Sign in to follow this  
FSXMB

Flickering Mouse and Screen

I have just purchased the MD11 after many years of flying with the many excellent freeware aircraft on offer. I decided this year to take my flight sim experience to another level and started to purchase add-ons for FSX. The MD11 is my newest recruit as to say, and is my first PMDG product. At first glance, I am impressed with the attention to detail as I am with my other add-ons for FSX.

However, I am unable to fly the MD11, the screen flickers while the aircraft initialises but this settles after it's completed its countdown but I take a massive hit to my FPS, around -20. The mouse cursor also flickers at a very fast rate, but the mouse flickering continues after the initialisation and that it makes it impossible to to accurately manipulate the knobs and dials. Obviously the pressing of buttons in the overhead panel and FMC is fine. I run FSX on 3 monitors with Nvidia surround and therefore can only utilise the 3D cockpit but then that is the reason for my setup, and cannot therefore use the 2D cocpit view. This is something that translate over ALL aircraft, FSX default, freeware and payware. I also installed the widescreen panel.cfg which made no difference.

I do not have this issue on any other aircraft that I have (tested them all) or have I seen anything like this on any other aircraft. 

One other issue I am experiencing is when I close FSX down, I get an error message saying MSFS has stopped working...etc. To add, I have NEVER had that error before when closing FSX.

I have done extensive searching on this issue and have found several users with similar, but yet to find a solution, therefore I am regrettably but obligated to report this issue in the hope that PMDG or other users may have came across this and have a solution.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you need any other info then please let me know.

Edit: I have tested this with Nvidia Surround OFF and there is no change with the flickering. All other aircraft are fine and because I went back to a single screen, 2D cockpits were available....as I would have expected.

Edited by MuscleBurn

One week on and an update:

Having read the forum rules, I MUST be careful how I word this but I will be making myself clear in this following statement, as a customer of PMDG.

Firstly, some of my preliminary testing above, albeit was done in a short period of time, is not exactly as I see it now after a week testing.  I will review my findings later but onto the statement.

Coming back to this SUPPORT FORM and finding that my issues have not even been looked at with a polite reply to say that these issues have been noted, this goes also to the ticket I submitted on the 12th, leaves me with bitter and distasteful feelings towards PMDG. 

I have over the past week managed to fix one of the problems listed above, having said that, everytime I thought I had fixed it, it returned and Im not completely sure why. Input from the SUPPORT TEAM may help in me understanding why. All I am prepared to say at this time is that ISSUE 1 has been stable for 48hrs now. No thanks to the SUPPORT TEAM!!!!!

Now to address the issues at hand, 

The flickering screen, strobe like is probably more accurate, I have a son who has epilepsy and everytime I loaded the MD11, I had to ask him to leave the room. As somebody who doesnt suffer epilepsy, I can report that it gives me a splitting headache, especially when I have been constantly loading and re-loading. As I reported above that this flickering caused a drop in framerate, now I cant be sure that there was a connection, yet again all I can say is support would have been useful.

The flickering mouse cursor, yet again thinking that these issues may have been connected, I have to report that Im not sure if they are, as this issue seemed to be intermittent and I could isolate a few things to minimise the frequency of it happening. Yet again if the support team was on board maybe both issues could be fixed and understood. We'll never know.

My findings, as far as I am concerned with the bespoke system that I own are as follows: The normal panel, widescreen and undockable panel.cfg are incompatible with my Nvidia surround. While Im sure there are users out there that have had no problems who utilise NVidia Surround, maybe some input from you guys would also help. If I put my system back to one monitor, I do not and cannot replicate these issues. The read me in the undockable panel folder does mention multi-monitor, just so Im clear, Im working with that panel.cfg when trying to fix my issues.

Now to the solution to what fixed one of my issues. Well I kind of answered it above. A major overhaul of the panel.cfg and by over haul, I mean the resizing of windows etc. I have fixed the undockable panel.cfg which now allows me no only to be able to fly with this aircraft but also to have more than one dock open. Pat on MY Back.

Am I happy??, damn right am not, infact Im seething. I have spent over 50hrs trying to fix this and it wasnt my place to do so alone and its still only 50% fixed. I want this product so this is not going anywhere to asking for a refund, but I will be clear, no matter how much I want your other products, there are others that may not be as good but they do come with support and good support nowadays is priceless. PMDG your lose.

Right now to all who want a PMDG product, think before you buy. I am 50hrs worth of my time out of pocket, lets see what genius in PMDG can come up with a suitable answer to not only this but everything Ive said above and any help for the other issue Im still having. I wont hold my breath.

I am half expecting this post to be deleted because it probably breaches every forum rule, I will disclaim that I have, in my best effort and interest to those concerned to get my point across without prejudice. However this is something that needs to be seen in the public domain and I am prepared to leave it here and to be discussed here BUT if this does get deleted mark my words I will use every media at my disposal to spread the atrocious support that has been lacking.

My final word has to be, when I purchased this product I was not allowed access to the download until the payment had been secured. Now that you have my money, all I can see are hoops in front of me and Im telling you, this man does not jump through anybody's hoops.

Thanks for nothing PMDG, but I can now go and enjoy flying MY MD11, thanks to me, even though it gives me a headache when it initialises. 

I would also like to say that I do sincerely apologise for the sarcastic comments ive made but I cant and wont delete them. I hope that the public will see my despair.

cc. PMDG support

cc. Robert S. Randazzo (If I can find his email, maybe robert you could come and give it to me personally on here)

even though it gives me a headache when it initialises.

Take two aspirin.

I came back to the MD11 tonight after a few months and I also encountered this issue. I can't remember whether I had and resolved it before. Anyway, yes, I do have nvidia surround (3 monitors) but don't run FSX in full screen, just in the central monitor. Usually I get this issue full screen over 3 monitors when an incompatible panel (2d?) is opened. Can't solve it, just need to shut down. The Aerosft a320/21 used to do this before I turned their view system off.

So a little strange but an easy fix for me. Opened the flight with the default aircraft and then loaded the md11. No mouse/screen issue. Gone.

Might be worth a try.

Jason Jackett