Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

Can't Land Properly Post SP1-SP1b

Ever since the SP's were released I have been unable to figure out how to land the T7 properly. I have read the section in the SP1 300ER supplement about fly by wire and the changes to the system. I think I somewhat grasp it but I can't seem to land this airplane properly so I am obviously missing something. I usually disconnect autopilot around 1000 feet and everything is fine up until about 100 feet when the airplane starts to porpoise and at around 50 feet I am pulling up to begin flare and the plane just suddenly drops out of the sky and slams onto the runway. I have adjusted the null zone as suggested but can not seem to change anything in regards to the landing behavior. Any suggestions. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog configured through FSUIPC and LINDA. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Something clearly wrong there with your set up.

Landing is easy.

It should be a stable approach, and just a slight flare [couple of degrees] at the 20 feet call.

You aren't stalling are you? You are at the correct approach speed?

If not, something to do with FSUIPC and Linda perhaps?

Something clearly wrong there with your set up.

Landing is easy.

It should be a stable approach, and just a slight flare [couple of degrees] at the 20 feet call.

You aren't stalling are you? You are at the correct approach speed?

If not, something to do with FSUIPC and Linda perhaps?

That's what I thought but no issue with any other aircraft in the hanger. 

Mike Keigley

Something clearly wrong there with your set up.Landing is easy.

Absolute agree with that. Must be something wrong with your the way your controls are calibrated.

If it is a celibration problem yiu should also see problems during normal flight with AP off (not only during landing flare).

Have you tried normal flight maneuvering?

If I have problems with my setup I just delete the FSUIPC.ini and setup things from scratch.

(also recommended by PMDG if nothing else helps).

Rob Robson

Ever since the SP's were released I have been unable to figure out how to land the T7 properly. I have read the section in the SP1 300ER supplement about fly by wire and the changes to the system. I think I somewhat grasp it but I can't seem to land this airplane properly so I am obviously missing something. I usually disconnect autopilot around 1000 feet and everything is fine up until about 100 feet when the airplane starts to porpoise and at around 50 feet I am pulling up to begin flare and the plane just suddenly drops out of the sky and slams onto the runway. I have adjusted the null zone as suggested but can not seem to change anything in regards to the landing behavior. Any suggestions. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog configured through FSUIPC and LINDA.

Did you try landing at a different airport? Try an inland airport, like Atlanta. Sometimes, with airports in close proximity to the water such as La Guardia, the approach will have you coming in very low and close to the water. I have experienced this phenomenon where coming into these airports will cause the aircraft to slam into the ground.

Mark Javornik

Begin the flare at 20ft smoothly and when the trottles come back make it a little bit effective, but this plane is sensitive, you have to work on that.

Do you have the A2A Accufeel running?

No, I don't own that program.

Absolute agree with that. Must be something wrong with your the way your controls are calibrated.

If it is a celibration problem yiu should also see problems during normal flight with AP off (not only during landing flare).

Have you tried normal flight maneuvering?

If I have problems with my setup I just delete the FSUIPC.ini and setup things from scratch.

(also recommended by PMDG if nothing else helps).

I am trying to avoid that. Setting up this joystick is a real pain. But shouldn't my settings effect every plane I fly? This issue is only with the T7 after SP1.

Did you try landing at a different airport? Try an inland airport, like Atlanta. Sometimes, with airports in close proximity to the water such as La Guardia, the approach will have you coming in very low and close to the water. I have experienced this phenomenon where coming into these airports will cause the aircraft to slam into the ground.

Yes this has been going on since SP1. I have landed at a ton of airports.

Begin the flare at 20ft smoothly and when the trottles come back make it a little bit effective, but this plane is sensitive, you have to work on that.

I can't flare after 20ft the plane drops out of the sky at 50. And this is different to the issue when mesh is st to high and the aircraft just hits the ground early. The plane stalls but I am above stall speed. Thanks for your help, y'all  :BigGrin:

Mike Keigley

I am trying to avoid that. Setting up this joystick is a real pain. But shouldn't my settings effect every plane I fly? This issue is only with the T7 after SP1.

I know deleting the FSUIPC.ini really sucks......especially if you have a lot of controllers or planes to setup :-(

I do not know the reason why the PMDG777 this sometimes needs this.

I think PMDG does not know either.

As far as other aircraft not being effected.....it seems pretty PMDG particular (I do not have any other addon planes installed at the moment, but I am not aware of other addons having the need for FSUIPC.ini deleting)

The only thing I DO know is that doing so has fixed all kinds of strange problems.....from the 777 brakes not working to a completely uncontrollable 777.

I guess it would be a last resort option in your case.

Rob Robson

I usually disconnect autopilot around 1000 feet and everything is fine up until about 100 feet when the airplane starts to porpoise and at around 50 feet I am pulling up to begin flare and the plane just suddenly drops out of the sky and slams onto the runway.

Hi, Mike,

Are you sure you have the correct approach speed?  Are you keeping the autothrottle on during the entire approach and landing?  Are you extending the flaps so that the speed is never below the flaps indicator on the PFD?

I've experienced some porpoising on approach when I don't extend the flaps enough as the speed decreases.  Never just fell out of the sky though. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Make sure that you don't calibrate your joystick or throttles through FSUIPC, PMDG warned about it in Ryan's pre SP1 posting. FSUIPC work with the T7 you just shouldn't calibrate your I/O devices through it.  Hope this helps  because the T7 200 or 300 are very stable in the final  landing phase as others have posted. I usually flare at 50 ft because I like a little cushion above Vref and PFPX usually leaves me with more gas in the tank than I would expect (30,000 Lbs on intercontinental flights and 18-20,000 lbs on domestic flights).

Also, how does your A/C handle hands free ILS autoland approaches, touchdown and rollout? If the automated landings are OK and you are properly configured, I'd look at your I/O calibration. I use Saitek so I can't help you with the Warthog behavior. Before you delete the fsuipc.ini file try to reload the T7 from scratch. Maybe one of their .ini files is corrupted. Unusual but who knows?

Make sure that you don't calibrate your joystick or throttles through FSUIPC, PMDG warned about it in Ryan's pre SP1 posting. FSUIPC work with the T7 you just shouldn't calibrate your I/O devices through it.  Hope this helps  because the T7 200 or 300 are very stable in the final  landing phase as others have posted. I usually flare at 50 ft because I like a little cushion above Vref and PFPX usually leaves me with more gas in the tank than I would expect (30,000 Lbs on intercontinental flights and 18-20,000 lbs on domestic flights).

Also, how does your A/C handle hands free ILS autoland approaches, touchdown and rollout? If the automated landings are OK and you are properly configured, I'd look at your I/O calibration. I use Saitek so I can't help you with the Warthog behavior. Before you delete the fsuipc.ini file try to reload the T7 from scratch. Maybe one of their .ini files is corrupted. Unusual but who knows?

Thanks. I did delete my ini file and let it regenerate.  I will try it again and see if that helps. I understand that it is not PMDG recommended but the software that came with the Warthog  has its own issues which is why I am using FSUIPC in the first place. Maybe if any other warthog users read this they could chime in. I really appreciate the help. I will try your suggestions. I can always put the ini back in later. 

Mike Keigley

Just a really dumb question, what about altimeter settings? Have you tried autoland? Does the same thing happens?

Just a really dumb question, what about altimeter settings? Have you tried autoland? Does the same thing happens?

Its not a dumb question. I actually have not tried an auotland. I have not had the occasion to use it. I like to hand fly the approach unless the weather dictates other wise. 

Mike Keigley

Its not a dumb question. I actually have not tried an auotland. I have not had the occasion to use it. I like to hand fly the approach unless the weather dictates other wise. 

I like to hand fly it as well, if the auto land doesn't work well either, I would uninstall everything, and then re-install.