Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Honolulu airport PHHI elevated or not?

While testing P3Dv2.3 today, I came across an airport that puzzled me a bit. Honolulu airport PHHI.

The terrain it's on isnt level and on one side the airport is at even height with the rest of the scenery and on the other side it's elevated.

As I tell it it sounds like this is how it's supposed to, but the vertical textures on the elevated side look like those from airports that are faulty elevated and I'm not sure how to interpret these textures...

Can someone confirm if this is the way it's supposed to be, or if this is a faulty elevation that needs correction?

Cheers!

Maarten

Maarten,,

Is this what you see?

PHHI-Hawaii-2_zpsc6888a1f.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Yes, it's not too clear on the small picture, but it s a picture of the real airport? Textures seem to look too good to be true. :P

But I see the airport is laying on a sort of elevated plateau, so what I see in my sim is as it should be, thanks. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

I've been to Wheeler and it does have some drop-offs into gullies on the southern and western sides.  That doesn't mean the textures are right in Prepar3d, though... I'll have to go take a look.

"Yes, it's not too clear on the small picture"

Click on the picture and see if it looks bigger-better?

Best Regards,

I did click on it and it takes me to Photobucket and if I click on it there it goes to the next/previous picture... :)

Cheers!

Maarten

Ok, thanks for checking.

I will try to make them a little larger.

Best Regards,

Back home now and computer done loading, so I can post a picture of what it looks like.

2014-8-13_16-29-36-456_zpsa0559704.png

This will be about south-west of the airport, indeed.

Al the vertical textures around look like sand and stone, but these are those 'mangled' textures you get with faulty elevation. That's what made me wonder.

Cheers!

Maarten

My airport looks flat.

Do you have custom mesh?

SW-PHHI_zpsf6347b25.jpg

Best Regards,

Pilot FSG2010 for FTX (with FTX Global/Vector).

I already manually changed PHHI with Vector's AEC, but that didnt change anything.

Cheers!

Maarten

Pilot FSG2010 for FTX (with FTX Global/Vector).

I already manually changed PHHI with Vector's AEC, but that didnt change anything.

That is what I thought you might have.

I have not purchased the global mesh (yet) because I did not like the "plateau" looking airports.

I thought that FSG2010 came with a "flattening" tool to fix that terrain issue?

If so, and if you get it working I may purchase the mesh ...

Best Regards,

I'll have a look and let you know, thanks for the tip. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

In the manual they explain how to correct faulty elevations and they mention a program called Airport Facilitator X, of which a demo is included with the boxed version.

It looks like this is an older manual, it doesnt mention anything about the download version or a version for FTX and with the download I havent seen a AFX demo.

I read that there are also other programs that can do this and I found AFX can be purchased from Flight1 for $30.

I dont have time tonight, but this week I'll have a look at what programs are available and see how it works. If I know more I'll post it here.

Cheers!

Maarten

The flatten tool is free .. with specific purchases ..as far as I knew .

Best Regards,