Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Complicated Approaches and Default GPS

Should the NOTAMS option always work for difficult approaches that have high terrian or require an offset to get to the runway?  Because since the default GPS has it's limitations and it's IAPs are out of date, I won't be able to fly approaches that require holding patterns or are an offset.   So in this case should I always use NOTAMS so I can deviate instructions if necessary?  I just did a flight today from KSFO to PHOG and all went well.  I flew the CAMPS arrival into PHOg and requested IAP. The crossing restriction was 12000 and RC was going to vector me into a downwind.  But I flew the STAR to CAMPS and and them turned final to the FAF and had a successful landing.  Since the arrival and IAP was easy, I included all the points in the plan and the FAF.  But if I wanted vectors, would it look like it would be OK if I had NOTAMS?  Thanks for the help.

If you are landing on RWY 2 IAP would be fine as no vectors are required. Notice CAMPS3 tales right to the inbound LOC. You can turn on NOTAMS and IAP to land on RWY 20 as it will require a circle to land. Looking at the ILS for RWY2 you do have a five mile horiziontal displacement parallel downwind track clear of high terrain to its right you can use for landing 20. You can therefore take vectors if you wish but use NOTAMS for 20.

Flying a holding pattern is not difficult on AP using the heading control.

Not knowing the landing runway in use does create a problem.

You can put all the waypoints in your plan so they show up on the GPS (the names and coordinates are pulled from the plan on the GPS display).

A good AIRAC updatable planner will have the procedures in it to get all of the procedure waypoints into the .pln file. They should then show up on the default GPS which I never used but add-on GPSs do take data from flight plans and I think the default does as well.

So in this case you could use the waypoints from the CAMPS3 and RWY2 approach which will give you the holding point for manual driving and also to break out for a circle to land for 20 basically a right downwind to 2.

Note that the LOC 20 approach is a back course meaning reverse sensing on the LOC tracking. Some GA APs have that BC feature to avoid that but for the most part larger aircraft do not.

If  you compare the minimums between ILS2 and LOC20 you'll see a big difference.

As one of our real world ATC advisers just sent a phrase "Now that I fly through the valley of the localizer . . . "

Notice that within the SE you do have a 5 mile low object corridor and also the RWY 20 approach is over water so you have plenty of maneuvering room.

If you are landing on RWY 2 IAP would be fine as no vectors are required. Notice CAMPS3 tales right to the inbound LOC. You can turn on NOTAMS and IAP to land on RWY 20 as it will require a circle to land. Looking at the ILS for RWY2 you do have a five mile horiziontal displacement parallel downwind track clear of high terrain to its right you can use for landing 20. You can therefore take vectors if you wish but use NOTAMS for 20.

Flying a holding pattern is not difficult on AP using the heading control.

Not knowing the landing runway in use does create a problem.

You can put all the waypoints in your plan so they show up on the GPS (the names and coordinates are pulled from the plan on the GPS display).

A good AIRAC updatable planner will have the procedures in it to get all of the procedure waypoints into the .pln file. They should then show up on the default GPS which I never used but add-on GPSs do take data from flight plans and I think the default does as well.

So in this case you could use the waypoints from the CAMPS3 and RWY2 approach which will give you the holding point for manual driving and also to break out for a circle to land for 20 basically a right downwind to 2.

Note that the LOC 20 approach is a back course meaning reverse sensing on the LOC tracking. Some GA APs have that BC feature to avoid that but for the most part larger aircraft do not.

If  you compare the minimums between ILS2 and LOC20 you'll see a big difference.

As one of our real world ATC advisers just sent a phrase "Now that I fly through the valley of the localizer . . . "

Notice that within the SE you do have a 5 mile low object corridor and also the RWY 20 approach is over water so you have plenty of maneuvering room.

So with the back course, will the horizontal guidance be opposite?  And I noticed on the chart that it said ignore glide slope indicaton, so obliviously you wouldn't follow the glide slope.  Does the default navaid in FSX have that capability for back course?  Also, for GPS or RNAV approaches, will I still be able to follow them with the default GPS?  Should I plug in the points that comprise the approach and follow the chart? Thanks for the reply.

Also, if the RNAV/GPS approach has a holding pattern, will I still be able to do it with the default GPS?  And on RNP approaches, will those be possible with the default GPS?  Thanks for the help.

Yes, horizontal guidance will be opposite as indicated on the instrument display. While it will not affect the display, if you have an AP with a BC function, it will correct for the reverse sense in guiding the aircraft. If it is a back course to the localizer which has a glide slope transmitter, the GS indications will be false.

In FS the back course functions of default airports are always enabled. If especially they have ILS/LOC units that share the same frequency at each end of a runway, you will receive the wrong unit unless you are within two degrees of the extended runway center line. Airport afcad editors such as payware AFX or freeware Airport Design Editor can be used to correct this by editing runway properties.

If you have a flight planner that lets you add the approach waypoints to your plan, the visual display should provide you with guidance. I am not familiar with the default GPS as to its capabilities but I do not think it can do holds of waypoints in the flight plan. It will show (I tested) any waypoints defined in the flight plan with coordinates as usual.

I do have a set of add-on gauges that are AIRAC updatable the have databases of SIDs, STARs, and approaches. Some of these gauges can hold on fixes in the approach or that you specify. They do have a learning curve.

If you do mostly default aircraft or any freeware downloads, you can enhance these by adding these gauges to them making them more like payware aircraft that contain FMCs and more complicated navigation equipment.  I also use a panel design utility that lets me easily insert these gauges. The particular gauge set I use has a site that offers many "retrofit" panel.cfg files for many default and published models down to smaller GA aircraft.

I have a screen capture of one set but there is no longer a way to directly post it to here. If this interests you then send me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send you the image and details.

Yes, horizontal guidance will be opposite as indicated on the instrument display. While it will not affect the display, if you have an AP with a BC function, it will correct for the reverse sense in guiding the aircraft. If it is a back course to the localizer which has a glide slope transmitter, the GS indications will be false.

In FS the back course functions of default airports are always enabled. If especially they have ILS/LOC units that share the same frequency at each end of a runway, you will receive the wrong unit unless you are within two degrees of the extended runway center line. Airport afcad editors such as payware AFX or freeware Airport Design Editor can be used to correct this by editing runway properties.

If you have a flight planner that lets you add the approach waypoints to your plan, the visual display should provide you with guidance. I am not familiar with the default GPS as to its capabilities but I do not think it can do holds of waypoints in the flight plan. It will show (I tested) any waypoints defined in the flight plan with coordinates as usual.

I do have a set of add-on gauges that are AIRAC updatable the have databases of SIDs, STARs, and approaches. Some of these gauges can hold on fixes in the approach or that you specify. They do have a learning curve.

If you do mostly default aircraft or any freeware downloads, you can enhance these by adding these gauges to them making them more like payware aircraft that contain FMCs and more complicated navigation equipment.  I also use a panel design utility that lets me easily insert these gauges. The particular gauge set I use has a site that offers many "retrofit" panel.cfg files for many default and published models down to smaller GA aircraft.

I have a screen capture of one set but there is no longer a way to directly post it to here. If this interests you then send me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send you the image and details.

The default autopilot does not have a back course on it.  Since it doesn't, can the autopilot still be used to fly the backcourse?  As far as the gauges are concerned, I assume these are probably payware.  If they are freeware, I would like to download them.  Thanks and good information.  

I do not recall what aircraft you are flying but some of the default APs do have a BC button so it will do horizontal AP guidance when the AP is coupled to the aircraft controls. A BC has no usable glide slope so the AP will not follow that.

The gauge set I am now using to retrofit non-FMC or GPS aircraft is this payware suite from ISG systems. Of importance the MCU (control units) accept FS9 and FSX (xml) pln formats besides the proprietary ISG format. The MCUs take a bit of learning but they are modeled after the Garmin-XLS and another Garmin MCO,and a Collins MCU. In addition there is a Smith's (Boeing type) FMC/CDU and a similar system for some Airbus models. Free already modified panel.cfg files can be downloaded from the ISGSYS.com site. If you fly one of these models then you do not require a panel editor. I checked the default B744 panel download and it also included the aircraft performance configuration for estimating fuel requirements fort display in the various FMC pages including TOC and TOD markers. Without a performance profile a three degree descent is used as an estimate.

The panel editor I use is FS Panel Studio. It is the first utility I bought when I started simming in FS8 so I could grab gauges and swap among freeware and default aircraft and download and install freeware gauges upgrading aircraft to a more sophisticated navigation system.

In reverse order, here is the purchase site for FS Panel studio (if needed):

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001 at US$25. The download version is preferred as it is easier to install upgrades. It is FSX and FS9 compatible. http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ is the developer site.

Here is the purchase site for the ISG gauges:

http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-integrated-simavionics-group-1-%28isg1%29.phtml

and click on read more for features and gauges list. It is Euro 21. The developer site is:

http://isgsim.com/ with links to the free panel.cfg downloads and support forum. Here is the current panel.cfgs available:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library

and notice a lot of FSX and FS9 default aircraft are in there as well as mods to freeware panel downloads.

A one -off AIRAC upgrade is US$10 from Aerosoft's NavdataPro or Navigraph's FMC suites. For both, one subscription fee covers as many formats as you need for that period so you can future plan if you want. These include the STARs, SIDs, and approaches to get the terminal procedures we are talking about as well as enroute intersections, navaids, and airport and airway lists.

Now comes the conundrum:

AIRAC updates are current. They may not match your FS default scenery particularly navaid frequencies. In the gauges after you get an AIRAC update you can enter all of your waypoints manually and they will fill in. If you use the FS9 or FSX planner the information will be pulled from the plan or you may have to correct a few. The alternative is to invest in an AIRAC updatable flight planner to sync with the gauges.

One popular one is http://www.fscommander.com/ at Euro 40.

I use http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-fsbuild-2.phtml which has a bit more learning curve. If you have an Active Sky payware add-on it will interface with the weather snapshot you activate for weather effects on fuel planning. FSB is also AIRAC updatable. It does not have a moving map. It does export the ISG format (same developer) as well as FSX, FS9, and several proprietary FMC formats such as PMDG.

Both have all of the planners have enroute information and terminal procedures except as it is out side of their purpose probably not the approach information. That is because I believe that approaches (runways) are dynamically assigned and loaded by the intelligent gauge controllers.

My suggestion for now is to use the FSX/FS9 planner. Get the ISG gauge set which will give you the SIDs, STARs, and approaches and then a one-off AIRAC update to match current charts. Then you will not be bound to the outdated procedures of the default GPS. Remember that RC must have the SID and STAR waypoints for the enroute portion to match the gauge waypoints so be sure they are in the .pln file.

Then as your budget allows consider the other recommendations.

There is a freeware FMS somewhere but as to its details I am not aware.

I request again you fill out your AVSIM profile regarding hardware and your sim setup including aircraft you prefer so I and others can make proper suggestions. It saves a lot of guess work.

I do not recall what aircraft you are flying but some of the default APs do have a BC button so it will do horizontal AP guidance when the AP is coupled to the aircraft controls. A BC has no usable glide slope so the AP will not follow that.

The gauge set I am now using to retrofit non-FMC or GPS aircraft is this payware suite from ISG systems. Of importance the MCU (control units) accept FS9 and FSX (xml) pln formats besides the proprietary ISG format. The MCUs take a bit of learning but they are modeled after the Garmin-XLS and another Garmin MCO,and a Collins MCU. In addition there is a Smith's (Boeing type) FMC/CDU and a similar system for some Airbus models. Free already modified panel.cfg files can be downloaded from the ISGSYS.com site. If you fly one of these models then you do not require a panel editor. I checked the default B744 panel download and it also included the aircraft performance configuration for estimating fuel requirements fort display in the various FMC pages including TOC and TOD markers. Without a performance profile a three degree descent is used as an estimate.

The panel editor I use is FS Panel Studio. It is the first utility I bought when I started simming in FS8 so I could grab gauges and swap among freeware and default aircraft and download and install freeware gauges upgrading aircraft to a more sophisticated navigation system.

In reverse order, here is the purchase site for FS Panel studio (if needed):

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001 at US$25. The download version is preferred as it is easier to install upgrades. It is FSX and FS9 compatible. http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ is the developer site.

Here is the purchase site for the ISG gauges:

http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-integrated-simavionics-group-1-%28isg1%29.phtml

and click on read more for features and gauges list. It is Euro 21. The developer site is:

http://isgsim.com/ with links to the free panel.cfg downloads and support forum. Here is the current panel.cfgs available:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library

and notice a lot of FSX and FS9 default aircraft are in there as well as mods to freeware panel downloads.

A one -off AIRAC upgrade is US$10 from Aerosoft's NavdataPro or Navigraph's FMC suites. For both, one subscription fee covers as many formats as you need for that period so you can future plan if you want. These include the STARs, SIDs, and approaches to get the terminal procedures we are talking about as well as enroute intersections, navaids, and airport and airway lists.

Now comes the conundrum:

AIRAC updates are current. They may not match your FS default scenery particularly navaid frequencies. In the gauges after you get an AIRAC update you can enter all of your waypoints manually and they will fill in. If you use the FS9 or FSX planner the information will be pulled from the plan or you may have to correct a few. The alternative is to invest in an AIRAC updatable flight planner to sync with the gauges.

One popular one is http://www.fscommander.com/ at Euro 40.

I use http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-fsbuild-2.phtml which has a bit more learning curve. If you have an Active Sky payware add-on it will interface with the weather snapshot you activate for weather effects on fuel planning. FSB is also AIRAC updatable. It does not have a moving map. It does export the ISG format (same developer) as well as FSX, FS9, and several proprietary FMC formats such as PMDG.

Both have all of the planners have enroute information and terminal procedures except as it is out side of their purpose probably not the approach information. That is because I believe that approaches (runways) are dynamically assigned and loaded by the intelligent gauge controllers.

My suggestion for now is to use the FSX/FS9 planner. Get the ISG gauge set which will give you the SIDs, STARs, and approaches and then a one-off AIRAC update to match current charts. Then you will not be bound to the outdated procedures of the default GPS. Remember that RC must have the SID and STAR waypoints for the enroute portion to match the gauge waypoints so be sure they are in the .pln file.

Then as your budget allows consider the other recommendations.

There is a freeware FMS somewhere but as to its details I am not aware.

I request again you fill out your AVSIM profile regarding hardware and your sim setup including aircraft you prefer so I and others can make proper suggestions. It saves a lot of guess work.

I'm using the default 738 in FSX.  I actually have a freeware update to the FSX planner that updates all the instersections.  Now about my AVSIM profile, I thought I updated it. I saw a place in my profile to add your setup so that's what I thought I did.  I don't see anywhere else it would be.  About the planner though, I really wouldn't like to go out and purchase those planners.  It would be nice to just use the default planner and add the appropriate waypoints to the flight.  I wish though that there were some sort of freeware planners available that would do just as how you said above.  Thanks much for your help.

To edit profile:

On the top of your AVSIM page (after you have logged in if necessary) click the down arrow where your AVSIM nickname is displayed and click on My Profile. At the top is a button Edit My Profile to click opening up your complete profile editing access. Scroll down to get to the PC and Sim descriptions.

To read another user's detailed sim profile, click on the user nickname by the avatar and a brief profile opens. On the left scroll down to My System, Simulator, and Other Things and click on that to view.

Freeware FMC gauge:

Here is an FSX freeware FMC primarily for GA but looks similar to a Smith's Boeing FMC but also adds the nav view within the the FMC-CDU display. You might find it helpful. Read the .pdf file. It is in the FSX gauges library here:

honeywellfmc.zip

It adds terrain view as a nice feature. The DEP/ARR button lets you add waypoints not in your plan.

I do not have FSX so can't test it. It will give situational awareness and also display traffic.

Now that I know you prefer the FSX B738, I will suggest you consider at some point the payware ISG suite we talked about. It has as a free download the panel.cfg to use with that aircraft:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library⊂=retro_fsx_b738

This download includes the performance profile to assist in your fuel management. Add the one-off AIRAC update and you are good to go to handle dynamic runway assignments especially the approaches. This would be Euro 21 + US$10 for the one-time AIRAC. It will let you devote more time to flying and more versatility for using other freeware aircraft. You will not require the panel editor app to do this.

Similarly:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library⊂=retro_fs9_b744

will let you use the FSX B747-400 for long haul with the same suite.

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library and note the preconfigured panels for both default aircraft and freeware panels

Now, i'm not really pushing you to get payware now but just to consider what these gauges offer especially for terminal procedures. Did the FSX intersection data you installed include the those in RNAV and other approaches? The FAA charts I have been looking at do not give coordinates for these. How do you handle dynamic runway assignments.

Using the PHOG ILS RWY 2 you were looking at neither that nor the RNAV approach had the published coordinates.

Anyway by setting up the default folder structure for one of the aircraft supported by the AIRAC subscriptions, you can get coordinates for all the fixes.

As an example here's what PHOG Fix List looks like for the 738:

FIXES
FIX AARES LATLON N 20 59.91667 W 157 5.70000
FIX APACK LATLON N 24 2.62217 W 156 19.17250
FIX BARBY LATLON N 20 51.65917 W 155 58.79067
FIX BEACH LATLON N 20 40.98350 W 156 32.20333
FIX BIKUZ LATLON N 22 43.80000 W 155 42.05000
FIX BITTA LATLON N 23 31.68183 W 155 28.73017
FIX CAMPS LATLON N 20 39.91567 W 156 36.15650
FIX COEST LATLON N 20 44.90000 W 156 26.50000
FIX COVSU LATLON N 20 49.51467 W 156 29.03083
FIX D012M LATLON N 21 7.12565 W 156 22.47945
FIX D039M LATLON N 21 4.52181 W 156 16.53752
FIX D052M LATLON N 21 2.29497 W 156 14.20765
FIX D056M LATLON N 21 1.65004 W 156 13.71146
FIX D066M LATLON N 20 59.61483 W 156 12.51278
FIX D068M LATLON N 20 59.24880 W 156 12.34799
FIX D344M LATLON N 21 6.91352 W 156 28.98197
FIX D358M LATLON N 21 7.37907 W 156 25.74421
FIX DEKUM LATLON N 21 57.13333 W 154 35.85000
FIX DENNS LATLON N 22 21.80400 W 153 52.83500
FIX DIPPS LATLON N 20 41.59617 W 156 34.91033
FIX F0000 LATLON N 20 57.70999 W 156 23.59841
FIX F0001 LATLON N 21 0.51945 W 156 22.19500
FIX F0002 LATLON N 21 6.29838 W 156 22.91583
FIX FAKUR LATLON N 20 52.00000 W 154 18.13333
FIX FITES LATLON N 20 47.67333 W 153 0.03800
FIX FOGOL LATLON N 21 3.77217 W 156 16.24833
FIX HAIKU LATLON N 20 58.15000 W 156 17.06667
FIX HARPO LATLON N 20 38.48917 W 156 30.92133
FIX HEDAT LATLON N 20 56.62917 W 156 19.93900
FIX HOMAI LATLON N 20 54.15000 W 156 20.05000
FIX HUKLA LATLON N 20 54.45967 W 156 25.35200
FIX IMEBE LATLON N 20 55.71100 W 156 22.04117
FIX ISSNO LATLON N 21 3.60000 W 156 43.70000
FIX JINAS LATLON N 20 50.87900 W 156 27.81850
FIX JOLUN LATLON N 20 46.85567 W 156 24.08467
FIX JUDEZ LATLON N 20 58.45617 W 156 22.37550
FIX KEIKI LATLON N 20 41.15217 W 156 40.70433
FIX KIHEI LATLON N 20 47.62783 W 156 28.14583
FIX KRANE LATLON N 21 5.14067 W 156 17.39000
FIX LNDHY LATLON N 21 10.41667 W 156 7.50000
FIX LNY LATLON N 20 45.87000 W 156 58.13333
FIX LR197 LATLON N 20 39.28417 W 156 33.83767
FIX MAKEN LATLON N 20 34.73700 W 156 25.17767
FIX MIKEY LATLON N 20 58.93483 W 156 22.99967
FIX MOBRE LATLON N 20 59.22033 W 156 13.99833
FIX MUNCY LATLON N 20 57.96667 W 156 22.74083
FIX NNASH LATLON N 20 52.97317 W 156 11.45533
FIX NOWAK LATLON N 20 49.81150 W 156 28.81017
FIX OGG LATLON N 20 54.38700 W 156 25.25783
FIX OGG55 LATLON N 20 59.38983 W 156 22.77450
FIX OLONE LATLON N 21 8.01583 W 156 21.77300
FIX ONOHI LATLON N 20 51.84650 W 156 0.58583
FIX OPANA LATLON N 20 56.64350 W 156 11.58000
FIX PI016 LATLON N 20 41.12320 W 156 30.13986
FIX PI025 LATLON N 21 2.25783 W 156 21.33940
FIX PI035 LATLON N 21 0.96998 W 156 20.48785
FIX PI196 LATLON N 20 44.10315 W 156 29.22650
FIX PI205 LATLON N 21 5.06729 W 156 19.93528
FIX PI215 LATLON N 21 3.50917 W 156 18.58251
FIX PI241 LATLON N 20 42.01769 W 156 33.24691
FIX PI340 LATLON N 21 1.75055 W 156 25.17404
FIX PI350 LATLON N 21 5.20462 W 156 21.28813
FIX PLUMB LATLON N 21 12.70500 W 156 36.08917
FIX PUKUE LATLON N 20 43.55417 W 156 32.67567
FIX R014M LATLON N 21 6.21000 W 156 19.38133
FIX R033M LATLON N 21 3.76750 W 156 15.60183
FIX R085M LATLON N 20 53.01333 W 156 11.45067
FIX R187N LATLON N 20 40.71650 W 156 30.00517
FIX R190N LATLON N 20 40.89217 W 156 30.76033
FIX R190P LATLON N 20 38.69467 W 156 31.67117
FIX R320M LATLON N 21 5.79650 W 156 31.99750
FIX RABAT LATLON N 20 48.79433 W 155 31.69483
FIX ROXZZ LATLON N 21 5.00000 W 156 33.00000
FIX SABAE LATLON N 20 47.81267 W 156 29.85300
FIX SAKKI LATLON N 20 55.90517 W 157 29.30050
FIX SARDS LATLON N 20 32.39900 W 155 42.30067
FIX SWEEP LATLON N 20 58.50433 W 156 0.21350
FIX TEBBS LATLON N 20 46.07700 W 156 31.58550
FIX UNADY LATLON N 22 46.56667 W 156 13.95000
FIX UPOYO LATLON N 21 2.26350 W 156 13.00983
FIX VETAW LATLON N 20 54.77600 W 156 25.11667
FIX VYINB LATLON N 20 52.84583 W 156 26.55917
FIX WABIB LATLON N 21 5.79617 W 156 31.99817
FIX WAMOT LATLON N 20 52.31817 W 156 26.86333
FIX WMAUI LATLON N 21 4.00000 W 156 29.50000
FIX WUNBU LATLON N 20 50.66667 W 156 22.23333
FIX ZEGUN LATLON N 20 45.53267 W 156 27.88800
FIX ZUDNU LATLON N 20 56.75383 W 156 23.91650
FIX ZULUD LATLON N 21 7.93283 W 156 25.47567
ENDFIXES

and the approach to follow showing the fix relationships:

APPROACHES
APPROACH ILS02 FIX CAMPS AT OR ABOVE 3000 FIX TEBBS AT 3000 RNW 02 TRK 024 UNTIL 3000 TURN RIGHT DIRECT FIX OGG FIX R190P FIX CAMPS AT 5000 HOLD AT FIX CAMPS LEFT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 095 LEGTIME 1
 TRANSITION CAMPS HOLD AT FIX CAMPS RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 024 ALT 3000 LEGTIME 1
 TRANSITION HARPO FIX HARPO FIX LR197
 TRANSITION KEIKI FIX KEIKI

So an AIRAC update ($10) might be worth it if these fixes are not in your FSX database. This will allow you  to add user fixes into your .pln file for your GPS or better that freeware FMC to match current charts.

Whatever approach (pun intended) you use I hope this free and payware information helps in your endeavors.

To edit profile:

On the top of your AVSIM page (after you have logged in if necessary) click the down arrow where your AVSIM nickname is displayed and click on My Profile. At the top is a button Edit My Profile to click opening up your complete profile editing access. Scroll down to get to the PC and Sim descriptions.

To read another user's detailed sim profile, click on the user nickname by the avatar and a brief profile opens. On the left scroll down to My System, Simulator, and Other Things and click on that to view.

Freeware FMC gauge:

Here is an FSX freeware FMC primarily for GA but looks similar to a Smith's Boeing FMC but also adds the nav view within the the FMC-CDU display. You might find it helpful. Read the .pdf file. It is in the FSX gauges library here:

honeywellfmc.zip

It adds terrain view as a nice feature. The DEP/ARR button lets you add waypoints not in your plan.

I do not have FSX so can't test it. It will give situational awareness and also display traffic.

Now that I know you prefer the FSX B738, I will suggest you consider at some point the payware ISG suite we talked about. It has as a free download the panel.cfg to use with that aircraft:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library⊂=retro_fsx_b738

This download includes the performance profile to assist in your fuel management. Add the one-off AIRAC update and you are good to go to handle dynamic runway assignments especially the approaches. This would be Euro 21 + US$10 for the one-time AIRAC. It will let you devote more time to flying and more versatility for using other freeware aircraft. You will not require the panel editor app to do this.

Similarly:

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library⊂=retro_fs9_b744

will let you use the FSX B747-400 for long haul with the same suite.

http://isgsim.com/?page=panel_library and note the preconfigured panels for both default aircraft and freeware panels

Now, i'm not really pushing you to get payware now but just to consider what these gauges offer especially for terminal procedures. Did the FSX intersection data you installed include the those in RNAV and other approaches? The FAA charts I have been looking at do not give coordinates for these. How do you handle dynamic runway assignments.

Using the PHOG ILS RWY 2 you were looking at neither that nor the RNAV approach had the published coordinates.

Anyway by setting up the default folder structure for one of the aircraft supported by the AIRAC subscriptions, you can get coordinates for all the fixes.

As an example here's what PHOG Fix List looks like for the 738:

FIXES

FIX AARES LATLON N 20 59.91667 W 157 5.70000

FIX APACK LATLON N 24 2.62217 W 156 19.17250

FIX BARBY LATLON N 20 51.65917 W 155 58.79067

FIX BEACH LATLON N 20 40.98350 W 156 32.20333

FIX BIKUZ LATLON N 22 43.80000 W 155 42.05000

FIX BITTA LATLON N 23 31.68183 W 155 28.73017

FIX CAMPS LATLON N 20 39.91567 W 156 36.15650

FIX COEST LATLON N 20 44.90000 W 156 26.50000

FIX COVSU LATLON N 20 49.51467 W 156 29.03083

FIX D012M LATLON N 21 7.12565 W 156 22.47945

FIX D039M LATLON N 21 4.52181 W 156 16.53752

FIX D052M LATLON N 21 2.29497 W 156 14.20765

FIX D056M LATLON N 21 1.65004 W 156 13.71146

FIX D066M LATLON N 20 59.61483 W 156 12.51278

FIX D068M LATLON N 20 59.24880 W 156 12.34799

FIX D344M LATLON N 21 6.91352 W 156 28.98197

FIX D358M LATLON N 21 7.37907 W 156 25.74421

FIX DEKUM LATLON N 21 57.13333 W 154 35.85000

FIX DENNS LATLON N 22 21.80400 W 153 52.83500

FIX DIPPS LATLON N 20 41.59617 W 156 34.91033

FIX F0000 LATLON N 20 57.70999 W 156 23.59841

FIX F0001 LATLON N 21 0.51945 W 156 22.19500

FIX F0002 LATLON N 21 6.29838 W 156 22.91583

FIX FAKUR LATLON N 20 52.00000 W 154 18.13333

FIX FITES LATLON N 20 47.67333 W 153 0.03800

FIX FOGOL LATLON N 21 3.77217 W 156 16.24833

FIX HAIKU LATLON N 20 58.15000 W 156 17.06667

FIX HARPO LATLON N 20 38.48917 W 156 30.92133

FIX HEDAT LATLON N 20 56.62917 W 156 19.93900

FIX HOMAI LATLON N 20 54.15000 W 156 20.05000

FIX HUKLA LATLON N 20 54.45967 W 156 25.35200

FIX IMEBE LATLON N 20 55.71100 W 156 22.04117

FIX ISSNO LATLON N 21 3.60000 W 156 43.70000

FIX JINAS LATLON N 20 50.87900 W 156 27.81850

FIX JOLUN LATLON N 20 46.85567 W 156 24.08467

FIX JUDEZ LATLON N 20 58.45617 W 156 22.37550

FIX KEIKI LATLON N 20 41.15217 W 156 40.70433

FIX KIHEI LATLON N 20 47.62783 W 156 28.14583

FIX KRANE LATLON N 21 5.14067 W 156 17.39000

FIX LNDHY LATLON N 21 10.41667 W 156 7.50000

FIX LNY LATLON N 20 45.87000 W 156 58.13333

FIX LR197 LATLON N 20 39.28417 W 156 33.83767

FIX MAKEN LATLON N 20 34.73700 W 156 25.17767

FIX MIKEY LATLON N 20 58.93483 W 156 22.99967

FIX MOBRE LATLON N 20 59.22033 W 156 13.99833

FIX MUNCY LATLON N 20 57.96667 W 156 22.74083

FIX NNASH LATLON N 20 52.97317 W 156 11.45533

FIX NOWAK LATLON N 20 49.81150 W 156 28.81017

FIX OGG LATLON N 20 54.38700 W 156 25.25783

FIX OGG55 LATLON N 20 59.38983 W 156 22.77450

FIX OLONE LATLON N 21 8.01583 W 156 21.77300

FIX ONOHI LATLON N 20 51.84650 W 156 0.58583

FIX OPANA LATLON N 20 56.64350 W 156 11.58000

FIX PI016 LATLON N 20 41.12320 W 156 30.13986

FIX PI025 LATLON N 21 2.25783 W 156 21.33940

FIX PI035 LATLON N 21 0.96998 W 156 20.48785

FIX PI196 LATLON N 20 44.10315 W 156 29.22650

FIX PI205 LATLON N 21 5.06729 W 156 19.93528

FIX PI215 LATLON N 21 3.50917 W 156 18.58251

FIX PI241 LATLON N 20 42.01769 W 156 33.24691

FIX PI340 LATLON N 21 1.75055 W 156 25.17404

FIX PI350 LATLON N 21 5.20462 W 156 21.28813

FIX PLUMB LATLON N 21 12.70500 W 156 36.08917

FIX PUKUE LATLON N 20 43.55417 W 156 32.67567

FIX R014M LATLON N 21 6.21000 W 156 19.38133

FIX R033M LATLON N 21 3.76750 W 156 15.60183

FIX R085M LATLON N 20 53.01333 W 156 11.45067

FIX R187N LATLON N 20 40.71650 W 156 30.00517

FIX R190N LATLON N 20 40.89217 W 156 30.76033

FIX R190P LATLON N 20 38.69467 W 156 31.67117

FIX R320M LATLON N 21 5.79650 W 156 31.99750

FIX RABAT LATLON N 20 48.79433 W 155 31.69483

FIX ROXZZ LATLON N 21 5.00000 W 156 33.00000

FIX SABAE LATLON N 20 47.81267 W 156 29.85300

FIX SAKKI LATLON N 20 55.90517 W 157 29.30050

FIX SARDS LATLON N 20 32.39900 W 155 42.30067

FIX SWEEP LATLON N 20 58.50433 W 156 0.21350

FIX TEBBS LATLON N 20 46.07700 W 156 31.58550

FIX UNADY LATLON N 22 46.56667 W 156 13.95000

FIX UPOYO LATLON N 21 2.26350 W 156 13.00983

FIX VETAW LATLON N 20 54.77600 W 156 25.11667

FIX VYINB LATLON N 20 52.84583 W 156 26.55917

FIX WABIB LATLON N 21 5.79617 W 156 31.99817

FIX WAMOT LATLON N 20 52.31817 W 156 26.86333

FIX WMAUI LATLON N 21 4.00000 W 156 29.50000

FIX WUNBU LATLON N 20 50.66667 W 156 22.23333

FIX ZEGUN LATLON N 20 45.53267 W 156 27.88800

FIX ZUDNU LATLON N 20 56.75383 W 156 23.91650

FIX ZULUD LATLON N 21 7.93283 W 156 25.47567

ENDFIXES

and the approach to follow showing the fix relationships:

APPROACHES

APPROACH ILS02 FIX CAMPS AT OR ABOVE 3000 FIX TEBBS AT 3000 RNW 02 TRK 024 UNTIL 3000 TURN RIGHT DIRECT FIX OGG FIX R190P FIX CAMPS AT 5000 HOLD AT FIX CAMPS LEFT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 095 LEGTIME 1

TRANSITION CAMPS HOLD AT FIX CAMPS RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 024 ALT 3000 LEGTIME 1

TRANSITION HARPO FIX HARPO FIX LR197

TRANSITION KEIKI FIX KEIKI

So an AIRAC update ($10) might be worth it if these fixes are not in your FSX database. This will allow you  to add user fixes into your .pln file for your GPS or better that freeware FMC to match current charts.

Whatever approach (pun intended) you use I hope this free and payware information helps in your endeavors.

I edited my profile just now.  Now I updated the intersection data in FSX from http://www.aero.sors.fr  and it works quite well.  So I'm not adding corrindates because like you said anyway, the corrindates are not on there.  For the runway assignments, I set up my own weather and select the departure runway and arrival runway in preflight on the controller page.  So I add all the necessary points in the plan.  I will I add th approach waypoints if need be if the STAR says not to expect vectors.  The only time a problem comes is when there's a procedure turn or arc on the approach chart.  Since I can't of course add points to do the procedure turn/holding pattern or arc.  So I would have to use the autopilot.  I think that's pretty much what I do.  Do you think that should mostly successfully?  It seems to have been fine to me now.  Thanks for all the help and I took a look at the free FMC and looks like that may help too.

I looked at freeware PLAN-G from:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

It works with FS9, FSX, and X-Plane.

I pulled in the flightplan from KBUR-KOAK I created to look at (FS9). I was able to add the MISON waypoint by name (right click on plan view line to add waypoint above or below and enter the name) for the 30L approach. That worked OK. I then saved it in plang format and exported to FS9.

Plan-G can connect as a moving map to FS as well.

I looked at PHOG. TEBBS is in the waypoint database it pulled in from my FS9 install.

Between plan-g and your updated FSX database you by name should be able to add the approach waypoints you want to your plan by examining the charts. They will then show on the GPS or that free FMC I mentioned if you add it to your panel. Plan-G builds its database from your installed scenery including navaids and waypoints. This will give you a map visual reference as you build the approach.

You can also add user defined waypoints as necessary.

The plan-g offers documentation about downloading charts from a specific URL to insert in plan-g's chart database as well.

It has many other features I think you will find of interest in creating the approach view.

A few references to the .pdf manual shouild get you going.

I looked at freeware PLAN-G from:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

It works with FS9, FSX, and X-Plane.

I pulled in the flightplan from KBUR-KOAK I created to look at (FS9). I was able to add the MISON waypoint by name (right click on plan view line to add waypoint above or below and enter the name) for the 30L approach. That worked OK. I then saved it in plang format and exported to FS9.

Plan-G can connect as a moving map to FS as well.

I looked at PHOG. TEBBS is in the waypoint database it pulled in from my FS9 install.

Between plan-g and your updated FSX database you by name should be able to add the approach waypoints you want to your plan by examining the charts. They will then show on the GPS or that free FMC I mentioned if you add it to your panel. Plan-G builds its database from your installed scenery including navaids and waypoints. This will give you a map visual reference as you build the approach.

You can also add user defined waypoints as necessary.

The plan-g offers documentation about downloading charts from a specific URL to insert in plan-g's chart database as well.

It has many other features I think you will find of interest in creating the approach view.

A few references to the .pdf manual shouild get you going.

That looks like a nice software.  Thanks.