Sign in to follow this  
Guest anthonye

What are the best replacement water textures?

I have done a fresh instal of Fs9 on a new PC and am trying to decide which replacement water textures to instal now. Can anybody recommend good freeware textures covering the world that are not complicated to instal?Thanks!JS

Just d/l vater.zip.Looks totally fantastic jpeg, hope it looks incredible on my LCDs !Thanks, mate!JS

I recommend the textures for the water by Ed Truthan, they look more realistic to me, then add either vater.zip or other environment maps. The environment maps are what give you the wonderful colors for the reflections and also the patterns seen with that. Try Ed's textures with the defualts first though. There are many variations and if you search for 'water textures" in the scenery library you will find them all.Hornit

Bill Lyons has one as well. I saw the link over at Dreamfleet's general aviation forum under the following topic. You'll love the screen shots!The reply I got over there... The water textures I use are from Bill Lyons:-Revised Water Reflection Replacement Textures for Fs2004 from the Golden Eagles Squadron.The filename is "fs9wat2a.zip"http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...sg_id=642&page=Best regards, moss1

Guest allcott

watertex.zip by AFS-DesignOver at Flightsim, I think. I use these in preference to the payware FS Water package.Allcott

Guest anthonye

I bought the Flight1 textures when they were released months back, no support at all on them from the author, or on their forum.Go for free onesAnthony....UK

Guest aca_dia

Been trying to find that file. It appears to be gone from flightsim.com as well. Anyone know another source?

Howdy,Currently I use a combination of three packages, installed in the order listed: 1. Kevin Rangel's morewatr.zip package, which is a compilation of textures by Lynn and Bill Lyons, Ed Truthan, and others. It's available at Avsim 2. Vilk's Water (Vater.zip), available at http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?op...(Vilk's_Water) or in the FSFreeware file library 3. new_waves3.zip (Avsim) by Daniel Buechter, though only the "OceanHeightField.bmp" in the texture subfolder In general, it's a good idea to first make a backup of all the default files involved, then add new folders inside the SceneryWorldtexture with descriptive names for each author. That way you keep a copy of both the default textures and each replacement package and you can overwrite the textures in SceneryWorldtexture as desired and experiment with different combinations. Cheers, Holger

Hi There,Almost a year ago I translated for the dutch community the following article on Avsim: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIt gave recommendations using:1. Oceansfx.zip Johan de Vries en Ed Truthan www.avsim.com 2. Oceanstx.zip Johan de Vries en Ed Truthan www.avsim.com 3. Ofx20sa.zip Johan de Vries en Ed Truthan www.avsim.com 4. Fs9wat2a.zip Bill Lyon Je hebt hier alleen de InstlWat2.zip nodig www.avsim.com 5. New_waves3.zip Daniel Buechter Niet de dxt versie! De niet-dxt versie ziet er beter uit, alhoewel deze bestanden groter zijn en impakt kunnen hebben op de fps www.avsim.com However, we are now one year further ahead. And I would like to know whether this has been outdated and we should go for the recommendations in this mail conversation. Thanks in advance!Regards, Ferry(BTW: My article in Dutch: http://www.spaanlo.nl/cms/index.php?module...wpage&pageid=7)