Sign in to follow this  

Another (even more) annoying shadow problem

Apart from the terrain shadows not working well on my system (they show up as dark blobs) I noticed another problem with 2.3 today: the cloud shadows are turned on and off depending on where I look. For instance if I look straight forward I see no cloud shadows, when I move my head a little to the left (with TrackIR) I see cloud shadows in the far distance (I have it set to 40.000) and when I look even more left I also get cloud shadows nearby. This means that when I look around I see shadows being turned on and off all the time!!! This is while flying at 7.45 PM.

Darned... this is even more annoying than the terrain shadows (which I have turned off for now). I really don't want to turn off the cloud shadows too!!!

P3D doesn't seem to like me lately. Ever since I got my new PC (which I bought for P3D) I have nothing but problems. To me personally 2.3 is a huge disappointment because it introduces new problems and didn't solve old ones (still have micro-stutters, AA still sucks badly). I am beginning to really genuinly hate this hobby. Seriously. :angry:

EDIT

Just found out the problem begins when the time has passed somewhere around 5 PM. This is on a summer's day. So to 'solve' this issue I will be flying around noon only for now. :huh: What a joke... :mellow:

This could be some sort of lod-bias problem.

Because i have had this same sort of issue with Unrealengined games when i played with the shadow resolution settings in the config files.

The cause could be it is trying to load shadow-mips/texturesizes that are inexistant (it is trying to load a 1024x1024 texture-mip when the highest available is only 512x512, or something), so to make them appear you would need to lower the max shadow texture mip/resolution.

It seems then P3D uses a different shadow texture set for dusk than for day conditions. 

I think it should be fixeable with some cfg edits or settings changes.

btw you don`t have any mentions of textures not being loadable in the ContentErrorLog.txt ???

You should, Well everyone should always have this log set to being generated in the Prepar3D.cfg by adding this line it can make finding the probs causes very much easyer

[Main]
ContentErrorLogging=1

I have the same issues with cloud shadows moving around and disappearing into mountains too. Also have the terrain blobs. Obviously LM has much more work to do.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I'm not getting this problem Jerone, unlike the blob issue... I've set the time to 5.30pm [and later] Summer season, shadow distance 40.0000 and everything looks normal when panning around, with shadows as far as I can see. Could TrackIR affect this?

I'm now running the 340.66 drivers, but I'm sure all was well with the 337's

Maybe these settings in the [GRAPHICS] section help?

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

Spirit

Do you see any obvious differences in shadow quality with those entries Spirit? Will have to give them a try when I get home...

Do you see any obvious differences in shadow quality with those entries Spirit? Will have to give them a try when I get home...

I tried from 256 to 4096 with CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE= X and could see no change. When I lowered the GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=X I did notice the shadow cast from the AC looked soft and blocky, but not much else.

Crappy looking "boxy" cloud shadows here as well. Not all of them. Seems the more off center from the nose of my plane the worse they are.

Edit... actually it seems the further away, the worse they are. They get really jittery and square a few miles out. Clouds close to my plane look good.