Sign in to follow this  
fruitloop

Bought a 4k screen for Prepar3d...

This thread motivated me to go out and get a 4K monitor, settled on the Sony 49".

I can confirm a 20% drop in FPS going from 2560 x 1600 to 3840 x 2160.

Here are some quick screen shots ... (sorry, I currently have no way to record at 3840 x 2160):

WARNING: Very large images (3840 x 2160)

http://robainscough.com/images/ad3240db756f75a11ec07e896bcfb083.jpg

http://robainscough.com/images/ff872f70d835a883e9c4d25859790b93.jpg

http://robainscough.com/images/81ae86e8f545b4d23d23080e518dcfac.jpg

http://robainscough.com/images/e924b9333528c9b315c4af5bb349644a.jpg

http://robainscough.com/images/928fa6238ed8928f2191518c69f21321.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Interesting thread, I almost picked up a Sony 55" 4K 120Hz monitor ($2200) tonight to replace my current 3 monitor setup ... having a no Tax sale at Fry's Electronics.

I currently run just one 2560 x 1600 for main display in P3D V2.3 ... but 3840 x 2160 should mean I don't have to run as high an AA ... LG also make a 49" 4K 120Hz for $1500.

Thanks for sharing, would love to get more details on how it's working in P3D

1.  Any issues with motion blur on rapid pans (pixel refresh too slow causes this)?

2.  Any issues with flicker?

3.  How much of an FPS hit did it induce?

Cheers, Rob.

1. Nothing i have seen yet. My old screen was specified to 25ms and this one is 1ms so I'm going to test it with BF4 later.

2. No problems at all with flicker. I have also read that some people have this problem though. Don't remember if it was the screen or the GPU that was the cause of it. 

3. a little bit, not enough for me to lower the resolution.

F-22 with all ORBX stuff and settings almost maxed out i am in the 30fps+ range (up to 70). 

If you buy the 55" Sony , please share your thoughts later!

If you buy the 55" Sony , please share your thoughts later!

I ended up getting the Sony XBR 49X850B ... very happy with it.  The only downside is that Sony provide HDMI 2.0 ports but my Titan Blacks have HDMI 1.4a ports ... so basically this means the Titans can only operate 4K at 30Hz.  My Sony will work at 30Hz without issues, but I'd rather have 60Hz or 120Hz which the Sony also supports.  nVidia unfortunately have no plans to put in HDMI 2.0 ports ... but "I think" the Display port on the nVidia will support 60Hz 4K ... so I guess I'll have to see if there is a Display Port to HDMI 2.0 dongle I can use to get 60Hz.

It still looks amazing even at 30Hz, no flicker, no ghosting at all and I suppose it maybe a blessing in disguise to operate at 30Hz since it's much easier to sustain 30 fps in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

I've been flying a lot with this 30Hz 4K and I never had a problem

At that high a res, you get less fps anyways, but sometimes I'm seeing 45, 55, and this is meaningless since it cannot go beyond 30

I recently added a 3168 x 1782 modified res which significantly increased my poorer occurrences of fps but causes a little bit of fuzziness around fonts

I don't know about the SONY but I have to keep an eye on the refresh rate when I switch between 1080p and 4K cause it sometimes goes to 23 Hz, a terrible rate for anything. I simply revert to 30

Movies are not as good at 30 than at 60 so since your only getting 1080p anywhere you get a movie, I always watch them at the movie-native res of 1080p, hence 60Hz

But P3D is majestic at 4K

And it makes for a great big monitor for reading, spreadsheets, etc...especially a C++ editor

Agree that this is the year for 4K ... prices are dropping drastically and the image quality is simply amazing.  To consider that three 4K monitors is actually doable and flyable with 3 Titans for < $7K is going really make flight simulation a grand experience ... the edge bezel's are tiny too so it would not be distracting for 3 monitor 4K setup an eye popping effective resolution of  11520 x 2160.

I don't have an issue with 30Hz either, but I'm looking for a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 converter ... apparently they exists but I'm not so sure they can do 60Hz.  I'll continue searching.

My other option is to return the Sony but I'm not finding any other TV/Monitor in this size range that has a DisplayPort, they're all HDMI 2.0.  The HDMI 2.0 cable I'm using is good upto to 27.0 GB/sec ... DisplayPort doesn't appear to be a spec being adopted by several of the major 4K TV/monitor brands so not exactly sure what nVidia were thinking with DisplayPort and only HDMI 1.4a.  Rumor has it the next Gen nVidia cards will be HDMI 2.0 compliant.

Quick update on the 30Hz/60Hz ... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html

It appears nVidia 340.52 drivers do support 60Hz over the HDMI 1.4 port (with some exceptions which may be a show stopper for some) ... but sadly as we all know, the 340.52 drivers don't work in P3D with tess enabled.

Quick update on the 30Hz/60Hz ... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-kepler-4k-hdmi-1.4,27117.html

It appears nVidia 340.52 drivers do support 60Hz over the HDMI 1.4 port (with some exceptions which may be a show stopper for some) ... but sadly as we all know, the 340.52 drivers don't work in P3D with tess enabled.

That only reduces color quality to 25% of full real U-HD

And you would not want that in P3D

Sort of a black and white almost

That only reduces color quality to 25% of full real U-HD

Haven't tried it yet so I don't know how good or bad it would look.

My search for a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter has come up short ... there are plenty available but NONE support 4K at 60Hz.

Do you feel less of a need for high AA now?

Yes ... I no longer need FXAA nor SGSS AA.  With a smaller display than what I'm using (aka smaller pixel pitch) you could get 2X AA to look great.  I'm still experimenting since 4K is a new adventure for me.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, 

Thanks for the pictures of your setup. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a samsung 55" UHD with a curved display for my computer (especially for my P3D2 adventures :) . The setup looks reassuringly good, I'll try to return the favor with pics once it's setup. I have been simming since 86 when flight simulator came out for my Atari 800. Boy have things come a long way.

regards

Jon

....    I have been simming since 86 when flight simulator came out for my Atari 800. Boy have things come a long way.

regards

Jon

Those prop sounds from your ATARI, were they not "convincing" at the time?  :lol:  Like a one piston bicycle for a chipmunk

Those prop sounds from your ATARI, were they not "convincing" at the time?  :lol:  Like a one piston bicycle for a chipmunk

hehe, you know what, I'd love to place the two together just for fun, see the difference 3 decades can do and spend and evening trying to envision how it will look like in 2044. Maybe they'll be flying passenger drones from the ground by then...sigh

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a samsung 55" UHD

Excellent, yes flight simulation has come A LONG way and I suspect will continue developing for many years to come.

On the Samsung, just be aware it doesn't have DisplayPort either, so you'll have to use HDMI 1.4 ports on either nVidia or AMD.  Both (AMD/nVidia) have announced HDMI 2.0 support in the future but as far as I know it's not going to happen on currently GPUs.

With that said, 30Hz is working out fine for me ... 30Hz on my older 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor was terrible cause of flicker, but with this Sony I see no issues at all ... even when I'm working on 2D (Visual Studio coding, Photoshop, etc. etc.).  I guess there is more to refresh rate than just the Hz number.  What's even more mind boggling is that this new monitor only uses 18 watts ... that's considerably less than my smaller 30" HP monitor at 2560 x 1600.

Now I have no excuses for not seeing the PAPI.

Enjoy, Rob.

30Hz UHD is OK for P3D as a lot lock the fps at 30

It is not that good for movies

On the Samsung, just be aware it doesn't have DisplayPort either, so you'll have to use HDMI 1.4 ports on either nVidia or AMD.  

Thanks, I was aware of that. I'm hopeful that the new 880 gtx will have HDMI 2.0 support and are right around the corner coming out in October, pretty sure i'm going for those.

In any case, at least as far as P3D2 goes, the 30hz are just fine and I have had the habit of having the framerate set on 30 which is all I need anyway.

I actually did some experimenting on my friends sony x850B(49"UHD) and they agree with what you found have found;  photoshop and a host of other 2d applications are not affected by it, but the setup is non optimal for fast paced games. That really doesn't concern me but next-gen GPU's probable inclusion of HDMI 2.0 should resolve that.

Regards

Jon

edit for missing word

At such high prices for the Ultra-HD and the video card it has become a niche market and we are all too familiar with the progress rate there