Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

FS9 flight-models: do the real-life manufacturers help?

Guest ThrottleUp

Do the boffins at Airbus, Boeing & Pilatus help people like Posky, iFDG & AFG when they want to create planes for FS9 with accurate flight-modelling? I've always wondered about this and wanted to ask all of you if that was the case - or if most of the flight modelling in FS9 was educated "guesstimation" using input from real airline pilots perhaps? :)How are details that I see in the aircraft.cfg arrived at? Stuff like this:------------------------------------max_pitch_acceleration=1.000000max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.000000nav_proportional_control=9.000000nav_integrator_control=0.250000nav_derivative_boundary=0.000000------------------------------------I think it would be neat if the real-life manufacturers helped out when it came to supplying flight-model data to the FS9 aircraft-creators!:)

>Do the boffins at Airbus, Boeing & Pilatus help people like>Posky, iFDG & AFG when they want to create planes for FS9 with>accurate flight-modelling? >If people in the FS scene address them as "boffins" any assistance they render will quickly disappear.>I've always wondered about this and wanted to ask all of you>if that was the case - or if most of the flight modelling in>FS9 was educated "guesstimation" using input from real airline>pilots perhaps? :)>Most is estimated guesses.There have been a few, a very few, instances of manufacturers providing input.The Flight1 ATR is pretty much the only one at the moment, discounting the cooperation between Microsoft, Boeing, and Cessna.Of course it's possible that individual employees of aircraft manufacturers assist FS model makers on personal title, I would guess this would not be made public though.Pilots of course do give their input.>How are details that I see in the aircraft.cfg arrived at?>Stuff like this:>Trial and error.>I think it would be neat if the real-life manufacturers helped>out when it came to supplying flight-model data to the FS9>aircraft-creators!>If there's a business incentive they may. Apparently there isn't, at least for most of them.

Guest ThrottleUp

<<< If people in the FS scene address them as "boffins" any assistance they render will quickly disappear. >>>I didnt mean that as a diss!!!!!!!! :)Pilots & simmers have great reserves of humour and Im sure they would see that as a term in jest. Thanx for ur reply! Interesting!!!!:)

Guest bobsk8

Flight 1's ATR-72 received much input from the Manufacturer of the ATR, and that's probably the reason that quite a few Real ATR Pilots fly the sim and visit the ATR forum all the time.

Diamond Aircraft helped Digital Aviation/Aerosoft in the design of their DA20 Katana addon. But, I don't think it's that common. However, real-world pilots of the aircraft will often give their input. This was the case with the DF Bonanza, for example.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest ThrottleUp

Oh thats cool that ATR & Diamond helped out when a Atr72 and Katana were being designed for FS9. Its also nice to see in many freeware planes that real pilots provided a lot of input and test-flew the airplane before it was released! :)RonB49 - "Boffin" is British slang. It means "very clever", "scientific person" etc.For example if somone in your high school Physics class kept getting grade A's in every test then he would be the class boffin :)