Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Active Skty Weather Simulation?

Guest flight

Well I speak three languages yet I'm not fluent in any.English...nuff said.I picked up french, not very good, but I haf watched Jacque Cousteau menny menny time.And ukrainian. Not very good with this one either, but I'm doing the best I are.

Guest Eric

HI, "To quote: "HiFi Simulation Software has announced the release of ASV - ActiveSky Weather Simulator Version 5."The problem is - it hasn't been released (not even a date set yet). Sort of makes the rest of the article a moot "Avsim probably added the first sentence. I read Others flight sim web site and they never told asv is released.BestEric

> It seems to me the real problem with that front-page>article is the first sentence. I agree. It is highly misleading.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Is Ebonics a language, cuz den I gots me some mad skillz. :-lolMy english when speaking is great, it's my english when typing that tends to be poor. For online, I think I am like most people. I don't feel the need to run 3 drafts to check for errors in an non-formal environment. I dunno when internet forums suddenly became a place where superb spelling and grammar became a must, but to me it's kind of a ridiculous requirement. I'm not going to type my message in Microsoft Word and spell and grammar check it everytime I want to post or scour through dictionaries if I don't have a spell-check handy. If I'm writting a report, business letter, or resum

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest av84fun

<>WAY too late...for you.<Very poor grammar billg. That sentence should have concluded with"...so could this be good?:(

You said:"I dunno when internet forums suddenly became a place where superb spelling and grammar became a must, but to me it's kind of a ridiculous requirement."It's not a must, that is only when the person has run out of reasons to support their argument, IMHO, so they resort to cheap shot spelling, grammar, and punctuation shots instead.IMHO, they shouldn't bother to post at all if that is the best they can do. ;-)Regards,Joeaopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Fortress

> Well, I "got" three degrees and can guarantee you that>fluency in the english language isn't a graduation requirementWell, I "got" four, and you're right, some folks from my alma mater can barely speak english though they are certainly very gifted cerebrally. All I'm concerned with is "is this going to cost me more money" or is it an add-on yo AS2004.5. I'm guessing the former but it isn't clear from the press release.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/conc_capt_ba.jpgConcorde Training Captainwww.BAVirtual.co.uk

I just went and had a look at the frontpage, made perfect sense to me, glad those 3 years of college payed off, :-lolPersonally, I want my weather in the sim to be UN-predictable and more challenging. I could care less about presets, and want more of a focus on as real as it gets, plus performance while maintaining looks.I have been thinking about getting ActiveSky, and while I have used and loved Chris's work since Fs2002, I hope that this is more than just an integration between AS and Chris's work.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

OTOH if the question isn't worded in a way that makes it possible to understand what's being asked asking the person putting that question to rephrase it in syntactically correct English is a logical thing to do.

Guest thefringe

Proper spelling has long been the bane of many an English speaker. English ambiguity and poor spelling fact have also caused bad feelings between some forum members in this thread. In hopes of getting past this unfortunate situation, I will share a story I came across a couple of weeks ago online that will hopefully unite our European simmers so that at least they can avoid future communication problems. Maybe a similar program can be adopted in the U.S."(REUTERS: 10 March, 2005)...European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German (which had been widely favored.) Elmer H. Koppschplaten, a spokesman for Her Majesty's Governmentand himself an ex-patriot German, stated that although he had openly sided with making his native German the mother tongue for Euro-Business, he concedes that English would serve just as well. As a gesture of goodwill to the European Community however, Mr. Koppschplatten readily admitted that English spelling has some room for improvement, and in so doing announced that British officials have accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as 'EuroEnglish'. In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c".Sertainly sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes ar possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they wil go. By the forth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year ze unesesary "o"kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar canges vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trobls or difikultis and evrivum vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru. Forewarned is forearmed?!!!!!!!"

Guest allcott

I certainly agree that this is an `informal` forum (shirts and ties left in the cockpit?) but surely an appropriate level of grammar and spelling is a prerequisite of making oneself understood - whether asking a question or offering a solution?:-)Wouldn't go so far as to say `appropriate` means `perfect`, but I do think it is beholden on those who wish to converse to do so in a manner which does not require additional articulation from others or ongoing further clarification from themselves. :-hmmmOn that basis the Active Sky press release falls into the latest example of `garbagespeak` where pseudo-technical jargon is created to infuse a topic with a fake sincerity and wisdom in excess of that required for the purposes of explanation in an informal forum environment. Do these people work for government?:-xxrotflmaoLet me see - "It's a whole new weather engine, with new clouds and everything. Out SOON" :-wave Allcott