Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Throwing in the towel....

you can change this location so that is not pointing to your C: drive.

Rob, would changing the temp folder location after P3Dv2.3 is installed, affect my ability to, down the road, uninstall P3Dv2.3? (ie; As in preparation for clean install/upgrade to v2.4?) 

Jazz

I would like to uninstall version 2.2 and the Hot Fix and then do a complete re-install of 2.3. Is this link still valid for this task?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439035-read-me-first-if-you-are-having-v22-issues-follow-these-steps/

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Welcome to X-Plane! No offense intended, but this is what xp10 users/developers have been going through, for years. Us old timers have to get accustomed to the fact of having ongoing development for our favourite flightsim. That is what we have wanted for years, and now we have it. Enjoy the ride.

Which is what it's great XPlane is on Steam. No non-sense easy updating and re-installation, or validation.

Rob, would changing the temp folder location after P3Dv2.3 is installed, affect my ability to, down the road, uninstall P3Dv2.3?

It should NOT ... Install/Repair functionality is in the Package Cache folders.  Unfortunately the package cache folders keep a duplicate so it can be rather large 8-10GB in size just for P3D.  But moving/relocating the package cache folders is NOT for the timid and not something I'd recommend unless you really know your OS.

I would like to uninstall version 2.2 and the Hot Fix and then do a complete re-install of 2.3.

That should still work, key is that you delete those 4 folders referenced in that link and then make sure P3D V2.2 installed to folder is gone also (it will not be deleted by uninstall if you have added any other sub folders to the P3D root).

Cheers, Rob.

Just had a look at that Package Cache info. Maybe not.

Yes, it's intimidating and intended for someone who is very experienced and knows their OS inside/out ... unfortunately the package cache folder for P3D is rather large (duplicate) 8-10GB in size.  

However, 10GB free on you C: drive is going to be an issues with many products (beyond just P3D install) ... you really should think about freeing up you C: drive if you want a better overall installation experience -- like I said, some installers (like PILOT's FTX Edition Mesh) will simply just not do a full install if it runs out of space but more importantly it will NOT report back to the user there was any error ... you just don't get all the correct Mesh files installed, which can be a problem.

My rule for C: is 20GB free at all times.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Just had a look at that Package Cache info. Maybe not. There are only so many hours in a day...;)

I was in the same boat as you, with about 7 gig free on my C: drive.  I have 16 gig of RAM.  I disabled hibernation and got about 12 gig of drive space freed up.  Then I cut the page file down from 16 gig to 800 meg (It complained if I tried to go lower) and got another almost 16 gig free.  With 16 gig of RAM I don't expect to need the page file very often.

As for Package Cache, I found the entry that had the P3D files in it, about 10 gig, and deleted that folder.  In the end I had almost 35 gig free on my C: drive.  You may wish to leave the folder itself, but move the files in it to another drive, restoring them if necessary.

Another option is to upgrade your SDD to a bigger one.  Who was the rocket scientist who thought 64 gig would be enough for a C: drive??  When I bought the computer that way, I had no idea.  But these guys designed and  built computers for a living;  they should have known better.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Mitch not Mike :)

Oooooops!

Apologies Mitch.   :blush:

Thank-You, Rob. I don't have to worry about that, then. Currently have 176Gb's free on my C drive. I tend not to install any programs to my C drive unless it is absolutely required.

Regards, Jazz

I was in the same boat as you, with about 7 gig free on my C: drive.  I have 16 gig of RAM.  I disabled hibernation and got about 12 gig of drive space freed up.  Then I cut the page file down from 16 gig to 800 meg (It complained if I tried to go lower) and got another almost 16 gig free.  With 16 gig of RAM I don't expect to need the page file very often.

As for Package Cache, I found the entry that had the P3D files in it, about 10 gig, and deleted that folder.  In the end I had almost 35 gig free on my C: drive.  You may wish to leave the folder itself, but move the files in it to another drive, restoring them if necessary.

Another option is to upgrade your SDD to a bigger one.  Who was the rocket scientist who thought 64 gig would be enough for a C: drive??  When I bought the computer that way, I had no idea.  But these guys designed and  built computers for a living;  they should have known better.

Hook

Hi Hook thanks for the info and yes maybe I should upgrade to a new SSD for the OS. Dreading having to reinstall everything though! I think that is the way forward. I'm sure the PC would appreciate a fresh OS install anyway!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Maybe LM should adopt the way LR updates XPlane.

I feel the pain for all of you guys, having to go through all of these steps and requirements just to install a 155mb patch!!! What a waste of simming time.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Dreading having to reinstall everything though!

You may not have to.  While I haven't done this myself, I've seen references to software (probably comes with the new SSD) that will do a migration of data from the old SSD for you.  I have no idea how this works, or even if it does.  I don't think I have any extra SATA plugs, for example.  I'm going to limp along on 33 gig free currently until I replace this computer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I just got my computer back and up and running from a System Image.

2.2 locked and loaded...everything working, all add-on...whew...

I think that I will just be happy to continue using a stable and add-on loaded v2.2, but will watch to see v2.3 mature...add-on support, etc.  I wish all early adopters a smooth flight...and happy landings!  Will enjoy reading all your reports of usage.  

Oooooops!

Apologies Mitch.   :blush:

No problem...I'll answer to any name, if a good home-cooked meal is in the deal! :)

Fresh install of 2.3 is the best way to do this - patching is not a good idea imo - make sure everything from old p3d is gone and do a reg clean - just make sure you backup all the files that may be needed for reference to get certain programs working again - what I did is document any problem programs on how I did get it installed the first time I installed 2.2 - glad I did as the memory is not my strong suit - not good for a guitarist - 35 year X-drummer no memory required LOL

Rich Sennett

Maybe LM should adopt the way LR updates XPlane.

I feel the pain for all of you guys, having to go through all of these steps and requirements just to install a 155mb patch!!! What a waste of simming time.

Agreed.  The patches in XPX are pretty simple to get installed.  It's funny, when I hear a new version of P3D is out, I am excited and sad at the same time... knowing I will likely need to do a full install.

No problem...I'll answer to any name, if a good home-cooked meal is in the deal! :)

OK Mitch.  Only problem you'll have to come to Ballina, NSW, Australia to enjoy it.

I'm the long, low house on the corner block directly East of the Boat Harbour on the Richmond River. Of course this presupposes you own Orbx's Australia Blue region coupled with Holger's mesh.  Ant's Ballina airport YNBA is a must have as well.  The area looks a treat in P3D an even includes the round tower on the North wall of the bar in which I volunteer as a radio operator for Marine Rescue Ballina.  :rolleyes:

Look forward to (virtually) hosting you.

Hook

What's the location of the cache folder?

Thanks, Bruce