Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

P3D Advice please

Hi Folks,

OK it is time to try P3D and I am going to purchase this weekend, just need some advice please.

I have a large SSD 240gb with OS on do I place P3D there or on an empty SSD 80gb. FSX is on it own 80 gb SSD.

Also what else do I need once I have downloaded I with to port over my weather engine, airbus several uk2000 airports and Aerosoft airports, however I read there is no night lighting with these unless specifically made for P3D...anyway to get around this. 

Lastly I need a migration tool are these freeware, sorry to sound a bit basic but I do not want to spend ages trying to get all this and then thinking well that was not worth it.

Thanks for you time

The only part I can help you is for migration, use Eastonia migration tool. It is not free but the price is well worth the time and effort it will save you.

I personally cannot wait for developers to start making P3D their MAIN target platform.

Mario Di Lauro

+1 Use the migration tool and you are fine. More and more developers will move to P3D in the next months.

Oh No well I bought it......and have to say Disappointed..the aircraft screen instruments are unreadable I cannot get rid of Vsynch issues constant tearing and this is only with the default stuff.

Performance is poor limited to 30 FPOS hardly maintains it...yes it is about smoothness not in my case...might be Vsynch my GC is doing nothing..30% I tried all sorts of setting this afternoon and I am just coming here now as I do not want to look at it again today!

If anyone can give some pointers it would help...otherwise this might be the fastest refund LM have had....

Frustrated!!!!

but thanks

You got all your knowledge about P3D v2.3 in one day only and checked all the settings? You must be a genius.

Spirit

240 GB is not large. Install a few sceneries and you'll quickly fill both of those SSD's up.

You got all your knowledge about P3D v2.3 in one day only and checked all the settings? You must be a genius.

Spirit

I'm sure FSX was perfect the first day he tried it...

Thank you,

However I am not Genius, and yes FSX was frustrating, I was asking for some assistance not sarcasm!...

Fair enough....you cannot offer anything to assist

Tomorrow is another day...I will try to have another look

Happy Flying

I strongly recommend you install p3d on its own drive... What ever size you have today, you can swap it out tomorrow.

Thank you yes I did put it on its own drive.

Agree I need to spend more time on this as other have pointed out! It is just is initially so disappointing I cannot even read the instruments on the default aircraft..

And the synch......another story just cannot stop the tearing regardless of setting..

Ah well tomorrow is another day

But many thanks

You might check your zoom level.  Mine was set at .31 for the default and I had the same problem until I changed it. 

80GB SSD is not enough. My installation already has 90GB and i'm just starting. MY FSX installation has almost 200GB. You need at least a 240GB SSD.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Yeah my dedicated 250GB SSD is barely large enough for my FSX+addons. I'll def get a 500GB when I migrate to P3D in the near future. I am waiting until I can download and organize all of the latest installers for my payware addons. It's going to take some time and effort for sure. SO MUCH STUFF!

Hi Folks,

OK it is time to try P3D and I am going to purchase this weekend, just need some advice please.

I have a large SSD 240gb with OS on do I place P3D there or on an empty SSD 80gb. FSX is on it own 80 gb SSD.

Also what else do I need once I have downloaded I with to port over my weather engine, airbus several uk2000 airports and Aerosoft airports, however I read there is no night lighting with these unless specifically made for P3D...anyway to get around this. 

Lastly I need a migration tool are these freeware, sorry to sound a bit basic but I do not want to spend ages trying to get all this and then thinking well that was not worth it.

Thanks for you time

You did not mention what video card you are using which if it is not a more recent and powerful card the performance of P3D (and you) will suffer greatly.  What is the CPU, memory etc.?  Also if you purchase additional scenery, mesh etc. your SSD will fill rapidly so use the biggest SSD you can afford.

If you plan to add scenery, third party aircraft etc. you will almost certainly need the Estonia migration tool.  It is hard to do without it.  I forget what it costs but it is cheap and a very wise investment.

Tell us more about your system so we can help you.  Unfortunately there are wise-asses around that just have to be obnoxious instead of helpful to a newbie.  P3D has come a long way, some people are going to complain no matter what.  It demands a pretty good computer to show its power.  So be patient, you will work it out.

Hi jfail

Thank you that's very kind, sorry should have mentioned the spec..

I7 2600 oc to 4.5 gtx 770 4gb 16gb corsair mem all running on a Asus mb pz8

Running 337. Graphic driver as 340 not so good I hear with p3d I cannot for the life of me stop the tearing with synch..

Also set the cockpit view to wide but even zooming in even in the defaults aircraft it is quite blurred..as are the runway lights large as well..

Yes a lot to do but I really need to get the basic right before even attempting add anything.

Many thanks for you reply

Yes the 340 drivers from Nvidia caused all kinds of problems for many of us and we all reverted to the 337 drivers.  Your system seems to be up to the task but I am no expert on the Asus motherboards although I am very seriously considering replacing my EVGA Z97 motherboard with an ASUS (don't ask!!).  I am not familiar with the 770 (I use the 780ti) but the specs look good for it.

A good place to start with video problems is here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=3920

I had tearing problems also but eventually I got rid of them by tweaking the system.  It just takes patience.  FSX was just as bad as I am sure you know.

Don't give up, I believe your system is up to the task and just needs configuring.  One of the experts here is Rob Ainscough who posts a lot and I am hopeful he will see this post and step in to help you.  He has been an enormous help to many of us.