Sign in to follow this  

It appears Intel is releasing their latest version along with the X99 chipset in September.

Anyone have a point of view on this?

Dan Cole

Dan Cole

My system is dying... That's what I'm going for

No idea in what the perf will be like - but it will support ddr4 mem

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I had to do some research on this new CPU and chipset and found that Samsung (for one) is building an SSD with almost twice the bandwidth of current SSD's (6GB).  The new bandwidth will be 10GB's which is impressive but I see will be very expensive.  The DDR4 upgrade will be great too but not too sure how much faster that will help in running FSX and/or P3D apps and addons.  Here's the link that has some interesting information about how much faster PC's will run with this technology: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-much-faster-will-pcs-with-intel-x99-8-core-cpus-and-ddr4-ram-be/# .

For me, I have the Haswell chipset and will wait for the Skylake chipset in a year or two.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm upgrading from a 2500K which I've clocked to 4.4, so I'm guessing it might represent a discernible performance in crease for me.

Dan Cole

Watching this for feedback as I am coming from a 2500k @ 4.8...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I would expect to see a reasonable improvement in performance in P3D when upgrading an I5 2500K based PC system, because it can take advantage of the power locked up in your GPU. However, just how much of an improvement would anyone see in FSX when upgrading from an i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz? FSX doesn't use the GPU anywhere near as much as P3D, and the i5 2500k at high clock frequencies is surely still a potent weapon as far as CPUs are concerned? How much difference does increased RAM speed and general data bandwidth make to FSX?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

. However, just how much of an improvement would anyone see in FSX when upgrading from an i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz? FSX

I just upgraded from my i5-2500K @ 4.6G  to i7-4790K @ 4.7G and I cannot imagine ever going back

Great benefits

Then again, for FSX, what is the diff btw 33 fps and 50, it is the same

But in P3DV23 where I play, it has done a lot of good. All textures in focus  at all times (mostly)

"Then again, for FSX, what is the diff btw 33 fps and 50, it is the same

But in P3DV23 where I play, it has done a lot of good. All textures in focus  at all times (mostly)"

Well said, and that´s why I´ll stay with my i7 2700K, and get off the neverending upgrade trip, because it don´t mean a thing in FSX!

(Don´t have P3D, I think it´s no good)

I had OK performance with a Q6600 and GTX 285 back in 2009, why?

Balanced settings, very simple trick!

I have good perf. with the 2700K now, why?

Balanced settings...

I'm upgrading from a 2500K which I've clocked to 4.4, so I'm guessing it might represent a discernible performance in crease for me.

Honestly? Save your money, you won't see much difference.

Mo45

I'm slowly building new pc for p3d,

Could someone recommend the best make/speed of ram to use to suit an 4790k on a asus maiximus vi extreme , also going to use 1tb ssd for sim drive. I've also been a long user of ati , so not sure if I should go nvidia or get a 290x

Cheers

Riche

Could someone recommend the best make/speed of ram to use to suit an 4790k on a asus maiximus vi extreme , also going to use 1tb ssd for sim drive. I've also been a long user of ati , so not sure if I should go nvidia or get a 290x

Cheers

Riche

With that mobo, you'll be using DDR3. The fastest possible RAM with lowest timings is desirable for FSX but I am unsure how much difference it makes in P3D. I use 8gb of Trident X 2400.

LM is working directly with Nvidia to come up with a profile for P3D. Being that P3D is a very GPU hungry program, SLI is a must for furthering the sim experience. It will eventually have native support. AMD has not had much interest in supporting P3D. I would wait and see how the 8xx series Nvidia GPU stacks up before buying anything. Rumor has it that the 880 will at least equal the 780 ti with less power drain and a lower price, <$500. Nvidia will probably realease the 8xx next month.

Great choice on the CPU btw:) Hope that helps, good luck.

Cheers

Riche

I've just finished settling an OC for my i7-4790K at 4.7G with 1.29v VCore

Dont worry about RAM yet, use your old DDR3 for now

Looking at OC potential is all

I have the 290 and its because it has 4G VRAM

You may need that

And it is a lot cheaper than an 780Ti which only has 3G as far as i know

But I am keeping an eye on NVidia/LM work, and if that ever works out maybe Ill switch

Gonna stop upgrading for fsx as it old software. Bought i7 4790k just for fsx and be last upgrade geared towards fsx as balanced settings is what all use. Can't get what you want as McJagger sang lololol, but can always get what you need.