Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Avoid uninstalling!

But can you change the path when first installing it?

Why would  you change  the path  for since it searches for where your fsx is installed

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Why would  you change  the path  for since it searches for where your fsx is installed

Most of them do that, but still...can you install it to a temporary folder or are you completely at the hands of the makers of the installer?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Ok now you lost me  now  so what you saying is when you run the installer you want to install it  to a temporary folder?

Or  are you saying  can you  save the installer to a temporary folder   which you can  or any other folder you like. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Now you got me wondering on what you are trying to achieve here, am I missing  some thing,  You cant install the pmdg Aircraft to a temp  folder as you describe

Peter kelberg

So you never fly PMDG planes?

Maybe surprising to you, but there are many people who don't fly pmdg aircraft.

Not everyone dreams of being a button pusher at 35,000 feet

Maybe surprising to you, but there are many people who don't fly pmdg aircraft.

Not everyone dreams of being a button pusher at 35,000 feet

+1. You don't "fly" a PMDG anything. You just sort of go along for the ride. No fun in that (IMNSHO).

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You cant install the pmdg Aircraft to a temp  folder as you describe

Bad policy. To me, at least.

No need to install in a temp folder, really.You need a simple BACKUP folder with default textures and effects, that's all. When you want to remove airplane, just delete it from simobjects. I also delete developer folder in the FSX root. You can also delete start menu folder and shortcuts left behind. Only problem are leftovers in the registry, and you can clean that too with certain software. I didn''t have positive experience with registry cleaning applications so I would leave it alone. It's most important to leave FSX install cleanest as possible and valid. Reinstalling FSX and all addons and custom files, textures, etc, is such a big headache for me, every time can last for days. Better few undeleted registry entries, than few days of FSX reinstall agony.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Bad policy. To me, at least.

Think you getting confused or is it me getting  confused here, I say once  again you can place the pmdg exe  in any location you like being a temp folder or  disc or anywhere you desire. But  once you run the installer it searches  on where your fsx is installed and it installs it.  Or am I wrong  here :o

Peter kelberg

Think you getting confused or is it me getting  confused here, I say once  again you can place the pmdg exe  in any location you like being a temp folder or  disc or anywhere you desire. But  once you run the installer it searches  on where your fsx is installed and it installs it.  Or am I wrong  here :o

You got things mixed up a bit. It's not about where I can put the installer itself, it's about that I want to see what files are installed BEFORE I put them into my FSX by installing the add-on to a temporary folder. And If an installer does not allow this, it's, as I've said, bad policy.

No need to install in a temp folder, really.You need a simple BACKUP folder with default textures and effects, that's all. When you want to remove airplane, just delete it from simobjects. I also delete developer folder in the FSX root. You can also delete start menu folder and shortcuts left behind. Only problem are leftovers in the registry, and you can clean that too with certain software. I didn''t have positive experience with registry cleaning applications so I would leave it alone. It's most important to leave FSX install cleanest as possible and valid. Reinstalling FSX and all addons and custom files, textures, etc, is such a big headache for me, every time can last for days. Better few undeleted registry entries, than few days of FSX reinstall agony.

A backup of FSX somewhere is a give and Registry cleaners aren't half bad either.

But there's a reason that I haven't had to reinstall FSX in years...it has, in part, to do with careful selection of what gets installed and how it gets installed.

You got things mixed up a bit. It's not about where I can put the installer itself, it's about that I want to see what files are installed BEFORE I put them into my FSX by installing the add-on to a temporary folder

Still don't know why you want  to do this for. Since  if  you don't  want  some files installed  you want to delete them, see if  the pmdg works  than with missing  files.  Have you installed any pmdg aircraft at all.

Peter kelberg

And If an installer does not allow this, it's, as I've said, bad policy.

It's a bad policy only if we assume that the installer could somehow mess something up. Quality installers such as those from PMDG (and 90% of other payware developers) will not do that.

Have you installed any pmdg aircraft at all.

No, the installer put me off.

It's a bad policy only if we assume that the installer could somehow mess something up. Quality installers such as those from PMDG (and 90% of other payware developers) will not do that.

Still, better safe than sorry.

No, the installer put me off.

So what other payware Aircraft or scenery installers  have you installed  than?

Peter kelberg