Sign in to follow this  
Izzydee84

Uplink CDT After Update

I'm the proud owner of the PMDG 777-200LR and 777-300ERX.  All was working fine until the new update.  After following the installation instructions I began to experience FSX crashing to desktop when I used the "REQUEST" uplink as before to get my flightplan onto the FMC.  I uninstalled the entire thing and reinstalled without the update to troubleshoot the thing and everything was working fine again.  I then made sure that all the steps to install the update were as they should and again the problem occurred.  I am in need of guidance with this issue.  The updates were obtained directly from the PMDG website instead of the Operations Center because of an installer issue. Both the 200LR and 300ER were updated individually to correct the problem.  Now this ...   "CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP"?

You cannot request a flight plan made from the older version of the PMDG 777. PMDG recommends you remove all of your old flight plans in the 777 folder. If you create a new flight plan in the route page and then request performance info, it will work. Just make sure you save the new flight plan.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You cannot request a flight plan made from the older version of the PMDG 777. PMDG recommends you remove all of your old flight plans in the 777 folder. If you create a new flight plan in the route page and then request performance info, it will work. Just make sure you save the new flight plan.

Best regards,

Jim!

I must have missed something or you need to read up on the topic mentioned below and the intro documentation.

Where is PMDG making this recommendation. I am using flight plans made with the 777 RTM version, in the SP1b version, without any problems.

You can even load routes saved from other PMDG planes such as the NGX.

According to this topic:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446633-things-you-should-do-before-installing-777-sp1-read-this/ ,

apart from the old panel states and saved flights, it is not necessary to remove anything.

I had deleted all the flight plans before installation as well as the panel states as suggested by PMDG. The flight plan I made attempt to load was created NEW by using PFPX. Does this mean I need to tweak the specs on the aircraft profile on PFPX or am I no longer able to use that planning software? I will read up on the subject you referenced as well.

I had deleted all the flight plans before installation as well as the panel states as suggested by PMDG. The flight plan I made attempt to load was created NEW by using PFPX. Does this mean I need to tweak the specs on the aircraft profile on PFPX or am I no longer able to use that planning software? I will read up on the subject you referenced as well.

UPDATE: I just read the thread you referenced. All the steps indicated I previously did when doing a fresh install to troubleshoot the problem. Everything had updated fine except that when just clicking on the "REQUEST" uplink it immediately crashed. Previously, before the update I was able to click on it and wheather or not there were flight plans in the 777 folder it would show the contents of the folder without glitches. Now it won't even open the folder. It simply crashes just by the click of my mouse on the uplink. I apologize for not clarifying earlier.

Israel!

I am sorry I was more addressing Jim, than trying to help you, and I have only read the first post in that tread by Ryan, and it worked for me.

I am not using any flight planning software to export flight plans to the 777, but enter each plan in the CDU by hand and save them.

I use FSC for flight planing and moving map. Finding flight plans on the net, enter them in FSC and checking them before manual entering and saving them in the 777 CDU. 

Doing it this way, I have not had any problems loading any flight plans saved before the SP's or from other PMDG planes into the 777 SP1b.

Sorry for not be of more help to you.

Thanks for help! I quite understand. I don't seem to have any problems with recalling the flight plan by entering the Fula name, nor when requesting the wind and decent forecast. It appears to be isolated (at least for me) to requesting the flight plan only. Planning and entering the raw data into the FMC is fine too. Everything else works as it should. But, my concern is that I have a paid subscription with PFPX and would like to get my money's worth using it, but if it's not possible due to the new update, I would like to recommend that PMDG look at this issue on their next update. I was really enjoying both the planning software and the airplane.

I must have missed something or you need to read up on the topic mentioned below and the intro documentation.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just finished 18 holes at my favorite golf course and a little out of breath. I have lined out that comment about PMDG recommending deletion of old flight plans in my post above. All I can say is that I read it somewhere as on Sunday (which to me is a long, long time ago), I decided to do a flight using one of my 777 flight plans. I requested the plan in the route page and accepted it. No problem. Then I went to the Performance page and requested performance information be uploaded and it did that but no information came up and the fmc froze up in that I was able to go to other pages in the FMC but could not enter data. Everything else in the VC worked though. I decided to do some searching and searched for PMDG 777 fmc freeze (I think that was the search terms). I saw that this was shown as a problem but was fixed in the latest version. I read somewhere that old flight plans should not be requested. I decided to create a new flight plan and that resulted in no problems whatsoever. I read a lot of posts throughout the day (and nights) and it is very frustrating to me that I cannot find the thread I saw. Perhaps it was in the Intro Guide. I will continue to look but wanted to make this correction now before it got out of hand.

While looking today, the PMDG OPS Center is now telling me I do not have SP1b installed. It was showing as installed on Sunday as I had version 6161 showing in the version page on top. Now it is on the bottom. I reinstalled it. It shows version 6161 on the top again and the product is up-to-date. Well, I just opened up the PMDG Ops Center and it is again saying my product is out of date. What in the heck is going on? I think I'm going to stay with golf....

Apologize for any confusion I may have caused everyone. You won't see me here again! Promise.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for help! I quite understand. I don't seem to have any problems with recalling the flight plan by entering the Fula name, nor when requesting the wind and decent forecast. It appears to be isolated (at least for me) to requesting the flight plan only. Planning and entering the raw data into the FMC is fine too. Everything else works as it should. But, my concern is that I have a paid subscription with PFPX and would like to get my money's worth using it, but if it's not possible due to the new update, I would like to recommend that PMDG look at this issue on their next update. I was really enjoying both the planning software and the airplane.

Israel!

Or maybe it is a PFPX problem and they need to look in to it. Do you include SID and STAR in your PFPX flight plans? That could be your problem.

And if you do not find a solution with PFPX on their forum, or on this forum, submit a ticket to PMDG.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just finished 18 holes at my favorite golf course and a little out of breath. I have lined out that comment about PMDG recommending deletion of old flight plans in my post above. All I can say is that I read it somewhere as on Sunday (which to me is a long, long time ago), I decided to do a flight using one of my 777 flight plans. I requested the plan in the route page and accepted it. No problem. Then I went to the Performance page and requested performance information be uploaded and it did that but no information came up and the fmc froze up in that I was able to go to other pages in the FMC but could not enter data. Everything else in the VC worked though. I decided to do some searching and searched for PMDG 777 fmc freeze (I think that was the search terms). I saw that this was shown as a problem but was fixed in the latest version. I read somewhere that old flight plans should not be requested. I decided to create a new flight plan and that resulted in no problems whatsoever. I read a lot of posts throughout the day (and nights) and it is very frustrating to me that I cannot find the thread I saw. Perhaps it was in the Intro Guide. I will continue to look but wanted to make this correction now before it got out of hand.

While looking today, the PMDG OPS Center is now telling me I do not have SP1b installed. It was showing as installed on Sunday as I had version 6161 showing in the version page on top. Now it is on the bottom. I reinstalled it. It shows version 6161 on the top again and the product is up-to-date. Well, I just opened up the PMDG Ops Center and it is again saying my product is out of date. What in the heck is going on? I think I'm going to stay with golf....

Apologize for any confusion I may have caused everyone. You won't see me here again! Promise.

Best regards,

Jim!

I also recall to have seen somewhere, unfortunately I can not find where, that the updated 777 do not accept old flight plans including SID an STAR. In the real world, flight plans do not include SID and STAR, which is weather dependent. So my flight plans has never been saved including SID and STAR.

I am even able to load 6 years old now outdated flight plans, saved by the MD11, into the 777 SP1B, and processing them. 

Thank you gentlemen for your help.  I am going to check with PFPX and see what they say on the subject.  For the record, I never include the SID and STAR on my flight plan.  I use the ATC assignment for takeoff and select my SID and STAR based on the designated runway for departure.  The irony about this glitch is that I can use the other uplinks (i.e., wind, des forecast) and it works just fine.  It's only the "Request" link for the flight plan.  But, no matter.  I will see what they say.  Thank you all again.

Thank you gentlemen for your help.

I'm back one last time as the innuendo that I was wrong with my comments about this being PMDG's recommendation to remove all old flight plans. It turns out I was right! I finally found the place where PMDG recommended all old flight plans be removed for the 777. It was in the readme file that came with the upgrade! Here's the direct quote:

VERY IMPORTANT: Due to the huge number of changes we made to the 777, we were not able

to maintain backward compatibiltiy with any saved flights. We recommend that you delete

all of your 777 saved flights and panel state files in order to prevent accidentally

loading one of them.

It was for this reason I provided the advice and assistance to the Israel who was having CTD's as I was getting them too (until I read the readme that came with the product).

I am very upset that I was called out as being wrong (at least Israel saw that I was right). There are a lot of manhours spent trying to help others and it's very difficult to have to prove every statement I make. I spent a lot more manhours just trying to find where I saw the quote as it is very disturbing to me to be told I'm wrong. I am surely wrong on occasion but the important thing is that I'm trying to help fellow flight simmers just like many others here on PMDG and AVSIM. Now, where's that other thread where Soeren stated "You are wrong!!!"?

Submit News to AVSIM

I'm back one last time as the innuendo that I was wrong with my comments about this being PMDG's recommendation to remove all old flight plans. It turns out I was right! I finally found the place where PMDG recommended all old flight plans be removed for the 777. It was in the readme file that came with the upgrade! Here's the direct quote:

VERY IMPORTANT: Due to the huge number of changes we made to the 777, we were not able

to maintain backward compatibiltiy with any saved flights. We recommend that you delete

all of your 777 saved flights and panel state files in order to prevent accidentally

loading one of them.

It was for this reason I provided the advice and assistance to the Israel who was having CTD's as I was getting them too (until I read the readme that came with the product).

I am very upset that I was called out as being wrong (at least Israel saw that I was right). There are a lot of manhours spent trying to help others and it's very difficult to have to prove every statement I make. I spent a lot more manhours just trying to find where I saw the quote as it is very disturbing to me to be told I'm wrong. I am surely wrong on occasion but the important thing is that I'm trying to help fellow flight simmers just like many others here on PMDG and AVSIM. Now, where's that other thread where Soeren stated "You are wrong!!!"?

Yes Jim, and you are still wrong.

And NOW if you are upset, then I am DOUBLE upset.

PMDG says: We recommend that you delete all of your 777 saved flights and panel state files.

It does not say to delete your saved flight plans.

Saved "Flight plans" and saved "Flights" is NOT and I repeat  NOT the same.

Saved flights you find in "your name/Documents/Flight Simulator X Files" with the extension .FLT, .FSSAV and .WX.

Panel states you find in "FSX/PMDG/PMDG777X/PanelState" with the extension .fmc and .sav. and possibly also some other files from saved flights.

Saved flight plans you find in "FSX/PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS" with the extension .rte.

Apples and pears are not the same.

By the way, the Introduction doc., ver. 01AUG14 SP1b, FMC SAVED FLIGHT PLAN CHANGES AND COMPANY DATALINK ADDITIONS, page 157 - 164 is a good read.

RTFM.

Where did it say that it was saved flights in the Documents/Flight Simulator X Files? There is a flightplan folder in the PMDG folder that is read by the PMDG 777 and PMDG 737 FMC's (i.e., KLAXKSFO001). Those were the flight plans that were causing me the problems as they were made before the latest release.

RTFM.

I have read the 777 Intro Guide several times. When you state "RTFM" that's trolling and I will not tolerate trolling in these forums. Consider yourself warned.

Submit News to AVSIM

Where did it say that it was saved flights in the Documents/Flight Simulator X Files? There is a flightplan folder in the PMDG folder that is read by the PMDG 777 and PMDG 737 FMC's (i.e., KLAXKSFO001). Those were the flight plans that were causing me the problems as they were made before the latest release.

Jim!

And where did it say to delete the "Flight Plans" in the FLIGHTPLANS folder.

Still, "Flights" and "Flight Plans" are not the same.

To delete the "flight plans" in the FLIGHTPLANS folder sorted your problems, but that is great you and can definitely help others.

But from there and to say that flight plans from before SP1 generally is bad, is an other thing.

As I have stated in post #8, I am loading, processing and flying "Flight Plans" from the 777 RTM, the NGX and the MD11, with the 777 SP1b.

So something must have been different in your "Flight Plans"

Maybe this from the Introduction.pdf page 143

=Quote=

External route export programs:

Flight plan .rte files created with external flight planning programs or websites will have the runways, SIDs, STARs and approaches contained within them stripped when importing into the FMC, resulting in just the enroute portion being entered. Routes saved with the FMC itself will still retain these items.

This was done because these programs in many cases insert nonsensical terminal procedure data that will either crash the FMC or cause general weirdness in the route. In addition, COROUTES do not contain runways and terminal procedures in real life because they often change with the prevailing winds and the day’s departure routing. The runways, SIDs, STARs and approaches are manually entered by the crew when assigned by ATC even if a COROUTE was used for the enroute portion of the flight.

=UnQuote=

Could this have been your real problem?

I have read the 777 Intro Guide several times.

Well, so do I.

When you state "RTFM" that's trolling and I will not tolerate trolling in these forums. Consider yourself warned.

So now I have got a warning. For trolling!!! No!!! But when I see wrong information, I will and am reacting.

Well, my problem is fixed by deleting all the flight plans from my PMDG/Flightplan folder. I'll let others decided how they want to fix their freezes/CTD's.

So now I have got a warning. For trolling!!! No!!! But when I see wrong information, I will and am reacting.

No one likes to be told to 'RTFM' and that includes me. It is a form of trolling to get someone's reaction and it can be used on other websites but not here on AVSIM. Also, telling someone, "You are wrong!!!!" is inappropriate too. We do not condone trolling or inciting our membership here. You did well by referring me (and others) to certain pages in the Intro Guide (as I refer members to the AVSIM CTD Guide or AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide) and that was good forum etiquette. Members appreciate that. You have been a member here at AVSIM just as long as me and we should work together to help others requiring our expertise and not create a hostile or unfriendly place to visit. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM