Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Sound upgrade (How To)

Does anyone hear any gear sounds?

The gear warning seems to be missing and the gear up and down sounds are too faint to be heard..

Yeah I agree with that...maybe a fix for it?, increase volume in the gear sounds and fix the gear warning...we should make it know to the developer...

Hmm.  Was going to try the Arezone Seneca II sounds even though the II would be a compromise.  The Arezone sounds for the Malibu pretty much rescued that plane for me, but I'm intrigued by the comments on the Skysong soundset, particularly as it appears to be from a Seneca V.  Will probably give that a try instead.

As for the 337 as a source, a couple of things to note.  There are actually substantial differences between the 337's engine/prop combo and what's in the Seneca V.  While I know it's better than the Seneca's default set which really doesn't sound like much of anything, the 337 has its own unique sound and really doesn't sound much like a Seneca IRL.  Leaving aside the positioning of the engines, the 337 uses Continental IO360's (normally aspirated, fuel injected) with 2-blade props, while the Seneca V has TSIO360's (Turbo-charged, intercooled, fuel injected) with 3 blade props which crank out about 20 additional HP, in part due to a max RPM increase.

And finally, while I hate to disagree with Ray as I greatly respect his opinions and always enjoy his comprehensive reviews, I have to comment as I feel pretty strongly about this one.  For me, the Oovee soundset was pretty much a complete waste of money and a substantial downgrade from the stock 337 sounds inside the cockpit.  They did sound pretty nice outside as I recall, but inside they were just bad - muted, with a short and obvious repetitive loop and lacking proper sound transitions for prop vs throttle changes.  For example, with the stock sounds I can change prop settings on one engine and hear the proper lovely, discordant beat frequency caused by the two props being out of sync.  Doing the same with the Oovee soundset, I got nothing.

At any rate, good discussion with some nice (and badly needed) sound alternatives.  Thanks to the OP and to all participants.

Scott

For me, the Oovee soundset was pretty much a complete waste of money and a substantial downgrade from the stock 337 sounds inside the cockpit. They did sound pretty nice outside as I recall, but inside they were just bad - muted, with a short and obvious repetitive loop and lacking proper sound transitions for prop vs throttle changes.

Scott, You are, of course, correct in you assessment of the Oovee original C337H Soundset, but the v1.1 and v1.2 corrected those points plus a few others. The revised Oovee Soundset is available as a free download to the original purchasers.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks for the update on the Oovee soundset Ray.  I do have the first patch (1.1) but not the second.  Will have to give that a try the next time I pull the 337 out for a spin.

Also picked up and installed the Skysong sounds yesterday and dragged the plane out of the back of the hangar to try.  Better?  Yes, but still not that good.  One of my big hot buttons for sounds relates to how obvious the sound loops are and unfortunately, at climb and cruise power settings they're very obvious.  Both engine/prop and wind noises in fact  Gear and flap sounds are still almost inaudible as well, but perhaps they really are that way on a Seneca V.

Anyway, I think it's time to start trying a few other sound files as selective replacements.  In the meantime, pending SP release, back in the hangar it goes.

Scott

Oovee main web site looks like they gave up on sound sets. I got the skysong just now.. my #1 pet peeve is the sound on any aircraft. I have some home grown sets in the lib. If you have a Beech 18 in the hanger, I believe my set for it is the best ever made... and its free.

I also just added the Skysong Seneca V Sound set and it is a huge improvement.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Well, I'm sorry to say, but the SkySong may be even worse... sounds like 4 chain saws running together with little or no pitch change with prop pitch. Startup sound is horrendous... not the worst 12 bucks I ever lost, but this set is a no go also.

I digress... it's not an easy task to produce sound sets... and I only know of one studio that has people actually go outside and record real sound, and that's TSS.

If I had the funds and access, the only way to really do it, is to have a propless engine in a neutral sound room... then change to a prop spun up to RPM range for prop sounds... then place the entire plane on a shake table to mimic vibration clatter inside and out.  Then you would have to do this all again outside for the natural ambience of air and machine together... and that's before you go up at a towerless remote airport to record the interior with not radios on, no B'in Bettys, no boops, no beeps, and no people moving around with corduroy cloths.

RealAir does a super job, but the interiors don't account for room size, shape, and obstacles... so its a hard thing to do... and make any money from it.

Heya Henry, 

Don't know about the SkySong kit, but I do have your Baron TC update and the sounds you created were a pretty nice improvement over stock. I "upgraded" to the Oovee set, and while I find the sound in the cockpit slightly better (has more of a high-performance sound to it, if that makes any sense), the spot view sound is the SUCK! Sounds like a Dutch windmill with a broken blade...

I know you have cautioned me on sound editing (a slippery slope, indeed!), but your external view with the Oovee internal would be good. Ah, well.

And to anybody that cares, Henry (HawkDsl) has a great (terrific) turbo upgrade to the Carenado C337 and Baron, both "approved" by Carenado. Highly recommended. Once you go turbo, you never go back!!!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Well, I'm sorry to say, but the SkySong may be even worse... sounds like 4 chain saws running together with little or no pitch change with prop pitch.

I've got the Skysong sound set as well, and made two changes..

1. fix the groundroll loop and 2. remove the high RPM hissing sounds..

Try it and see..

For 1. replace the SENIIRoll sound by a slightly shortened version (contact me for a copy)

For 2. rename SENII_rpm4 right and left by adding xx to the name and

copy SENII_rpm3 right and left and rename the copies to rpm4.

Do not touch the xSENII sounds.

Bert

I'm with HawkDsl on this one (4 chainsaws - yep, that about captures it), but I will try Bert's slight mods to see if that helps.  I really didn't notice the groundroll loop so much as the looping at cruise.  Will try the RPM4 mod and see if that helps, and PM Bert for his groundroll fix because now that he's mentioned it, I'm sure I'll hear it. :-)

BTW, to follow up on some earlier comments - at Ray's suggestion I did update my Oovee 337 sounds to the final version they released and it is much improved.  The sounds and sequencing seem very well done, and most of my criticisms have been addressed, but... the in cockpit engine sounds and in cockpit gear and flap sounds are still too quiet.  When you can hear gyro sounds over the running engines of a light twin, it isn't right.  But I've shifted, as I like the overall quality of the sounds well enough now that I don't want to go back to the stock ones.  One of the things they get VERY right (and others miss) is the low frequency rumbles.  It seems like they really took the time to capture good 337 sound files - now if they were just a doggone little bit louder in cockpit...

Scott

Howellerman said "Once you go turbo, you never go back!!!" .. Boy, anit that the truth!... and thank you very much for the kind words!

Bert Pieke said "I've got the Skysong sound set as well, and made two changes.."

Thanks Bert, I'll give this a try.

--

All.. I'll play around with it for a couple weeks, and maybe.. MAYBE... come up with a better sound.cfg for this set with an engine only remix. You should hear pitch change in the props, even for just a grand of RPM change... so whatever slope they have in there is too stretched and level.

All.. I'll play around with it for a couple weeks, and maybe.. MAYBE... come up with a better sound.cfg for this set with an engine only remix.

Any upgrades you might be able to accomplish will be appreciated.

You should hear pitch change in the props, even for just a grand of RPM change...

Absolutely.

Scott

Ok... I've been playing with this one just about all night... #1 thing is... there are no Prop sounds... because they didn't include them... because they use the stock  Baron prop sounds.

Go to your stock Baron folder/sound and copy the following:

baron_prop1a_left

baron_prop1a_right

baron_prop1b_left

baron_prop1b_right

baron_prop2a_left

baron_prop2a_right

baron_prop2b_left

baron_prop2b_right

PASTE these into the Seneca's sound folder.  This wont make much difference as the slope and mix in their cfg file is just an after though. But FSX will spend a few nano seconds trying to find these files that aren't there... and you know FSX doesn't like to be confused.

I gave up on Sky, AreoZone has a great one at sim-market *for* the Seneca V.