC is updated, all I need to do is wait for a new EMT (need it for A2A installs - see "best of breed," above) and then I'm good to go.

Good luck to everybody and please keep the reports coming in.

Echo this - didn't have any issues with the patch going from 2.2.10438 to 2.3 either. I don't use fsuipc, so didn't have to edit the xml files. All I cleared was my shader folder.

Same for me.... The only issue I have is some odd popping shadows on the terrain [anyone else see these?] and that may have nothing to do with the patching method. I may still do a clean install when time allows.

The sim does look a good deal better I feel, and I think it runs better too, but I've yet to test in any great detail.

You have to go into your P3D main folder and take a look at the P3D.exe and right click and select Properties and see if it updated to the latest version. Mine did not (after following Rob's instructions) and I ended up uninstalling everything then downloading and installing the complete version.

Best regards,

That's what I'll be doing, Jim. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020