Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

P3D v2.3 is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

Now I gotta see if NI actually reacts to P3D AA wise. It didn't last time (which was a known problem)

The problem isn't that it doesn't reacts (which it has always done for me: I never heard that was a problem?) but that it kills performance... and it still does in 2.3. So for now we still have to live with shimmering or using FXAA (which blurs everything). I don't see an improvement in this at all as some are reporting.

337.88 is the one you want for the time being.

Thank you for this, the driver works, no blue triangles with TESS on . Much appreciated . Enjoy your day

Peter

J van E, on 16 Aug 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

The problem isn't that it doesn't reacts (which it has always done for me: I never heard that was a problem?) but that it kills performance... and it still does in 2.3. So for now we still have to live with shimmering or using FXAA (which blurs everything). I don't see an improvement in this at all as some are reporting.

FXAA in 2.3 blurs less than FXAA in 2.2

I tried it out in the past days but I see only a very small blur, very hard to notice.

But, having said that, I can NOT stress strongly enough, that what has me so excited about this version (v2.3) can NOT be captured in a still, screen grab. You are now flying in a real world...through real atmospherics, that have NOT been processed or duplicated by any other sim to date. I am even calling out XPX on this. No other flight simulator, will give you real-time light scatter changes that occurred, as I turned from downwind, to cross-wind, and then onto final to Mackinac Island.

How about a video then? Has anyone already posted one? I'd love to see what everyone is all excited about ...

Cheers & beers

Sascha

How about a video then? Has anyone already posted one? I'd love to see what everyone is all excited about ...

Cheers & beers

Sascha

Take OP's enthusiasm with a grain of salt. I can appreciate his...excitement... but he's made a couple threads that are just over-the-top gushing about "X" product and he lays it on way thicker than seems warranted, in my humble opinion. 

I envy all you guys getting a smooth, stutter-free experience from v2.3. I still have pretty much the same level of stutters I had in v2.2, which made me "throw in the towel". I'm thinking now it's a weakness on my system (not hardware as I'm well spec'd, some elements must not be cooperating). I'll probably have to wait for my next new system in approx 1 years time, then I'll surely test prepar3d again. Because it really sounds like LM nailed it with this update. Just not for me and my rig. 

Take OP's enthusiasm with a grain of salt. I can appreciate his...excitement... but he's made a couple threads that are just over-the-top gushing about "X" product and he lays it on way thicker than seems warranted, in my humble opinion. 

I do understand what you are saying, but I am experiencing something too that I have not experienced in sometime. HDR on with a balance of reflection and shadow quality and ooh la la. The result is really incredible. I do wish I could turn up the shadows. Almost makes me want to invest in something better than my i7 2600k. Then I know I can crank things up a little more.

Bob

I'll add my voice to this. Just tried 2.3 today for the first time and I think the leap from 2.2 to 2.3 is monumental!

P3D V2.x is surely well on its way to be the FS of choice, Hands down. I set my goal to be the highest setting possible

at 30FPS on my system and I cant believe how high those sliders are and that is with FTX PNW, FSDreamteam CYVR and A2A C172.

P3D V2.3 IMO is by far the best enthusiast/Hobbyist FS available today.

Has anyone actually tested memory management on 2.3 compared to 2.2.  I have identical setting in 2.3 as I did in 2.2 and just received an OOM... on a flight from KIAH to KLAX.  This was NEVER an issue with 2.2... so hate to be a downer, but this does not bode well from my standpoint.  

On 2.2 I could fly around for hours without an OOM... and I just received one after 3 hours on 2.3.  Anyone?  What has your experience been?

Right, so I didn't delete my P3D profile with NI. That changed things.

It seems a bit more vibrant. Basically the HDR is much like any ENB plugin.

I'm able to max nearly everything INCLUDING cloud shadows TO AND FROM vegetation and buildings. With autogen set on normal.

I basically stay at 18fps in busy areas, which isn't bad. I can tweak this to hit 35 easy if I turn down the shadows a bit.

Before this patch, I got something like 11 fps and it dipped up and down constantly.

I'm not locking frames at all.

Now I'd like to see what kind of AA I can get out of NI, and if it gives me better frame rates. Also tweaking the shadow resolution in the CFG may still be useful, as the jagged shadows for whatever reason are the HIGH quality setting.

NOTE: I'm now downloading REX 4 SP3, so we'll see how that changes things.

Some screenshots that I do think show the vibrancy and light and shadow. If you can view tham across three screen them you will get the full effect. If not go to view original and then zoom in. Also note the FPS  - I know it's out in the wilds but still stunning across 3 monitors - but even at 20 smooth as can be - also note no distortion

http://1drv.ms/1AlBF9a

Can I ask you guys a question that may seem simple to you all. My p3d v2.3 ( and im not sure how to describe this any other way ) is that in general it appears sort of darl. I think perhaps some of the posters above use the word "vibrancy " to describe the same thing. Im not sure how to increase the general lighting in the sim ( im talking about the general brightness of items ) not the aircraft lighting .

Maybe you are all doing this through Inspector

Regards   
Peter

Some screenshots that I do think show the vibrancy and light and shadow. If you can view tham across three screen them you will get the full effect.

Immpresive!

How do you manage 3 screens without stretching on the far left and right - I use triple head 2go, and accept stretching as a fact of life - can I get rid of it?

Eugene

Well, I've been testing v2.3 for the past couple of days and performance is definitely much better than it was in v2.2. However, I still get a vast amount of stuttering.. I have tried so many different settings but nothing really helps. FPS wise I can crank up most settings to max and still get 30 fps in the AXE. Only clouds really have a major impact on performance while I am not applying any SGSS. 

Other question btw; does anyone know how to get the nights a bit darker? I have been playing with my gamma settings in nVidia config panel, but that makes everything much darker. Thing is that in real life, it is really difficult to see anyhing outside during night time (as a passenger I could not even see the wing), whereas in p3d I can clearly see the wings, clouds and runway. I had hoped that with different lighting stuff in p3d vs FSX there would come some solution, but unfortunately not so far :)

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Has anyone actually tested memory management on 2.3 compared to 2.2

I did a flight from ORBX Cyse to KBFI in the A2A Piper Cherokee in both FSX and P3D2.2 (also one KBFI to CYSE). In all these cases I got out of memory CTD (after about one hour). Doing the same flight in P3D2.3 and got no OOM. So in this regard 2.3 seems to have improved.