Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Looking for some advice from ORBX users

I need to do a complete rebuild of FSX (reason is that I have to add Acceleration to my current SP2 in order to get one and possible two aircraft to work properly).  Given that I am about to go through all of this work to reinstall I was thinking of perhaps switching from my current scenery setup (FSGenesis Mesh, UTX, Cloud 9 Land class and GEX) to a complete ORBX setup - Global Mesh, ORBX Global textures, Vector and LC.

I have read about all kinds of issues (trees in runways, plateaus, etc), and I wonder if making this change is wise or potentially a disaster ?  Perhaps I just need to wait until the product matures a bit more before taking the plunge.  BTW, it is not lost on me that this will cost quite bit so if there is no big gain I probably don't want to do it. 

Any advice apreciated.  thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

ughhhh a FSX reinstall....feel for ya

If your in no great hurry it could pay to wait. Global has been out quite a while and Im sure there will be an all in one discount soon.

I have all the regions but no global so cant comment but I will get it at some stage

ZORAN

Hi Mark.  At one time I had almost exactly the same add-ons in FSX as you mentioned above.  When I moved to P3Dv2.2 I installed the same set of add-ons from Orbx & FSGlobal(Ultimate) as you are looking at.  While I do understand that things are not 100% comparable between the two sims I can state that I have very few problems like you are concerned about. 

While I do very occasionally run across an "aircraft carrier" type airport I think the problem is no worse than what I had in FSX.  I fly mostly into small/medium sized airports and I think the elevation issue might be a little worse with those fields than major airports.  I have never found a field with the trees etc in the middle of the runways.

Please note that all my flying is in the United States.

Right now it's kind of a mixed bag.   In general the textures look better and I think the mesh might be marginally better.  But I have no add-on LC installed, I'm waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for OrbxOpenLC North America to show up.  Therefore I'm not getting as much scenery variation as I did when I had Cloud9 X-class LC installed in FSX.  From the few screenies I've seen of OpenLC Europe there will be a great improvement when OpenLC NA shows up.  Here are a couple of recent screenies from P3D and with the add-ons as we have discussed:

The first is taken near my home in West Virginia and is startlingly close to the actual landforms and road/water placements:

JETLINE-3202-2014-apr-25-006.jpg

The below was taken in North Carolina near the Outer Banks (near the Atlantic Ocean) and is more generic in nature:

for%2Bforum.jpg

Heya Mark, 

I too had FSGenesis/UTX/GEX and was pretty pleased with that combination. That being said, once I moved to Orbx I never looked back. The detail and the appearance put Orbx a level above UTX/GEX.

I have all US regions, and FTXGlobal. My most recent acquisition is OpenLC EU and Vector, and what a difference that made to Europe - just stunning!

By the way, I still use FS Genesis mesh - works just fine, and  just like in FTX it will create battle ships for some airports. 

Orbx has a demo region for the Pacific Northwest. Check it out, first in your existing setup and afterwards. I think you will be hooked, especially if you like GA flying.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

ne thing you could do is install the Cloud 9 landclass until the OpenLC for North America is released.

Yeah, I know. I'm just too lazy I guess.  chuckle.  Don't want to have to go to the supreme effort of unchecking the appropriate box when Open LC NA finally shows up.

Heya Mark, 

I too had FSGenesis/UTX/GEX and was pretty pleased with that combination. That being said, once I moved to Orbx I never looked back. The detail and the appearance put Orbx a level above UTX/GEX.

I have all US regions, and FTXGlobal. My most recent acquisition is OpenLC EU and Vector, and what a difference that made to Europe - just stunning!

By the way, I still use FS Genesis mesh - works just fine, and  just like in FTX it will create battle ships for some airports. 

Orbx has a demo region for the Pacific Northwest. Check it out, first in your existing setup and afterwards. I think you will be hooked, especially if you like GA flying.

Thanks John, never thought about the combination.  Replacing FSGenesis with PIlots Global Ultimate mesh is the most expensive part of the equation here so this might be a good alternative.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

FSGenesis mesh will work fine.  I bought the new mesh because new & expensive just has to be better. Right?  Right??  Stop laughing!!

I have all the UTX areas and I use them with FTX Global, FTX Open LC EUR in addition to all theFTXregions and they work beautifullly together. I have thus far avoided installing FTX Vector as there still seems to be a lot of issues surrounding that particularly elevation issues, so instead I rely on the vector elements of UTX. GEX is not needed with FTX Global so I unistalled that. Very impressed indeed with the final results of this combination!

Bill