Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Pilot2ATC

Version 1.4 Preview Released

Thanks John and Richard for your replies to Greg.

I would only add that if you want to practice approaches and landing, you can takeoff and ask tower to remain in the pattern, or for IFR approaches, request vectors to ILS or visual straight-ins or request VOR approaches.  All without filing a flight plan.  If you do file an IFR flight plan, then that lets Approach control and/or tower have a "default" approach type.  Even then, if you want a different approach type, you can request it.

The Grammar Helper window lists all the requests and readback supported for each controller, so look at the Tower and you'll see how to make these requests.

Hope you enjoy it!

Dave

I would only add that if you want to practice approaches and landing, you can takeoff and ask tower to remain in the pattern, or for IFR approaches, request vectors to ILS or visual straight-ins or request VOR approaches. All without filing a flight plan. If you do file an IFR flight plan, then that lets Approach control and/or tower have a "default" approach type. Even then, if you want a different approach type, you can request it.

The Grammar Helper window lists all the requests and readback supported for each controller, so look at the Tower and you'll see how to make these requests.

Thanks David,

Can you get a touch & go for another approach?  Do you just do a touch and go and climb back out and ask the approach controller for another approach?  I clearly know very little about what your software does or how it handles such things and, perhaps, that's where my disconnect is. 

Gregg

EDIT:  To clarify, normally, when a pilot is going to request practice instrument approaches they'll call up approach (if in the air) and ask for practice approaches and at that time or later they'll ask for a touch and go to another approach.  It doesn't have to work that way in your software but, if you could just briefly explain how it goes, that'd be great. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes.  You can ask Tower for a Touch and Go (or Option)  or you can ask for a Full-Stop landing when you have tired yourself out.

You can then ask to change frequency to Approach and request vectors for another approach from them, or at your option (the lazy way) just ask tower for vectors to the approach. 

The landing option is true of both VFR Pattern practice and IFR Approach practice scenarios.

Dave

Yes. You can ask Tower for a Touch and Go (or Option) or you can ask for a Full-Stop landing when you have tired yourself out.

You can then ask to change frequency to Approach and request vectors for another approach from them, or at your option (the lazy way) just ask tower for vectors to the approach.

The landing option is true of both VFR Pattern practice and IFR Approach practice scenarios.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I'll check out your videos and see what it looks like.  Does it add anything to FSX or is it just standalone? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Pilot2ATC is standalone.  You just need to have FSUIPC running for FSX or P3D.  For X-Plane, you need to install XPUIPC.

Dave