Sign in to follow this  
fruitloop

Bought a 4k screen for Prepar3d...

BTW, here is the response I got from Paradetech.com folks:

Rob, thanks for your interest in Parade products.

We have a DP1.2=>HDMI2.0 HDCP2.2 6Gbps Protocol Converter in Development & expect to have ES by end of Q4’14.

Please advise your company, product, application, MP schedule.

If necessary we can execute an MNDA.

Regards, Steve

Looks like they are stepping it up for 2014 release.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes ... but the issue is recording at 4K on the same computer I'm flying with ... that's the concern for me ... even recording at 2560 x 1600 using ShadowPlay was hard on my system ... I imagine 4K recordings will be even harder (as in stutters and poor frame rates).

Optimal solution would be to capture the 4K output on another computer that has a 4K capture card ... something like BlackMagic designs Decklink 4K Extreme capture card (see here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink - about $1000 capture card) ... this would introduce ZERO performance drain on my main P3D flight computer.

But even with this setup (which I plan to do in the future), my BIG concern would be YouTube ... they mangle and stutter my 1080p and 1600p videos so I can't imagine how they would handle my 4K (2160p) videos.  YouTube has been a big let down for me in terms of playback performance ... so bad that I've resorted to uploading video to my Google drive so folks can download local and playback from local.

YouTube's monetized system is a bit of a joke -- $7 per 1000 views is the claim ... but ONLY if a 30 second ads is watched from start to finish AND the user clicks on the Ad ... sorry, just don't need that kinda chump change nor would I want to force my viewers to watch an ad ... so I don't monetize.  I think my highest views of any Flight Sim video (which was P3D) was just over 14,000 views in 7 months, so maximum potential revenue assuming everyone watched the ads and clicked the ads would have been a massive $14/month ... more realistic estimate would be $1/month.  I think my all time highest views was one of my racing videos at 20,000+ -- but I don't really advertise my channel ... but YouTube is free and accessible so can't really complain - it is what it is. 

Oops, a little off tangent, sorry.

Cheers, Rob.

Great thread. Certainly seems like my single GTX680 will not push P3D in 4K. I figure I'll jump to 4K after building a new rig some time next year. I appreciate all of the insight from everyone here.

YouTube has been a big let down for me in terms of playback performance ... so bad that I've resorted to uploading video to my Google drive so folks can download local and playback from local.

Any reason you haven't tried Vimeo? Their HD is beautiful. Many designers and filmmakers prefer to upload and share from Vimeo rather than YouTube for that very reason. Good luck.

Certainly seems like my single GTX680 will not push P3D in 4K.

Before you draw a conclusion, I suggest running Prepar3D with 4x DSR, that will give you accurate performance figures of 2160p.

Before you draw a conclusion, I suggest running Prepar3D with 4x DSR, that will give you accurate performance figures of 2160p.

Thanks CB, will do.

Hey Rob

Have you experimented with anything like the Acer 4k monitors that have Nvidia G Sync capability built into them? I have heard they might not work with P3D because it doesn't run a true full window mode. If this isn't true then it would seem the G Sync feature built into the monitor would be very useful as the FPS change the monitor would sync automatically I assume and eliminate tearing and possible other artifacts, any thoughts? The model I was referring to is the Acer XB280HK

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Have you experimented with anything like the Acer 4k monitors that have Nvidia G Sync capability built into them?

I haven't used any G Sync 4K monitor.  I don't have any issues with tearing, Vsync and Triple Buffer works well for me as does 30Hz for HDMI 1.4.  But be aware that some 4K monitors already implement features that are almost G-Sync like in how they go about "smoothing" motion - each manufacturer has their own "technology" word for it and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

As far as Full screen mode ... here are the issues around full screen mode specific to DX9 to DX11: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417025%28v=vs.85%29.aspx there is nothing here that suggests a driver can only do G-sync because of Full screen exclusive mode.

Whatever claims AMD/nVidia are making for G-sync has nothing to do with full screen exclusive mode -- most likely it means a significant re-think of driver code/logic to work with the states and AMD/nVidia would rather avoid doing that work since the exclusive mode "fits" their existing driver implementation/design with minimal effort.  But technically there is NO barrier to making G-sync work in any window mode/state.

Cheers, Rob.

On 12/28/2014 at 2:39 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I haven't used any G Sync 4K monitor.  I don't have any issues with tearing, Vsync and Triple Buffer works well for me as does 30Hz for HDMI 1.4.  But be aware that some 4K monitors already implement features that are almost G-Sync like in how they go about "smoothing" motion - each manufacturer has their own "technology" word for it and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey there.. I know this is a pretty old thread, but I was curious what you ended up getting for 4K or if you did.. i thought i saw a post you put somewhere else that you got something large.

I started a new thread in search of an ideal 40" or larger 4k tv or lcd.. Going from three 24's 144hz at 5760x1080 now to 3840x2160 ideally, so i can do shadowplay or windows dvr recordings for youtube in 4K.

I've initially ordered a 4K UHD / HDR samsung 40" (the UN40KU6290FXZA version) for around $397.. as I read more i'm wondering if the responses times on the screen will be too laggy for normal windows usage, see mixed results there, even with game mode / pc mode on..  The samsung lacks the "real" hdr found on more expensive sets (HDR1000) but still has some form of HDR, not sure how good it will be or if it even helps with pc gaming on this particular set.

So i started digging to see if i could find an LCD monitor 40" + alternative.. there arent many out there and they range $750 and up. (with better response ms rates, but all lack Gsync).. my asus 24's dont have built in gsync and most of my flight is p3d/xplane, so 70 fps or less (with some other games too on the 1080 gtx), so i dont think gsync or higher refresh rates are a concern for me (and i fly in VR rift most of the time)

Of the other choices out there, appears these are it for now..

43" (maybe a tad too tall?) dell P4317Q  $1200 

43" Mango UHD430 $773 (maybe some hardware issues)

The Phillips brilliance BDM4350UC. 43" or the 40" or the BDM40650UC (cant find now)

40" IPS AOC VA AOC C4008VU8 curved coming soon for around $960.

The AOC might be a winner but its a tad expensive.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Hello...

Thinking of buying a 4K TV minimum 46..What should I go for..Need some serious advice.

Just bought a GTX 1080, 6700 OC 4.8 Only fly Aerosoft Airbus with ALL heavy add-0ns at high settings. Have 3 normal Nvidia surround monitors. I use P3D v 3.4. In p3d settings  AF x16 , msaa x4.

AA in P3 d is awful. Tried with super grid sparse x2  in NI. Performance is terrible.

2048 x 2048

3 monitors resolution is about 5720x1080 

Right now with new  GTX 1080 and only P3D settings I have no FPS drop in heavy clouds fps 30-40.. But starting with Super great sparse x2 or x4  to eliminate awful AA- the clouds will er decrease fps to 20 fps and unstable.

What TV should I go exactly for - What FPS should I expect? can I still use 2048x2048 to avoid OOM in 4096x4096 

In doubt when you talking about 30,60 or 120 MHz.. Also seen something about 4x4x4 RGB and what about connection HDMI or DisplayPort...?

Normal I'm interested in FPS about 30..

I have GTX 1080, and what resolution should I set.. Thinking of going to 1 TV min 46  4K... instead of my 3 monitors..

So tired of awful AA in P3d..

What exactly should I go for- and what performance to expect- only fly heavy add ons????

Chris from Denmark 

53 minutes ago, copilot767 said:

Hello...

Thinking of buying a 4K TV minimum 46..What should I go for..Need some serious advice.

Just bought a GTX 1080, 6700 OC 4.8 Only fly Aerosoft Airbus with ALL heavy add-0ns at high settings. Have 3 normal Nvidia surround monitors. I use P3D v 3.4. In p3d settings  AF x16 , msaa x4.

AA in P3 d is awful. Tried with super grid sparse x2  in NI. Performance is terrible.

2048 x 2048

3 monitors resolution is about 5720x1080 

Right now with new  GTX 1080 and only P3D settings I have no FPS drop in heavy clouds fps 30-40.. But starting with Super great sparse x2 or x4  to eliminate awful AA- the clouds will er decrease fps to 20 fps and unstable.

What TV should I go exactly for - What FPS should I expect? can I still use 2048x2048 to avoid OOM in 4096x4096 

In doubt when you talking about 30,60 or 120 MHz.. Also seen something about 4x4x4 RGB and what about connection HDMI or DisplayPort...?

Normal I'm interested in FPS about 30..

I have GTX 1080, and what resolution should I set.. Thinking of going to 1 TV min 46  4K... instead of my 3 monitors..

So tired of awful AA in P3d..

What exactly should I go for- and what performance to expect- only fly heavy add ons????

Chris from Denmark 

I ended up going with the 43" (not quite a 46, yes).. sony UHD x800d and couldnt be happier

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43-class-42-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801700.p?skuId=4801700

I first had the samsung 40" but it was too noisy for dark scenes with games (shadows in motion)..

I set it to 4k, i run mostly XP11 now, i get very very good frames in most areas 40+ with 2X AA instead of 4x AA due to the higher resolution which is nice.. p3D also runs well.. i'd say i'm saving maybe 5 fps by not using 3 screens at 5760x1080, i forget the exact number that i had compared.. yeah not a ton but i like having a single screen for 2D when not in VR + trackir

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

What about the 30, 60 or 120 Hz need?

4x4x4 RGB?

Type of HDMI og display port?

And should it be better FPS compared to my 3 monitors?

And will it really make a great visuel improvement?

40 minutes ago, copilot767 said:

What about the 30, 60 or 120 Hz need?

4x4x4 RGB?

Type of HDMI og display port?

And should it be better FPS compared to my 3 monitors?

And will it really make a great visuel improvement?

Visually its astounding, the difference going from 1080 to 4k.. with the reduced need for higher AA, it definitely increases frame rate.. the whole 30 vs 120 is a non issue in my book.. with flight sims they rarely get above 60 as is.. its quite smooth and looks great.

I'm using a display port 1.2 to hdmi 2 adapter with a premium monoprice 18gbs cable (a must and shorter the better, 6 feet ideal, 9 or 10 may work).. i set it to  RGB 60hz mode with no issues on the 1080 ftw hybrid card  (my hdmi is used by the oculus rift)

Have  checked a lot of reviews today of different tvs- may think all new 4k standards tvs is good for p3d??

And should I expect runways without flickering?