Sign in to follow this  
koala63

How to use DES FORECAST properly ?

Hello guys :)

Im reading a lot of things about the DES forecast page, it's a very précise descent adjusting speed and im scared to configure it without error...

I make a simply example, in this case why DES forecast is configuring like that? assuming im doing a short fly with a CI to 320 (

9000   12000   18000   24000  30000  34000

3116+11 3112+05 2615-08 2917-18 340933 361644

Following the Kyle's vidéo, but im little noob in english, in understand better when it is writen  B) 

Following the Kyle's vidéo, but im little noob in english, in understand better when it is writen   

Thanks for watching.  The main point is to provide wind data to the FMS so that it can calculate a better descent profile, or path.  Select altitudes where the wind differs drastically in heading or speed (example: a headwind at one altitude and a tailwind at another - this is rare, but information that it should know).  Usually, the wind is pretty similar at the altitudes (with lower wind at lower altitudes), so any altitudes will do.

The wind format is HHSS+/-TT (and the temp is assumed negative above FL240, which is why the last two don't show it a - symbol), where HH is heading, SS is speed, and TT is temp.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok it appear more easy now :)

The main point is to provide wind data to the FMS so that it can calculate a better descent profile, or path

According to the descent geometry, im wrong ?

One question remind, what i have to enter on the right-top of the DES forecast page  ? FL/-TT ?

Thanks for watching

Nothing, it's a pleasure to see a youtube channel with a lot of explanation and operating flight détails :)

One question remind, what i have to enter on the right-top of the DES forecast page  ? FL/-TT ?

EDIT:  Didn't understand what you were saying earlier.  Got it now.

The top right field TAI ON ALT is simply an altitude where you plan to start using anti-ice.  Remember that this is for both cold air and visible moisture.  It doesn't ask for when you'll turn it off because when you turn it off, the flight path can return to its most optimal solution (in other words, a better descent path than with TAI on).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks a lot Kyle, your help is very appreciated for the simmers like me !  B)

One additional point to add, if you are using the wind download feature (from ASN or another source), you should probably update the forecast near the TOD, particularly if it is a very long flight because chances are the DES winds have changed since your first loaded them at the start of the flight.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would like to add to the above posts to say that the reason you can turn on anti-ice at a given level is because with it on, the engines have to set descent idle at a higher level. This then, in turn, effects the descent profile.

HTH

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

One additional point to add, if you are using the wind download feature (from ASN or another source), you should probably update the forecast near the TOD, particularly if it is a very long flight because chances are the DES winds have changed since your first loaded them at the start of the flight.

If you setup ASN to download in interval i guess this is not needed ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

If you setup ASN to download in interval i guess this is not needed ?

Michael Moe

I am not so sure about that.  ASN will update the weather every 15 minutes but you still need to update the FMC.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi,

Can anyone provide the link to Kyle's video ? Or if Kyle could provide the link

Thanks

Jason

Jason Thompson

Hi, following the Kyle's explanations of DES forecast page i performed a smooth approach to LEBL (Barcelona) this afternoon, very happy  :rolleyes:

@ Jay907uk

You have his channel youtube on the link below his post.

Thanks for that. I'd forgot about his video link on his signature lol.

haha - it's not like I made it too incredibly obvious.  The text is pretty small.  Glad someone was lookin' out though.

Kyle Rodgers