Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

2.3 - P3D Finally Ready for the Big Time

Version 2.3 seems to improve FPS considerably for me in areas where I was formerly unable to fly (with the same graphic settings). My lack of certainty at this point is only because I cannot yet run ASN with v.2.3, so I'm unable to make an exact comparison until ASN has been updated (which will hopefully be soon). 

Other than not yet being able to use ASN and the fact that Orbx's windsocks still don't work with P3D, I'm loving this update. :)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I leave HT on then again I have water cooling loop

and an i7-4790K @ 4.7G / 16G RAM / 4G VRAM

I am of the impression that HT with 252 ( threads: 00.11.11.11 ) helps reduce texture loading stutters

I haven't tried any AF mask tweak in the .cfg at all yet. I've tried HT both ways and either way frames are hanging right up against the lock (33 so far), lol. Thanks Dylan, I did see that post from Zach (after seeing your post here yesterday about it). My conclusion so far is something like "well, anything and everything seems to work OK so let's just go fly", lol. I still have a ton of stuff to get back into the sim, it'll probably take me a while. Those screens from NZ that someone posted yesterday have changed my priorities slightly and now I'm all about getting NZ going in P3D2!

Oh BTW, I've been using AS Evo in P3D2 and it wasn't too impressive prior to v2.3 but I'm now getting some killer cloud depictions. I used up my demo time of ASN 3 months ago and always planned to actually purchase it one day soon but now I'm having second thoughts.

When you say amazing  performance are you talking no stutters? I have an Intel I7x64 3500 o/c 4200 with a Nvidia 650 and get mini-stutters. I would like to hear your response.

Thanks!

That's the very reason why I uninstalled 2.2. So does 2.3 still have mini stutters?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have Opus 3.50 running in P3D v2.3 without FSUIPC and it looks superb.

I haven't tried OPUS yet, but I am also very satisfied with 2.3, performance have improved, I did a full re-install, running @ KPDX with PNW with  mid to high settings, no CTD, no OOM .. pure joy!

John

When you say amazing  performance are you talking no stutters? I have an Intel I7x64 3500 o/c 4200 with a Nvidia 650 and get mini-stutters. I would like to hear your response.

Thanks!

Not sure if you were responding to my use of the word amazing, but for what its worth, I was referring to the visual quality

I have a 4G GPU so I don't get as meany stutters maybe for that reason as often I see the usage going to 3.5G

and sometimes 4.1G and that's all video RAM only

but I use a ultra HD monitor so I am at 3840 x 2160 resolution , and to top it off, I have a DELL 24" open at the same time for Pilot2ATC and charts

I see P3D total usage usually always topping 4.5G with 5.5G max of my 8 or 9 used, respectively,  from 16G (2x8;2400) phys RAM

which seems contrary to the 4G limit so that might be due to UT2, OPUS, EZCA etc.. that all shut down along with P3D

as I have these included in my exe.htm file

So if your card wants to use that much and cannot, it has to reallocate, and stutter while doing so (??)

I am also of the opinion that there are less stutters in Windows 8.1 but maybe that's because my w7 was an ancient story of piled higher and deeper

AT LAAAST . I have been waiting for this moment since P3DV2 got released . this means i can make fsx the PMDG simulator :P . and the rest of the planes i fly will definitely be installed on P3D . cheers

What's I absolutely love is no more infinite loop of tweak, fly, tweak, fly, config, tweak, fly, to analyze for maximum performance to looks.  no config changes, no NI control panel changes, and it just works blazingly fast.  It looks amazing too, faster performance + better graphics at the same time!  I was never able to jack up clouds or cloud shadows but now I can with minimal impact and it just adds to the immersion...couldn't be happier :)

Once ASN and Orbx are confirmed compatible, with installers, I will probably take the plunge. I'll have to buy a new license for my A2A 172 and Cherokee, but I'm fine with that.

Is the main install comparable in size (GB) to FSX+Acceleration?

I think it's 10.6 Gb and you can either download it all in one chunk or broken up into ~1 Gb parts that assemble themselves when you run the installer. I'm still using the initial v2.0 full release and I've just applied each patch in turn (3 in total) which has saved me a lot of nearly impossible (and expensive) downloading. I did a complete uninstall/reinstall for this patch, no problems that I've seen yet.

Jim

I think it's 10.6 Gb and you can either download it all in one chunk or broken up into ~1 Gb parts that assemble themselves when you run the installer.

Thanks Jim

I got opus working with the 3.5 release thanks

Performance is also better for me as well - running cloud shadows / ultra water with decent fps now.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Remember folks, performance is definitely improved in V2.3, but we are working with much lower AA...try settings 4SGSS in NI and watch your performance drop to the floor. I would really like to get rid of these jaggies!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Some more info from LM on HyperThreading Jim:

We don't elevate our process priority, so Prepar3D won't choke other applications for processing resources. I would be very surprised if our changes to the default affinity mask caused any trouble in that respect Mr. Bob. Honestly, I would recommend giving the default configuration a good thorough chance, because we changed more than just the affinity mask to improve processor utilization. Our internal work scheduling should allow hyper threaded processors to realize improved paging performance without overloading the first physical core and lowering the frame-rate.

Zach Heylmun

Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team

Good luck dialling in that sweet spot.

I believe them!  I am running about 7 FPS more over and above v2.2 .  I'm usually at 30ish...but have been staying around 35-37 FPS.   All while flying very, very smoothly.  If you can install it, you won't be sorry for the time spent....that is for sure!

Version 2.3 not working out for me clean install of operating system and P3d,the graphics inside cockpit meaning instrument panel are Horrendous,am using N vidia EVGA 760 2gb,I7 3.4,and 8gb of ram,some people say use NI some say no,any pointers will be greatfully received,seems bit blurry also,christ knows whats happening...........Thanx for listening