Sign in to follow this  
rufowler

syncing colors with a second/newer monitor

I just decided to upgrade one of my old, crappy monitors so that I would have two very similar displays, nearly the same in size & quality, and could a nice wide virtual cockpit in FSX.  My primary monitor that I've had for about three years is a Hannspree 259H: 25" LCD, 16:9 widescreen, 1920 x 1080p @ 60 hz, 5000:1 contrast.  (More specs here if you're interested.)  Nothing incredible, but it's been a perfectly fine gaming display, and I've have no complaints whatsoever.

The new second monitor I just got on sale is an Asus VN247H: 24" LCD w/ LED backlighting, 16:9 widescreen, 1920 x 1080p @ 60 hz, and 8mil:1 contrast.  If anything is should be better than the first one.  (More specs here.)  Fyi, they both are connected to my ADM Radeon R7 card with an identical HDMI-to-DVI cable.

I don't think there's anything technically "wrong" with the newer (and theoretically better) Asus.  It looked fine in the store, and on top of my desk, if there was nothing else to compare it to, I'd say it was ok I guess.  But there's something, I dunno, funny about it. :-/ Out of the box, it's definitely a lot cooler in tint with more blue overall than the Hanspree it was meant to compliment nicely.  Despite playing with the settings on the monitor itself to warm it up, it has doesn't look as rich or as lush as the other one, and it's just a little harder on the eyes trying to read text.  That being said, I honestly don't think it's defective; it can display saturated reds, yellows, greens, & blues, I've swapped the cables and the GPU ports it's plugged into, and I've done some other idiot checks. 

I guess what bothers me is that I can't seem to get the two displays looking similar enough when they are right sitting right next to each other.  And now when running FSX trying to get one nice extended cockpit view, it's driving me absolute crazy!  After fiddling around AMD's Catalyst Control Center for literally hours trying to get these two looking great (well, really trying to get the new Asus to look like the older Hannspree), I'm at my wit's end.  :(

Is there nothing I can do about this?  Is it just impossible to get two different machines like these to look really similar? ... and I'm not talking super identical -- I just mean similar enough so that I don't notice.  Help!

Despite playing with the settings on the monitor itself to warm it up, it has doesn't look as rich or as lush as the other one, and it's just a little harder on the eyes trying to read text.

What controls have you tried?

Are they both set to the same colour temperature?

Have you tried running the Windows screen colour calibration utility?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.