Sign in to follow this  
Fullthrottle

Prepar3D Folder

The programme has installed itself in a separate folder in programme 86 files. Is this correct? or should it be in the FSX Folder. Also I have installed Airbus X Extended with Prepar3d included it could not find Microsoft simulator even though I selected and OK'd the folder for it.

Many thanks

Mike

That was not good. You should have directed the program to a library OUTSIDE Program(x86) files.

Hi

Never install it into the x86 folder

But p3d is a completely different program and has nothing to do with fsx so it should be installed in its own directory. It is not an addon to fsx but a completely separate sim

As to you airbus install ,I'm only guessing but I think your mistaking p3d as an addon. If you want to add your airbus to p3d then check if it has a p3d installer,if it does not then you will need to get the Estonia tool or try pointing the airbus to your p3d install if you can

hope that helps a bit

rgds

Pete Little

Hi Pete. It says on the box compatible with Prepar3d. I was surprised when the installation disk gives the option to install it. I thought it was a separate add on which I could buy. Now I know. I will have a sort out. Many thanks for your advice guys.

One more question would FSX and or Airbus extended X be able to find the folder Prepar3d, or does it need to be tweaked some way. Sorry guys I'm new to this. 

Cheers

Mike

Hi mike

A lot of fsx addons that work in fsx will work fine in p3d as the core programing is the same and the folder structure is the same.

When you install an addon a few of the programs have dual installers and will give you the option to install to either fsx or p3d.

You must think fsx and p3d as 2 completely separate programs that do not interact in any way with each other so what you install in one will not show up in the other

(this is not strictly true but for now assume that it is)

Regarding the airbus I don't have it but ,when you install the disk, does it ask where your fsx directory is ?

If it does then if you want to put it into p3d then instead of pointing it to the fsx directory point it to to the p3d directory

eg   fsx normally would go in something like...        C;\fsx

and the p3d would be something like    C:\prepar3d

as I said in first post never ever put any program in the x86 folder as windows screws up the permissions

if you put it in it own folder then life becomes much easier .

hope that make  sense, pm me if not and i'll try and help a bit more

rgds

Pete

Pete Little

Hi Pete. I have moved Prepar3d out of 86 to programme files, but all the rest FSX, pmdg, and all add on's etc. have installed themselves in Microsoft games in the 86 folder. Do these all need to be moved into programme files? To be honest I just accepted were they were installing themselves from the disks without taking to much notice. I have checked Microsoft Flight Simulator X (86) folder. And they all seem to be in there. Would most appreciate your advice.

Many thanks

Mike  

Hi guys. i put P3d 2.3 in my ssd C:/P3d     is it the best or i should let prepar3d install by him self in is own directory.  i have a high end machine and it look to have a lot of microstutter . thanks

Hi Mike

When you say moved out of x86 to program files do you mean cut and paste or uninstall and reinstall into the program files?

Also what version of windows are you running I'm guessing as you have an x86 option its 64bit

Personally I install all my flight sim stuff in its own directory on my C: drive in there own directories.I never use the program files option

Depending on the addons they also go in their own directories on the same drive.Scenery stuff like airports can be placed in one place and cross referenced if they are p3d compatable to save some space but for a lot of things you will have double installs

For info pmdg stuff will not work in p3d

Gemelli that should be fine I never put any flight sim stuff in program files which I think is p3d default install

rgds

Pete Little

Hey Fullthrottle,

Assuming that You are Running Windows 7/64bit ??

P3d is a 32 bit program - which means it should be installed in the 32 bit program folder - ( X86 ) - when LM Re-Writes P3D into a 64 bit Program - Then they will re-write the installer to install it into the 64 bit Folder - " Program Files ".

My Windows 7/64 P3D is installed in the " program files ( X86 ) - 32 bit folder - and I run My Computer as Administrator - So I do not have that conflict with permissions .

If You are having a conflict - running P3D in the ( X86 ) folder - then Re install it to the ( C:\ Drive ) - The

" Programs Folder " is for 64 bit Programs .

You can rest assured that LM has written the Installer to install the Program into the proper folder .

How is Your P3D  running as installed now ?? - Good Luck !

Johnman

Hi mazelda. I dragged the prepar3d folder across to programme files from 86. Probably not the correct way to do it. Though I could re install it. I am running Win 8.1 64bt with 1.8 TB HD And 8GB Ram. From what you say it sounds like its best to install every thing anywhere but programme files. Which I could do. Apart from the occasional programme crash it seems to work ok. I did wonder if moving it all out of 86 would be beneficial what would you think? Its the old saying if it aint broke then don't fix it.

Hi Johnman

Computer specs as above. It seems to run ok unless I am missing something. There does seem to be a lot of opinions as to default folder locations as set by the software supplier. Re my first post Airbus prepar3d could not find Microsoft flight sim folder. Also Airbus x the rotating altitude, HDG, and speed switches don't work on the main panel though active do not adjust display.  

Thanks to you both for your responses.

"Dragging" folders is a Very Bad Idea, since doing so will invalidate the Registry SetupPath information...

When installing FSX or Prepar3D, always click on the "Options" tab and choose the installation path of your choice!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Lots of really bad advice in this thread.

First, Program Files (x86) is just fine for an installation path. Prepar3D will work flawlessly in that path. I promise.

As for addons, any addon that can not function in that path is written incorrectly for the "security" measures that Microsoft has in the OS. UAC (User Access Control) is usually the main culprit. Disable that and your problems are greatly reduced. Also might want to consider shutting down DEP (Data Execution Prevention).

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

First, Program Files (x86) is just fine for an installation path. Prepar3D will work flawlessly in that path. I promise.

As long as there is sufficient room on the OS drive, Ed...

Unfortunately, once folks begin stuffing FSX or P3D full of add-on packages, they may very well run out of available drive space.

It would be an entirely different case if either FSX or P3D allowed data to be stored elsewhere such as most other "professional programs" such as Photoshop, Max2012, Visual Studio, etc. do!

With the increasing popularity of small SSD drives being used these days for the primary drive, there is simply not enough room on them for a whole lot more than just the OS and associated drivers.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

First, the argument against the x86 folder has never been about drive space... so bringing that up in an attempt to counter my statement is not exactly 'on topic'. LOL

However... since you brought it up...

1 -Aircraft can be installed to locations other than the default SimObjects folder. Technically. It is possible to add more paths to the sim for it to locate SimObjects.

2 -Most addon 'data' is where it is by their choice, not by any restrictions of the sim and it's generally done because it's the 'easy' way.

3 -Scenery can be installed pretty much anywhere you want.

So... what more does the sim need to offer with regards to data location(s)?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Interesting points here about folders. I dragged prepar3d out of 86 into programme files it didn't seem to make any difference so will put it back into 86. Have any of you installed Prepar3d from the Airbus x extended disc? It asked for Microsoft simulator in the 86 folder but it couldn't find it even though I gave it the path location.

Cheers

Mike