Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Avoid uninstalling!

This tip comes from an experience with bunch of free and payware purchased add ons for FSX. When I want to get rid of some add-on planes, mostly tested freeware planes, I usually go to FSX root and try to find uninstall executable for it, or find it under start menu. But in few occasions after uninstalling I found that some of effect or texture files are missing. I remember that even after uninstalling one payware plane some crucial FSX files were missing.

Conclusion? In the last few months I always, and I mean ALWAYS remove add ons and planes by deleting the folder in simobjects, and developer folder in FSX root. You can also remove a subfolder folder in sounds folder. That way I'm sure my FSX install will stay untouched. Effects and some additional texture files left by that add-on are not a threat, FSX will not use them.

A little tip, remainder, or a warning if you like.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Far easier to make a  copy the whole FSx folder on another drive when its a fresh install, than the files are always avliable when you need them.

Far easier to make a  copy the whole FSx folder on another drive when its a fresh install, than the files are always avliable when you need them.

Good tip, yes, but still you must find a missing file by yourself, or if you have Total Commander just compare folders. ;)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I remember that even after uninstalling one payware plane some crucial FSX files were missing.

What addon was that?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

What addon was that?

regards,

Joe

It was a year ago or so, really can't recall for sure. I know only it wasn't a top quality addon, of course. :)

And that's why I install any plane with an autoinstaller to a temporary folder before putting it into FSX.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hear, Hear!! I always install into a temp folder. I really dont like installers doing their own thing. This way, I can see where the readme's are as well. Normally, after I have copied from the temp folder into the sim, I then run the uninstall program, if any, in the temp folder. If I dont like the new aircraft, I just delete it from the sim. I'm not too concerned if the guages or any other related files for the aircraft are left behind. They are normally so small in size & do no harm if left behind.

Just my thoughts & the way I do things. (FS9, (2x versions), FSX & P3D)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Installing in a temp folder is a very good idea.

But if you don't want to do it, just backup your "modules" folder before installation, becouse a lot of installers will overwrite your FSUIPC and replace it with some older version, and after that FSX will CTD on start-up :) Then, after you uninstall something, if your effects are missing, just use this very nice tool: http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/8/256

Is their installer of the "You can't change anything!" kind?

No  you  got 3 options  to choose from once to run the  installer again   modify, repair or  remove options

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

No  you  got 3 options  to choose from once to run the  installer again   modify, repair or  remove options

But can you change the path when first installing it?

But can you change the path when first installing it?

If you install complex payware aircraft into temporary folder and then move them to FSX the chances are they will not work. 

Really only times when I install anything on temp folder are with some FS2004 stuff that I'm testing on FSX & freeware. Usually there's no reason whatsoever to install FSX payware on temporary folder and in some cases it might cause problems. 

And of course most of FSX freeware installers shouldn't cause any trouble either unless there's something wrong with them. 

If you install complex payware aircraft into temporary folder and then move them to FSX the chances are they will not work. 

Really only times when I install anything on temp folder are with some FS2004 stuff that I'm testing on FSX & freeware. Usually there's no reason whatsoever to install FSX payware on temporary folder and in some cases it might cause problems. 

And of course most of FSX freeware installers shouldn't cause any trouble either unless there's something wrong with them. 

There's no such thing as a "manually uninstallable, complex payware aircraft". It's just a bunch of folders, files and the odd custom .dll and exe.xml and/or dll.xml entries or custom configuration files or whatnot. As long as any referenced paths point to the right target (by manual intervention), everything is fine and dandy.

Maybe so, still I don't see why anybody would waste their time on that with every single thing they install... Only thing that has ever caused me problems when doing automatic install was some freeware AI traffic program designed for FS9, apparently it included some custom effects that didn't work very well with FSX and replaced its default effects.