Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Running fsx in what compatibility mode

When you right click fsx.exe and you can change the compatibility mode what do i use if i'm on OS7? Its at vista for default but will i change this to OS7?

Vernon Howells

In order to clarify : What operation system do you have on your PC,which mainly is in use for FSX ?

When you right click fsx.exe and you can change the compatibility mode what do i use if i'm on OS7? Its at vista for default but will i change this to OS7?

If you are running FSX under Win7, then your compatibility mode box should be unticked.   This feature is provided for those who have problems running FSX under Win7 or another OS, in which case you can change the setting to the one that FSX ran well on.

Most simmers won't need to touch this feature, but I remember I had trouble starting FSX in Win7.   It would go to the splash screen and then a few seconds later it would close with an error message.   Only after several attempts, was I able to start FSX.   However, when I changed the compatibility setting to WinXP or Vista, then I had no problems in starting/running FSX.

The downside (which I noticed a couple of years later and did not relate it to this compatibility setting at the time) was that when I came on final approach to the runway, particularly on short final, I got very bad stutters and frames would drop from 30 to under 12.   Only by accident, did I come across my earlier compatibility setting and thought to untick the box.   The stutters and frame rate drop disappeared, but the starting problem with FSX resurfaced (and it does to this day).   So it's a Catch 22!   I mention this in case you are in such a position or suddenly find yourself so.

Chris

Hi i'm using windows 7

I'm just curious if i should change this to windows 7 and see how things go?

Vernon Howells

Win 7 users should not need to run under any mode but default Win 7 mode.

i have ticked ticked the box and selected windows 7 is that correct? it was unticked as default...

Vernon Howells

i have ticked ticked the box and selected windows 7 is that correct? it was unticked as default...

No, leave it unchecked. Running in compatibility modes can cause issues with some addons.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've never seen/read what the "compatibility mode" switches actually do.  They never fixed anything for me.

scott s.

Yeah, do not change 'compatibility' on anything unless it needs it specifically, otherwise the program may actually not work correctly at all.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com