Sign in to follow this  

Ultimate Traffic 2 in P3D V2.3 ?

As far as I know there are no AI Traffic products that "officially" support P3D V2.x ... I think I have all the FSX AI Traffic products, but I thought I'd try to get UT2 working in P3D V2.3 (it's the last missing link).  I realize UT2 is EOL with no future development and does NOT support P3D V2.x, but I like some of the aspects of this AI Traffic product so I'm working thru trying to make it work in P3D V2.3.

I don't use EMT ... nothing against EMT - it's a great tool and has helped many get compatibility with various FSX only products -- it's just a matter of I need to know exactly how to get products to work in P3D V2.x (for obvious reasons) and EMT masks that from me (understandable as it's purpose is to make life easier for end users).

So far I've had success doing this manually (I see the UT2 aircraft, flight plans seems to work but I need to confirm) but there are some lingering issues.  

The process so far:

1.  Copy Prepar3d.exe and rename to FSX.exe

2.  Add registry key for FSX location that points to P3D - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 – value = V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2

3.  Edit the Prepar3D.cfg and add under:
        [Main]
        SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

4.  Edit the EXE.XML and add:

<!-- Unlimited Traffic 2 -->
  <Launch.Addon>
     <Disabled>False</Disabled>
     <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
     <Name>UT2</Name>
     <Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
     <NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
  </Launch.Addon>

I've researched what others have done to get this to work, but this comment didn't make much sense to me:

...must also change the dll.xml to point to P3D versions of traffictoolbox.dll and visualfxtool.dll (leave object_placement.dll pointing to fsx version)...

DLL.XML doesn't typically reference DLLs that are part of the product (P3D) ... is it suggesting I add something like this to my DLL.XML?

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic ToolBox</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\TrafficToolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual FX Tool</Name>
<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

Is this correct?

Here are the errors I get when I start Ultimate Traffic 2 stand alone app:

619e608ad217a5f58152bcfb480a5af1.jpg

c4320b68a90347143b669e0e32dfaa66.jpg

And when I go to Database Management this is all I see GA ... I assume I should be seeing more than this?

972f8dfb1aeeadd26a5fda040c1d6e2c.jpg

Since I know folks have got this working in P3D V2.x, thought I'd ask.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

I have UT2 running under P3D2.2. I installed it using the EMT, I think there was a little editing required afterwards for the exe.xml entry as given above, but that was it. I don't have any UT2 related dll.xml entry. Maybe I am missing something, but the basic functions I use (including in-game settings for fps limiting etc.) are working fine. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Sorry no. MyTraffic Pro 5.4 runs fine with P3d 2.3 so I haven't bothered to look at trying any of other AI traffic add ons. Installation of MyT is a bit tricky also in P3d 2.x and some of the utilities don't work because they can't find the proper folders. Although it isn't officially supported yet for P3d 2.x, Burkhard (the author) has updated over 600 of the enhanced MyT airports to comply with P3d's more strict adherence to BGL code checking.

As an aside, the freeware AIController app:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/447974-ai-controller-sid-jet-route-star-and-final-approach-beta/

does a great job of making AI traffic comply with SIDs and STARs. It runs fine with P3d 2.3. I was impressed, when I ran it for KJFK and watched all the commercial flights follow the proper takeoff and landing patterns. Enough "hijacking" of your thread by me and I hope someone can help you out with UT.

Rob

"must also change the dll.xml to point to P3D versions of traffictoolbox.dll and visualfxtool.dll (leave object_placement.dll pointing to fsx version)..."

This quote looks to me that they are giving some direction with FSX also installed which does not help you as you dont - just a thought

Rich Sennett

You dont need to edit the dll file, I dont know what that post is talking about (I found it too when I was searching how to do this) I learned the hard way with 2.2. I used the migration tool also with 2.2 and had it running fine with only the .cfg and .exe entry. You guys are way more knowledgeable than I am at this stuff so I cant offer much help. I do know id get that same error if I didnt have the "virtual fsx" enabled with EMT while trying to access UT2 menus.

I dont think that should be in the exe.

You dont need to edit the dll file, I dont know what that post is talking about (I found it too when I was searching how to do this) I learned the hard way with 2.2. I used the migration tool also with 2.2 and had it running fine with only the .cfg and .exe entry. You guys are way more knowledgeable than I am at this stuff so I cant offer much help. I do know id get that same error if I didnt have the "virtual fsx" enabled with EMT while trying to access UT2 menus.

I dont think that should be in the exe.

We all know the tool works great - but Rob wants to get it running without the help of a tool

Rich Sennett

I dont bother with the two toolbox dll entries just the .exe  and it works fine as long as UT2 was installed into the P3DV23 folder and an fsx.exe is there (fsx.exe can just be copied from fsx folder)

I don't have FSX installed any longer. However, I had UT2 working (in P3D2 only) when I had FSX installed some time ago.

After de-installing FSX, I ran into error messages with UT2 (dfferent from yours, though). I de-installed and re-installed UT2 then. If memory serves me right, I had to create a fake FSX config directory under

C:\Users\(my profile)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

I just copied over all the contents from the corresponding Prepar3d2 directory and copied the prepar3d.cfg to fsx.cfg. Somehow UT2 seems to look for this directory, even if (maybe) not actively using it.

If you don't have FSX installed this might be worth trying.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

UT2 works fine for me in 2.3, however I did originally install it by using the EMT (the crucial point is to have the fsx.exe in your Prepar3d folder, I think).

As far as I can see, the only required entries are the ones in the exe.xml to launch the UT2services.exe, and the SimObjectPaths entry in the Prepar3d.cfg. I have deleted all my config files prior to updating to 2.3 (thanks for your instructions Rob!) and after inserting these two it's working like a charm. No changes required in the DLL.xml.

Cheers!

Steve

As an aside, the freeware AIController app:

Thank you, will check that out.

If memory serves me right, I had to create a fake FSX config directory under

I just copied over all the contents from the corresponding Prepar3d2 directory and copied the prepar3d.cfg to fsx.cfg. Somehow UT2 seems to look for this directory, even if (maybe) not actively using it.

Thank you!  This was the fix ... noted in my "getting very long" P3D V2.x Notes and Procedure document.

Just to be clear, I got the UT2 AI aircraft (even the jetways) are all working in P3D V2.3 ... it was just those errors above in the stand alone app.  All good now, no need for EMT.

Like I said, I'm not against EMT at all -- it's a great tool.  It's just that I need to know exactly what's going on so in the future when I'm testing v2.4 I'll be aware of any possible issues and figure out how to resolve.

No DLL.XML entries needed.  Thanks for everyone's help input.

Cheers, Rob.

Great that you've solved it Rob.

Do you mind running over my precis of the procedure gleaned from this thread, and advising if I've misunderstood anything?

From your original post:

1.  Copy Prepar3d.exe and rename to FSX.exe

2.  Add registry key for FSX location that points to P3D - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 – value = V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v2

3.  Edit the Prepar3D.cfg and add under:

[Main]

SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>UT2</Name>

<Path>V:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>

<NewConsole>True</NewConsole>

</Launch.Addon>

From subsequent posts (thanks Michael)

Create a fake FSX config directory under:

Copy over all the contents from the corresponding Prepar3d2 directory and copy the prepar3d.cfg to fsx.cfg

Does that sound right?

Thanks to all

Eugene

Yes, that's correct.  Once P3D v2.3 fires up, it may take a few seconds for the AI to appear.  Also, if your at an airport and do any changes to your display setting the AI will do the gate shuffle when you return.

Cheers, Rob.

Did they patch the Lod problem with the older 2002 ai models ?? the js31 and js41 for example ?

14ppkc-6.png