Sign in to follow this  
Adam7046

Help regarding frame rate and memory pagefile

Hi All,

I have never really had good frame rates 15 to 20FPS, I mainly fly around Australia Sydney & YSSY. Much of it is Photo scenery.

When running MSI afterburner I notice my memory pagefile is constantly maxed out at 1600MB and I was wondering if getting more memory would increase performance.

Computer specs are

I7 4770K @ 4,400mhz

16gb 1600 Ram

x2 500gb SSD 

GTX 770 4GiG overclocked

When i load up the rendering options I am running a Texture resolution at Very High, if i go to extreme i get around 2fps

As i sit on the runway the total size of all loaded textures is 2428.76meg

GPU memory is maxed out at 3.8gig

Pagefile is maxed out at 16gb

Cheers, 

Adam

Hi Adam,

Do you have the Compress textures option enabled in the rendering settings? (Top left)

That can make a big difference.

You state your pagefile is maxed, but there's a difference between Pagefile Size and Pagefile Usage.

It could very well be that your pagefile is being initialized on startup to the max size set in your windows configuration, to 16Gb. 

Ideally you would want you pagefile size to be 1.5 times the amount of memory installed in your system.

Now to look at actual utilization. In Perfmon you should be looking at the counter called "Page File % Usage". That will tell you exactly how much of your pagefile is being used. If it's low during X-Plane usage, then your system's memory is performing well and there's no bottlenecks.

If however your % usage is at or near 100% during X-Plane, you need more system memory since a lot of the memory contents are being swapped out to disk.

Regarding Disk bottlenecks:

You can easily test to see if your disk subsystem is the bottleneck. Load up the perfmon counter "% AVG Disk Queue Length" (Or something like that)> The values you'll see are widely open to interpretation but a good rule of thumb is if it's below 20, you're good... Anything higher and you may want to research your disks as being the bottleneck

Those are good starting places. Of course we could get into CPUs  or video pressure but for now, this is the low-hanging fruit you need to be looking at.  

My system specs are a lot lower and I have essentially the same X-Plane config as yours. (I do run SkyMaxx v2, which REALLY helped my frame rates in clouds)

Hope that helps!

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Its odd, since I have a i7 3770k @ 4.3 with EVGA 670 FTW 2-2g, with the exception of KORD ( which i suspect there is a bug in that airport) my frames don't go below 30 anywhere else.

Post your XP settings, maybe we can compare.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

With 16GB of RAM, you don't need memory paging. In your case, it just allocates precious SSD space, gives extra operating system work to process the memory paging system, to say the least. Turn it off. Set to "no paging file".

Computer specs are

16gb 1600 Ram

x2 500gb SSD

Pagefile is maxed out at 16gb

How do I turn it off?

Control Panel (view by large or small icons)>> System>>Advanced System Settings

From the advanced tab Performance section choose "Settings"

Then choose the Advanced Tab and click "Change" under the virtual memory section

Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives." and then choose No Paging file and finally click "Set". You then need to acknowledge the warning about Windows not being able to provide details to help troubleshoot problems......